Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 08:15 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
In two days it will be 10 years missing.

I guess we'll eventually see if they will search since they won't get paid unless they do find the plane.
Yes, I remember scouring the ocean grid map at the time for hours - the public was asked for help to find the plane - so anything unusual on the surface of water we were suppose to click on.

Guess, later someone would review our markers
It was satellite images of water, sometimes obscured by the clouds.

Eerie then, as it is eerie now to think that some parts of the plane could be still somewhere at the bottom of the ocean.
No bodies would be found due to marine life, etc

Rest in peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 01:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Yes, I remember scouring the ocean grid map at the time for hours - the public was asked for help to find the plane - so anything unusual on the surface of water we were suppose to click on.

Guess, later someone would review our markers
It was satellite images of water, sometimes obscured by the clouds.

Eerie then, as it is eerie now to think that some parts of the plane could be still somewhere at the bottom of the ocean.
No bodies would be found due to marine life, etc

Rest in peace

I had started helping with the grid search but stopped to do something else.

I remember that one image was thought to show stuff in the water but by the time it was checked out, it was gone, so they couldn't see what it was.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Modern day Amelia Earhart.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Modern day Amelia Earhart.

I think Amelia will be found before MH370.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Ten years later and I don't understand how a large modern plane "loses contact". Is there no tracking device on it that cannot be turned off by anyone on the plane??? 13 years after four planes were hijacked simultaneously and turned transponders off, there had been NO, ZERO, ZILCH, progress or improvements to air control being able to track planes with hundreds of souls onboard while traveling over cities and oceans. I didn't believe it then in 2014 when that was the explanation of how a jey could just disappear, and I still don't believe it now.

Simplest explanation is the pilot put the copilot out of the cockpit just like that suicidal pilot did on that plane that hit the Alps. Then he lowered the altitude and crashed the plane while the copilot was unable to enter the cockpit. There's no reason it could not have happened this way.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 03-26-2024 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-26-2024, 07:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Ten years later and I don't understand how a large modern plane "loses contact". Is there no tracking device on it that cannot be turned off by anyone on the plane??? 13 years after four planes were hijacked simultaneously and turned transponders off, there had been NO, ZERO, ZILCH, progress or improvements to air control being able to track planes with hundreds of souls onboard while traveling over cities and oceans. I didn't believe it then in 2014 when that was the explanation of how a jey could just disappear, and I still don't believe it now.

Simplest explanation is the pilot put the copilot out of the cockpit just like that suicidal pilot did on that plane that hit the Alps. Then he lowered the altitude and crashed the plane while the copilot was unable to enter the cockpit. There's no reason it could not have happened this way.
The copilot crashed the plane. The Malaysian government has done a lot to keep a lid on it. I suspect they also know where the plane went down but aren’t enthusiastic about having it recovered.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 03-27-2024, 08:44 AM

17,566 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post

You have to look at the area where it went down. There's a whole lot of nothing there.

As for tracking and power.. I would assume.. First off, if it can be turned on, it can be turned off. Second.. Maybe putting that on par with the black boxes might be wise. I believe those have a dedicated power supply direct from the engines running to them. Obviously, they have to have breakers, in the event of a short. But it, and them, are located in a fairly inaccessible area.

The batteries in them, so far as I know, are just for the '"pinger''

Just FWIW.. I've always wondered how often the black boxes are tested. Do they have a diagnostic that runs every so often and reports back to the cockpit? What about in ye olden days? When they used magnetic tape? How are they tested? Not the 'toss them in the fire' test.. but, just a unit on a plane.. How do they test to know it works? Sorry.. Just curiosity on that..

But, the 'tracker'.. The main one would be radar. Which.. again, back to the area where they were. Radar has nothing to do with what's on the plane itself.. What HELPS radar is on the plane, which is the transponder. It basically.. I hope this is valid enough an answer.. It 'answers' radar with the plane's call and other info.. This is what you hear of being turned off.

So, this being turned off doesn't stop the plane from being tracked, just.. Makes it a little more difficult. A little more.. The information about heading, altitude, etc has a bit more 'play' without the transponder.

They were so far in the south Pacific that.. There was just little radar coverage. The best tracking and them knowing how long the plane was aloft came from the 'phone home' functions of some of the planes' systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The copilot crashed the plane. The Malaysian government has done a lot to keep a lid on it. I suspect they also know where the plane went down but aren’t enthusiastic about having it recovered.

Irony - Person with Facts and Evidence as their status posts rumor and speculation with no evidence.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:08 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Where are you getting your facts from??

Old 04-07-2024, 07:27 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You have to look at the area where it went down. There's a whole lot of nothing there.

Irony - Person with Facts and Evidence as their status posts rumor and speculation with no evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Where are you getting your facts from??
My mistake, it was the pilot, not co-pilot.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-07-2024, 07:39 AM

43,058 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
My mistake, it was the pilot, not co-pilot.
John Kerry said Russia shot down the plane and he had proof although he never handed it over to anyone

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ev...malaysia-plane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events