Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM

914 posts, read 945,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
He has been through the criminal justice system and paid according to what he was sentenced.

I don't know why there are so many people out there who just want to not let him move on from this. You don't think he remembers spending time in prison? You don't think he knows how much playing time, salary and endorsements he lost?

I think rehabilitated felons are probably some of the best examples that our young people could listen to on what NOT to do. Not Vick specifically but I'm sure there are plenty of released prisoners out there who speak to youth about why it's important to live a law abiding life.

I bet if he wasn't a professional athlete, no one would care. Talk about double standards. What if it was a guy not famous, would you all be like this, still?
I bet if he wasn't a professional athlete, the Chamber would not have offered him the keynote spot....or any spot.
sorry, in my book, he does not deserve this. The only thing that would change my mind about it is if EVERY SINGLE CENT of his speaker's fee was donated to helping abused animals.

And even then...I'd buy the ticket to help the animals, but would not attend the speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
dog fighting goes way beyond harming innocent animals..... because of the dog's very nature, it must be tortured and brutalized continuously to be a "successful" fighter.... do you have any idea what they inflict upon dogs on a daily basis?? The bait dogs have sticks rammed down their throats to damage their vocal chords so no one can hear them crying for help while they are being torn apart by the fighters..... the bait dogs also have their teeth pulled out or filed down so they can't defend themselves from the fighters.... the fighters have their ears chopped off by knives or scissors with no anesthesia..... the female breeding dogs are strapped into rape stands so that they can be bred without trying to kill the male... the fighters are forced to wear heavy metal collars and chains to build up their neck muscles and stamina....

pit bulls are the breed of choice because of their extraordinary loyalty to their humans... they will die trying to please the very human who does all of these awful things to them....

shall I go on??
All those things may very well be true and some of them were done in the Vick case, but none of those things equate to outright killing an animal, which is what my point was.

Quote:
what does THAT have to do with this discussion??
You will see in a moment. Just answer the question, pro-life or pro-choice?

Quote:
and yes, someone who can willfully brutalize powerless creatures IS subhuman with an inherent flaw in his psyche.... no compassion at all.... do you think pedophiles can be rehabilitated?? or do you think there will always be that desire just under the surface..... maybe never acted upon again, but it is still there......
I believe ANYONE has the potential to be rehabilitated. If they are depends on them and the resources available to them. I do not see this man as a subhuman or a sociopath as people have suggested. If he was, he would still be doing the dog fighting and the host of other things he did prior to going to jail. All of that stuff stopped once he went to jail. He was clearly a very immature, ignorant young man, that had to go to the lowest of lows to fix his life. I rather him go out and encourage others not to go down his path than a bunch of snot nose arrogant individual who really don't care about some of the poor, fatherless kids we have in this country like Vick was who do stupid things because they lack direction.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
As far as the "let it go" attitude. Think of the worse thing you have ever done. Let's say, you did something illegal and was arrested for it. Would you like to be reminded of what you did, no matter how big or small it is, for the rest of your life even after you have served your time? If you do not believe that serving time should afford someone the right to move on with their lives, then do you think people should spend the rest of their life in jail or do they deserve a second chance?
He is a public figure. So he is going to be reminded all the time.

And let me tell you YOU - as being a non-public figure will still be reminded about it the rest of your life, every time you take a job interview.

Yes, people deserve a second chance, but he should not just be able to pick up the life he had before all this....as if nothing happened.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So again what do you want from him? Death Penalty? Pay your mortgage off?

I hear a lot of people complaining about him, but unless you are doing the same for all the other people who are dog fighting, it kind of makes you look a bit prejudice towards him, don't you think?

I mean if I'm a bastion against something, that is what I am. I'm not going to cherrypick someone just because they are a millionaire. I hope you make this effort to other dog fighters and people who hunt for a sport (by the way, there are many athletes, who make millions who do that too).
Quite frankly, if I had MY druthers about it...Vick would have been hung for six months from his privates for what he did to those dogs.

That or be put into a fighting ring himself...to face the same sort of torture he inflicted on those dogs.

And the same goes for anyone ELSE who fights dogs. Punishment oughta fit the crime if you ask me.

I am the owner of a loving pit bull - they are adorable, wonderful, sweet animals when treated correctly. They get an unfair bad rap in the media because of a-holes like Vick.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
These threads and the responses always makes me wonder.
If Mike Vick was white would he receive so much hate?
I've been to illegal dog fights and there are Just as many white people there as blacks and Hispanics.
I don't give a crap if he was zebra-striped or purple with green polka dots, he would get the same level of hatred from me.

His race has nothing to do with it. His actions were despicable, and I believe he should not be able to return to being a public figure - as if nothing ever happened. He should have some REAL punishment.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Athletes are not role models. They're just trained animals. And frankly, the reverence for sports corrupts America's schools, and elevates violent morons to positions of prominence. Overemphasis of sports is a huge part of what's killing America.
?
I totally agree athletes SHOULD not be role models. because of some peoples obsession with spots they become a "hero" which can be considered a role model.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,080,849 times
Quote:
All those things may very well be true and some of them were done in the Vick case, but none of those things equate to outright killing an animal, which is what my point was.

You will see in a moment. Just answer the question, pro-life or pro-choice?

I believe ANYONE has the potential to be rehabilitated. If they are depends on them and the resources available to them. I do not see this man as a subhuman or a sociopath as people have suggested. If he was, he would still be doing the dog fighting and the host of other things he did prior to going to jail. All of that stuff stopped once he went to jail. He was clearly a very immature, ignorant young man, that had to go to the lowest of lows to fix his life. I rather him go out and encourage others not to go down his path than a bunch of snot nose arrogant individual who really don't care about some of the poor, fatherless kids we have in this country like Vick was who do stupid things because they lack direction.

alrighty then.... go on out and find a reformed pedophile and trust your children with him or her....

immaturity and ignorance has nothing to do with it..... my 5 and 7 year old nieces know that mistreating an animal is reprehensible.... it takes a special kind of innate character flaw to be not only be ok with it, but also to derive pleasure from it..... and that is something that is NEVER reformed out of the "human"

and maybe it stopped and maybe it didn't ... you yourself said, for all we know.... but if he had not been caught, you betchya it would still be going on.....

Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I thought about this last night, and I guess I am a hypocrite. I believe in rehabilitation. Blah, blah...

But when it comes right down to it, thisguy makes me sick. There is no way I could make myself put aside my values and listen to this guy say aanything. He makes me ill.

Even if he was on his knees, begging for forgiveness for an hour, I would
Not want to listen to this guy. Can't do it. He is right up there with John Wayne
Gary as far as I am concerned.

I want to forgive and move on, but I can't. And I have worked with some very bad people in the prison system. But abusing defenseless animals...that is beyond low to me.
Ummm, that is John Wayne GACY....but I digress.
I agree with everything you just said.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale cooper View Post
oh, the drama!

Nobody is asking for the death penalty. We just want him to g.o. A.w.a.y. Forever! And definitely not be held up as any kind of role model. For anybody.
ding ding ding ding ding ding....we have a winner!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM

20,778 posts, read 20,076,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
He is a public figure. So he is going to be reminded all the time.

And let me tell you YOU - as being a non-public figure will still be reminded about it the rest of your life, every time you take a job interview.

Yes, people deserve a second chance, but he should not just be able to pick up the life he had before all this....as if nothing happened.

I agree. He should have lost everything with no chance to rebound - like everybody else would when they commit a crime.

As for me, I would have him rot in prison until he dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events