Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,081,817 times

Advertisements

compassion and empathy are not a result of the environment a child is raised in ..... they are something one either has or does not have.....

Now, that argument might have a leg to stand on if Vick was still struggling and scraping to survive.... but he was a very well compensated professional athlete and hadn't had to scrape or struggle for many many years....

it was just something he wanted to do and thought was fun..... or maybe he even thought it made him cool.... who knows....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Yet they are still alive and the ones that were in this case, many are living in homes having normal lives.

but there were many of them who were tortured to death before Vick was caught......

Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Vick went to prison for income tax evasion, not dogfighting or cruelty (killing failed fighting dogs with his bare hands, etc.). Anyone, and I mean anyone, knows it is wrong to cause great suffering in another being for one's one pleasure. I am glad he lost some money in the process, but he was never punished for his cruelty.
Don't lie.

Vick charged with torturing, killing dogs in Virginia indictment - CNN.com

Quote:
The Surry County grand jury brought two charges against Vick: one count of unlawfully torturing and killing dogs and one of promoting dogfights.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but there were many of them who were tortured to death before Vick was caught......
And there were many, many animals killed by recreational hunting...

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
compassion and empathy are not a result of the environment a child is raised in ..... they are something one either has or does not have.....

Now, that argument might have a leg to stand on if Vick was still struggling and scraping to survive.... but he was a very well compensated professional athlete and hadn't had to scrape or struggle for many many years....

it was just something he wanted to do and thought was fun..... or maybe he even thought it made him cool.... who knows....
Compassion and empathy has nothing to do with learned behavior. If we went by your logic, then people who kill any animals lack compassion. You can still have those things and justify illegal and at times heinous behavior. It is a matter of what you are taught and what morals and values you have.

Why are you avoiding my question? Third time, are you pro-life or pro-choice?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Lie is such a strong word....

he may have been charged with cruelty but he was only convicted of tax evasion..... his pricey lawyers got him a pretty sweet deal....

animals killed for food have no relationship at all to animals tortured and brutalized for pleasure.... that red herring won't swim, so quit trying......

Old 01-29-2014, 11:50 AM

914 posts, read 945,578 times
Quote:
You will see in a moment. Just answer the question, pro-life or pro-choice?
What does THAT have to do with this?

By the way, did you know most of the "pro-lifers" support THE DEATH PENALTY?
And they support the South American DEATH SQUADS?
They're against gun control, they're against nuclear weapons control...
When those people talk about "right to life" they are talking about THEIR RIGHT...to decide which people should live or die!

Thank you, George Carlin, R.I.P.!!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Are they growing up in a ghetto neighborhood in a single parent home? There are a lot of things kids are taught when they grow up in the right environment but when they grow up like he did, they learn to rob, kill, steal, deal drugs, etc. Good or bad, he's a product of his environment just like your nieces.
And all this makes what Vick did okay in your eyes, obviously.

You got nothing further to say that I want to hear if that is the case.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yet they are still alive and the ones that were in this case, many are living in homes having normal lives.
Does that take away the suffering those animals went through?

Let me tell you, I have a rescue dog. She was abused, and then abandoned. I got her as a stray. And she was a BASKET CASE when I first got her.

She is now thirteen years old. She still carries the scars of that time in her puppyhood that I unfortunately could not prevent.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
And all this makes what Vick did okay in your eyes, obviously.

You got nothing further to say that I want to hear if that is the case.
No, it doesn't. I haven't justified anything that he has done. I am showing you how someone like him may rationalize something. Comparing people that perhaps grew up in two completely different environments shows a complete lack of compassion and understanding. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but it explains the source. When kids do not have guidance and are surrounded by negative influences, they tend to do bad things. Justin Bieber is a great example of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events