Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I understand your point, but I can understand especially parents in Raleigh being concerned as they are trying to raise their children to be respectful law abiding citizens, which BTW is more important than fame IMO. They may think it sends the wrong message. For others, it may be easier to let it go and consider him as a possible speaker. Even then, there are better choices.
Or he can be an example of what not to do. I don't necessarily believe that the only people who can positively influence kids are ones who have lived a "straight & narrow" life. Sometimes, kids need to see what consequences are like and what happens when you don't do the right things. The fact that this man has turned his life around after some of the mistakes he has made, could be inspirational to anyone. I certainly wouldn't have picked him as my first option, but I really think people disagree with this because there are a lot of people who still harbor resentment towards him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 AM

8,098 posts, read 10,139,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
He has been a respectable, law-abiding citizen since his release.

He has been a....law abiding citizen since his release.

There, I fixed that for you.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Oh yeah, he paid for his crimes but where's the remorse? He has said he's sorry but not for abusing the dogs; only for breaking the law. That is reason to tell his story? To hold himself up (nevermind those who are elevating him) as a role model? Let's see, why not get Charles Manson; I'm sure he is sorry for getting caught, also.
Do you scrutinize your political leaders in the same regards as this man? There are people that represent us, that have also broken the law.

Who said he is there to be a role model or that he is there to tell his story about breaking the law? What gave you that indication? Sounds like it's about his life story not just the dog fighting:

Quote:
Organizers say attendees of the event will, "Learn the real story about his incredible NFL career, his meteoric rise from poverty to riches and fame, his downfall, and his improbable comeback," according to the event's website.
Let's please not try to fabricate what's happening here to fit your views.

Quote:
As for "paying dearly" for his crimes? Exactly what part of his little itty bitty yearly salary is "paying dearly"? The first half million? Has he donated any of his itty bitty salary to saving and rehabbing the dogs he personally is responsible for harming? THAT would garner him some "let it go" attitude; but I know he hasn't paid that price because I have donated on their behalf. Some are still undergoing treatment at enormous expense.
You do realize he lost a $100 million salary right? And his endorsement to Nike, Reebok (his jerseys), Rawlings Sports, and Upper Deck. How many people do you think can handle losing that much money/income?

As far as the "let it go" attitude. Think of the worse thing you have ever done. Let's say, you did something illegal and was arrested for it. Would you like to be reminded of what you did, no matter how big or small it is, for the rest of your life even after you have served your time? If you do not believe that serving time should afford someone the right to move on with their lives, then do you think people should spend the rest of their life in jail or do they deserve a second chance?

Quote:
And what about jumping right back into a career where he is paid far more than 95% of the people in this country. Where he gets paid annually more than 99% of the people in this rural area of the country could even dream of in a lifetime of hard work.
The other stuff I can at least see your view point, but this is where you are 100% wrong. I can understand your sentiment about the crime he committed, but your issue about how much money he makes, shows that you have a deeper issue than what he did, because it's completely irrelevant to what he did or the kind of person he was/is. This is his profession, this is what he has trained and become good at. If his profession was a garbage man, and he returned to work, you and many others wouldn't care. Your issue is, that he makes more money than you, likely has a better lifestyle than you, and this is all after he committed a crime. This is how he makes a living and provides for his family. As long as he is doing it legally, is staying out of trouble, then why do you care how much he makes?

I tell you what, if you want to fix this, why don't you learn how to throw a football, and ask the Eagles to be their backup QB. Maybe then you can stop him, but either way, he deserves to make a living after he has served his time. He just so happens to be in a high paying profession.

And if you really are upset at him, you got work to do. You have people like Donte Stallworth and now Josh Brent who maybe running around for a chance to play for your favorite football team and they both committed acts that lead to death of people, and at least in Stallworth's case has made millions after the fact. I hope you show the same fervor towards them, as you do Michael Vick.

Or what about all those athletes that go hunting as a sport? Are you going after them too?

Quote:
So no, he hasn't paid the price and he hasn't shown true remorse for the harm he did, only for breaking the law at most, and mostly what I've heard from his lips is his remorse is truly only for getting caught breaking the law.
That's your opinion. I won't argue that. But I will ask, what do you want from him?

Quote:
So let's hold him in high esteem; give him 3rd chances (he used up his 2nd chance when he didn't donate his first year salary to taking care of his victims humanely); and let's all forgive him because he was brought up in poverty or whatever. After all, he chose not to rise above that when he was given the chance to play pro football at an exorbitant salary that most people won't see in a lifetime - and yet they don't turn to torture and abuse.
What? Do you know he was in debt his first year back and had a court order to pay his debtors back? Even with that said, maybe I should tell you how to spend your money for all the people you have done wrong. He could give $1000 for the rest of his life, but his money doesn't necessarily mean he cares. Your idea that money somehow changes how sincere he is completely irrational. Does a father that pays child support on time, mean that he cares more for his child than a father without income who can't financial support their child? According to the Humane Society he speaks on their behalf free of charge. Great, so you can give your money and complain about him, but him speaking has a far more ranging influence than any amount you give.

I think we have to have this prospective, and if you never lived in poverty or been around it, I don't expect you to understand this. His actions were awful. But he was raised in an environment where he was told that it was okay. He rationalized it. He is no different than kids that grow up to be drug dealers, who go rob people or anything else. It doesn't make their actions okay, but what it shows us is that these kids lack positive role models. I have been around kids who were on their way to high school and no one had ever talked to them about going to college because they do not have positive influences around them.

If you are really sincerely concerned about people like Michael Vick, his actions and you want to make sure that no other little Michael Vicks are growing up, then I suggest you get out to these communities where dog fighting has become a part of their culture and teach these young people something better, if you aren't doing this already. It's easy to come on the internet and talk about what this man has done wrong, but it takes a compassionate person who is really sincere about their convictions to go out and make a positive change for not only the good of that person, but society as a whole.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post

That's your opinion. I won't argue that. But I will ask, what do you want from him?

Even though it wasn't addressed to me, I'll take that question.

I want to see him hanging from a pole with an electrified rod in his nether regions, screaming in agony.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,735,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
He has been a....law abiding citizen since his release.

There, I fixed that for you.
No need to fix anything. He has been a respectable, law-abiding citizen since his release.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Even though it wasn't addressed to me, I'll take that question.

I want to see him hanging from a pole with an electrified rod in his nether regions, screaming in agony.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Because he killed dogs? People don't even get death that often for killing people.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,456,107 times
I thought about this last night, and I guess I am a hypocrite. I believe in rehabilitation. Blah, blah...

But when it comes right down to it, thisguy makes me sick. There is no way I could make myself put aside my values and listen to this guy say aanything. He makes me ill.

Even if he was on his knees, begging for forgiveness for an hour, I would
Not want to listen to this guy. Can't do it. He is right up there with John Wayne
Gary as far as I am concerned.

I want to forgive and move on, but I can't. And I have worked with some very bad people in the prison system. But abusing defenseless animals...that is beyond low to me.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,213,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have no issue with this choice. You can't say I'm unbiased since I grew up in the next town over from Vick in SE Virginia. However, there are not many people who go from top of the world to the bottom due to their own choices and make it back to have some success after getting it together. His story is very unique and deserves to be told. If his appearance brings people in and sells seats, I'm all for it.
Well put Dissenter. You certainly have a point. I am not so forgiving and personally would not go to here him if it was free.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,161,306 times
Oh boo hoo, Michael Dogkiller lost endorsements with Nike and whatever. He was in debt after getting out of prison - more boo hoo, phony tears. The man's salary is 16.5 million every year. If he was in debt, maybe he should have sold more houses. Many folks can't afford even one on their salary and their houses certainly are not worth millions, nevermind even $1million each.

As Marie Antionette would have said, "let him eat crow".

Forgive and let live - in luxury ? Heck no.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,396,740 times
How did M. Vick get to play again in the NFL? I thought a felony conviction meant you were banned for life?

Oh, the pass you get is based on "talent"??

By the way, I saw the adoption page for the dogs that were saved and placed all over the USA
after the rescue. While some had to be put down, many were rehabbed and placed with families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events