Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times

Advertisements

Nevada Student Shoots Teacher, Wounds 2 Others, Commits Suicide

Teacher dead. Student wounds two others, commits suicide.

There have been discussions about teachers receiving training on dealing with students carrying guns, or teachers carrying guns for safety. I suggest, if the teacher had shot the student, there would have been a teacher fired, and lawsuit against the school district by the parents of the student shooter.

This is a no win situation.

I really love the statement by the police chief, "The schools are safe now.". Right, until the next shooting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
and yet the answer is more guns...compare countries with strict gun laws and youll see the drastic change that is needed here. problem is the NRA and gun companies will lie and do anything to make a profit, at the cost of innocent lives...the good ole american way, no one cares about lives just money

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
and yet the answer is more guns...compare countries with strict gun laws and youll see the drastic change that is needed here. problem is the NRA and gun companies will lie and do anything to make a profit, at the cost of innocent lives...the good ole american way, no one cares about lives just money
Well said.

Thank you.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Quote:
Yeah, let's blame the guns...it's not like a deprecated culture can be blamed...

Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Hundreds if citizens carrying guns a few days ago at the Alamo. Not one death, or shooting for that matter.

Tell me again how it's a gun problem, and not a mental health problem?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
No, the problem is that pesky Second Amendment.....

Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Tell me again how it's a gun problem, and not a mental health problem?

When you purposely make it very easy for crazy people to buy guns, it's a gun problem.

Tighten up the background check and then we can talk about mental health problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:19 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Back on topic:

The teacher did what his heart told him to do (I'd likely do the same) but absolutely the opposite of what he was supposed to do, which was to lockdown his room after getting as many students as possible into it and wait for law enforcement.

I'm one of the people responsible for developing, updating and training for my school's Emergency Plan. What the teacher did is what gives me nightmares.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When you purposely make it very easy for crazy people to buy guns, it's a gun problem.

Tighten up the background check and then we can talk about mental health problem.

Since the kid got the gun, apparently stole it, from his house he likely didn't have a background check.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since the kid got the gun, apparently stole it, from his house he likely didn't have a background check.
Obviously gun safety training and responsibility comes with the territory too. That involves properly stored your guns so minors can't access them as easily.

I don't know about this case, but how many times have you read reports of kids finding guns under pillows, in unlocked cabinets, in the car compartment? Too many adults treat guns like toys and that's a big problem right there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events