Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormglitter View Post
There was a plane lost in a lake in NH for five years so I guess a jet lost in the whole ocean could certainly happen.
Yes, except it wasn't lost "in the whole ocean." It was lost in an area roughly the size of the state of Pennsylvania.

It's crazy. I mean, really baffling. Every theory sounds crazier than the last, but the craziest thing of all is that it's simply vanished. I don't blame people for speculating wildly.

Those poor families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You would think we could develop some blast proof, destruction proof transmitter that would put out a strong signal under almost any conditions. I know the flight recorders are pretty tough, but why not something that sends out a strong signal ?

If we can put a man on the moon...............

Don
It sounds to me like it landed on aircraft carrier in the ocean. ( I only replied to you because you have put a few posts in here lately and I have been reading articles in the news) But then again, the plane would have to submerge for the signal to not work, but that would explain a possibility for the phones to be ringing. Or someone changed the signal to where it couldn't be detected. Do authorities know that those oil slicks are from one particular boat?

I don't think it crashed in the sea. It had seven hours worth of fuel and was lost after two hours.. To be honest, the time indicating exactly ( well not exactly) two hours is what stands out the most.

A plane doesn't just disappear.. and the wreckage would have been huge.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
It still could have been hijacked. I've been told that there are cell phones that could interfere with the plane's communication and whatever else was interfered with--certainly I don't know much about these things but something like a cell phone could be rigged to do things.

(Maybe someone else can explain that better or debunk it.) But if the plane was hijacked at least there is a slight possibility that those people might still be alive. After all, there is no wreckage--yet.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM

I need to correct the "landing on the aircraft carrier in the ocean", that I originally typed in my first post. Maybe it's more of a different landing strip by the ocean ( I have never been to China unfortunately) There was also no distress calls from the aircraft.. None... period.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,952 times
what if it's a hoax as in never a plane to begin with

or worse a ploy to tie up a ton of international resources in preparation for something worse where we least expect it and ar least prepared

I suggest this because there hasn't been lots of coverage, or I have missed it, of the family members of the 239 passengers. Passengers from all over surely there is crying , public vigils, interviews with those left behind etc...

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM

Another question I have, is how much plane fuel is needed from Malaysia to China? I think 7 hours of fuel was kind of on the low side to begin with. Aren't they suppose to have 2 extra hours of fuel on an aircraft? I am not trying to start conspiracy theories.. but 2 hours into the flight and missing with 7 hours of fuel, just do not add up.

Also, no distress calls.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
what if it's a hoax as in never a plane to begin with

or worse a ploy to tie up a ton of international resources in preparation for something worse where we least expect it and ar least prepared

I suggest this because there hasn't been lots of coverage, or I have missed it, of the family members of the 239 passengers. Passengers from all over surely there is crying , public vigils, interviews with those left behind etc...
There was a plane. If we aren't hearing the entire story, it could be because they don't know yet or because they don't want to spill it out to the media. Getting the news out to us is the least of the worries.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
I took a similar flight from Signapore to Hong Kong just two months ago...exactly now that I think about it.

I was in Malaysia two months as well. I've been to 23 countries and Malaysia is by far the most clueless. I sadly am not surprised something like this happen coming from this country.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
The Malaysians are looking now far beyond the 100 nautical mile radius. Look at the map with the quadrants they are searching:
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...plane3_624.gif

The plane may have traveled at low altitude below the radar? The officials are not willing to say how far they were able to follow the track after the plane returned:

Malaysian civil aviation chief Azharuddin said the search includes northern parts of the Malacca Strait, on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula and far west of the plane's last known location. Azharuddin would not explain why crews were searching there, saying, "There are some things that I can tell you and some things that I can't."

Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Malaysian civil aviation chief Azharuddin said the search includes northern parts of the Malacca Strait, on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula and far west of the plane's last known location. Azharuddin would not explain why crews were searching there, saying, "There are some things that I can tell you and some things that I can't."

China has deployed 10 satellites to the west also.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...0430717&ssid=h

The search area for a missing jetliner expanded on Tuesday with Malaysian Airlines saying the western coast of the country is now the focus of the hunt, as China deployed 10 satellites to help in the massive multinational effort to find the Boeing 777
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events