Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

It's easy to point of finger and say people are bad for not helping the kid, but when it's apart of your life you tend to just ignore.

I spent time in Mumbai, I've seen children sleeping in the streets.. life aint easy for anyone. Can't really look down on someone for not helping every kid they see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Wow.

I guess not all of us are jaded. I would totally give the kid my coat.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wow.

Jaded??? How about people that watch the news a lot??

Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Forget the cold or coat, ask where the parent or guardian is. If none are present, pick up that smartphone everyone seems to have a look up the local service for child welfare and call them. Yes, offer a coat if you have one but that is secondary.

So often people rush to treat or deal with a symptom and not the cause. What good does a coat do for a child sitting in a snowy environment if they have no place to go, were abandoned or worse? First ascertain that there is no continuing danger, then determine the why and then if all is well, deal with the smaller issue.

Very rarely is something as it seems. In this case, once the adult called some agency I bet the child would have volunteered some interesting information of the handlers would have come forward to explain the study. In that case, no coat offer would be needed since it was a staged situation.
can't rep you any more but agree with you totally. things are seldom as they seem. best to involve the authorities such as child services who can sort it out.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Filmed experiment hopes to raise awareness for displaced Syrian children

For those who consider humanity a lost cause, consider this: At least we live in a world where strangers will still give a freezing child a coat. So we've got that going for us.

In a filmed experiment in Norway, a jacketless child actor was instructed to sit at a bus stop and look cold — not a difficult task, judging by the snow on the ground.

What would you do if you saw a shivering child at a bus stop?
The last time I saw a lost child I called the police and waited with the kid until an officer arrived. It wasn't winter, but his parents weren't within a block in any direction, the kid didn't know where he was or where he lived, and I wasn't about to take a kid back to my place by himself.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Jaded??? How about people that watch the news a lot??
Yes, jaded. I watch the news a lot as well. I would still give that kid my coat. My first thought is not going to be, "He's just trying to get over on me, little punk brat, no way am I giving you my coat!", it's going to be, "this kid looks freezing, let me try to help".

"OMG, you're so naive!!!"

No. I'm not. I know darn good and well just how evil some people in this world can be, but what I REFUSE to do is make everyone else pay for that.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Some people would rather help a shivering dog over a shivering human.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Filmed experiment hopes to raise awareness for displaced Syrian children

For those who consider humanity a lost cause, consider this: At least we live in a world where strangers will still give a freezing child a coat. So we've got that going for us.

In a filmed experiment in Norway, a jacketless child actor was instructed to sit at a bus stop and look cold — not a difficult task, judging by the snow on the ground.

What would you do if you saw a shivering child at a bus stop?
What would I do?

Nothing.

Even approaching a child is enough to get you arrested nowadays.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wow.

The most I'd do is tell the kid I had an extra jacket or sweater he could have --- but I woudn't automatically assume a child old enough to ride the buses by himself was dependent on his parents to put a jacket or sweater on him. Plus as long as the bus is on it's way, he'll soon be out of the cold, next time he might listen to his mom and at least carry a sweater in case he gets cold. It's not as if infants and toddlers are sitting and shivering at bus stops.

It's not at all unusual to see a teenage girl in short shorts and a tiny shirt even in 30 degrees. And yes they look cold but I never jump to the conclusion that it's a case of parental neglect.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Call the police ;plain and simple; first thing. Too risk to do what most use to in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events