Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM

384 posts, read 594,315 times

Advertisements

"Parental control" isn't something that a computer should enforce. Real, "parental control" is a parent taking the time to talk to their children and explain the dangers of the world and what things we should stay away from.

Relying on a computer to keep your children safe is not enough. Open and honest conversations with your children are the best form of "parental control" there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM

384 posts, read 594,315 times
Maybe I'm just a guy, but reading the report gave me a headache. It just sounded so nonsensical, girls being catty over a guy that they won't even know in a decade. I mean jeez, it's a high school relationship, very few (if any at all) last. It's just so stupid that girls would fight over a guy.....Listening to catty girls is so obnoxious.
And why is a 12 year old dating a guy in high school? This story....

Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I agree with John Rosemond about this. His advice is that it is absolutely NOT a parent's responsibility to be sitting down for hours with their kids helping them with THEIR homework. That's the key point, it is THEIR homework, not YOUR homework. Period. It matters not how hard or easy the homework is or that it's now the year 2013, the principle is the same.

It is not my job to do my child's homework for them, it is THEIR job. My part is in providing them the environment & making sure they aren't falling behind in getting it done. "Help" never ends with just getting them out of a small jam to where they now have got it & can carry on from there, it always ends up being to where you the parent end up sitting down for hours with them while your own other adult-based roles go to pot, and it teaches them that mommy & daddy will bail them out of their troubles.

As for how that pertains to this--well I'm simply addressing the tendency people have to always blame the parents when things like this go wrong. If the parents were totally 100% uninvolved to the point we could label them "absentee," then it might be a valid point. But when the parent has been teaching their children what right & wrong look like & intervening when their hear of their child's misdeeds, & it's simply a case that the parents couldn't have possibly been aware of every single thing that their child is doing, I think it's wrong to blame them. At some point the KIDS have to be held responsible insomuch that when they're told what to do by their parents/teachers etc, they are to DO it. Period.

LRH
I was always stymied by my homework and their's as well. I always told them it was their teachers responsibility to make sure they understood what the homework was, that's what we pay them for. My middle kid's teacher hated me because of it and constantly humiliated him in class as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,731,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Saw the sheriff on TV this morning and he was angry and frustrated that the parents of the accused 14 year old arew in total denial and refuse to see anything wrong with what their cild did. Does anybody wonder why this child is like she is with parents like that?

The parents of the 12 year old are super apolgetic and see that their daughter was under the control of the older girl but accept responsibility for their part in this.

While the mother of the victim did pull her child from school and moved the family who on earth did she allow her child access to a computer or phone? She was aware of what was happening to her child, she was aware of how vulnerable her child was and surely she knew bullying led other kids to commit suicide.

I equate her inability to protect to her child to knowing she had a child allergic to bees but decided to ask her to go pick flowers covered in bees.

I'm sure this family is in agonizing pain and I hope they are strong and can help educate others about what they did or didn't do to keep their child safe. In the end though the 2 girls and their parents and the school all share responsibility for this tragic loss of life. I can't imagine putting one foot in front of the other after something like this.

I do not have children.

Notes:

*Where in the world did Sedwick even get the idea of suicide? I can't remember for the life of me ever thinking about that at 12 years old. Perhaps the bully introduced the concept?
*The sheriff is too emotional about the case and needs to keep it professional.
*I do not agree with any more litigiousness in the educational system. I do not believe parents who are already stuggling, particularly poor parents or single-parent households, should have to face court over bullying.
*You have to remember that not all parents understand the technology these kids have access to. If they didn't grow up with it, it's like a foreign language to some of them. I can also see where Sedwick's mother did what she needed to do. It's not like she ignored the problem. The bully reached Sedwick on multiple different sites.

Last edited by Free-R; 10-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 PM

260 posts, read 908,994 times
Here is an update. Mom of bully arrested. " Vivian Vosburg, 30, steps into frame as the video captures two boys fighting on a bed in her Lakeland home. Before the clip ends, deputies said, she punches one of the boys about 10 times in the head and shoulders as children laugh and curse around them." Mother of Teen Accused of Bullying Arrested Over Video Posted on Facebook | TheLedger.com

The ledger.com is the Lakeland paper

Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Maybe I'm just a guy, but reading the report gave me a headache. It just sounded so nonsensical, girls being catty over a guy that they won't even know in a decade. I mean jeez, it's a high school relationship, very few (if any at all) last. It's just so stupid that girls would fight over a guy.....Listening to catty girls is so obnoxious.
And why is a 12 year old dating a guy in high school? This story....
I wonder if the boy dumping her had something to do with her suicide. Girls this young are not ready for sexual relationships, they're emotionally much too immature to become so intimate and then be ditched.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Bullys come in pacs.... so what one may do watch out for the other ones,,, the kids of TODAY are not what was.. violence, anger and lack of respect arethe soup of the day
Exactly! -- because low-achieving human garbage bands together!

By the seventh grade, at least half of the population is reading to the point where it can self-direct much of its own education; and ought to be exempted from most of the needless regimentation and political dogma defined (and spoon-fed by the NEA) as "citizenship". It's only the riffraff who need to be isolated, stigmatized, regimented, and confined to a place where they can be kept on a short, tight leash.

As a person with a noticeable physical handicap, I endured more than my share of harassment in junior high: things improved in high school, but when I hit the open environment of a campus, my grades went up to Deans' List level.

Promoting autonomy at an earlier stage for those able to handle it would also have the benefit of stiffening new-employee resistance to needless regimentation upon entering the job market. If Granny wants to show off the pictures of her grandchildren while her taxes are being prepared, hire Dumb Billy-Bob for minimum wage, hang a necktie on him, and let him put up with the drivel.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
Here is an update. Mom of bully arrested. " Vivian Vosburg, 30, steps into frame as the video captures two boys fighting on a bed in her Lakeland home. Before the clip ends, deputies said, she punches one of the boys about 10 times in the head and shoulders as children laugh and curse around them." Mother of Teen Accused of Bullying Arrested Over Video Posted on Facebook | TheLedger.com

The ledger.com is the Lakeland paper
And there you have it. Proof that bullies learn the behavior from their parents.

Like I said, the parents need their asses kicked, as well as the girl. She may have learned how to bully from her parents but she will only learn to stop when a teen stands up to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events