Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, it will be entertaining to see what happens. Since I'm old and have money (but a lowish earned income) I can follow this path wherever it leads.

BTW, I don't think voting will have any affect on anything. The insurance monoliths have a good strong grip on both political parties. Don't kid yourselves, Republicans.

Anyway, I should have made this a poll. I know there are many, many people who also won't participate. Are any of you willing to come out of the woodwork?
And are you naive enough to think that funding the albatross that is the ACA won't affect Medicare, and thus, your "old person" access to medical care?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
No, I like having healthcare insurance and so do my kids, so you'll have to fight this windmill by yourself, Don Quixote.

Happy hunting.
What he said.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM

600 posts, read 659,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I get my health care through my employer, but if I didn't I would simply pay the penalty. If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions. (Imagine if car insurance worked the same way, I could wait until after the wreck to buy insurance.)

The young people are really getting screwed on this one. We're forcing them to subsidized their parents healthcare.

your kind of attitude is a very significant part of the problem we have with our healthcare system in America!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As do we. Have had it for years paid for our kids' insurance when they couldn't do it, and have been happy about it. And we didn't need the Obamarama to tell us we had to do so.....nor do we need the guv'mint in our healthcare or insurance issues.....
Good for you for getting insurance on your own initiative. Seriously. I wish everybody were so responsible. Unfortunately, some people need a kick in the pants to do so. We see it in this thread. "If I rack up a $100,000 hospital bill, I'll just pay it myself. Cross my heart and hope to die." Good grief, how could anybody believe such blatent baloney. And then, under the old system, because serious health issues like heart disease and diabetes are usually chronic, that person could never get insured ever again. Everybody else had to keep paying their bills until the day they died. It's a shame Obama never bothered to sell the law as personal responsibility. That's what it's really about.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
your kind of attitude is a very significant part of the problem we have with our healthcare system in America!
Honesty?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Make sure you understand your policy. BCBS/TX covers pre-existing conditions AFTER you have been a policy holder/payer for 12 months. It's a semantics thing. Yes! Pre-existing conditions are covered (in super tiny print...after 12 months).

Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Only if it gets overturned.

But not here, I live in a state that requires everyone to have coverage and it works great. Of course, we sensibly have a public option.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As do we. Have had it for years paid for our kids' insurance when they couldn't do it, and have been happy about it. And we didn't need the Obamarama to tell us we had to do so.....nor do we need the guv'mint in our healthcare or insurance issues.....
I'm glad you don't need help. Thank your lucky stars. I DID need help. If I hadn't been lucky enough to get a job with benefits when I did, I would have been diagnosed with stage IV cancer without insurance at 23 years old. I had been denied health insurance previously due to unrelated preexisting conditions between college and finding a job.

My parents are insured with much better, cheaper insurance then they had under my mom's employer (who, besides the last year, didn't offer health insurance). Both have preexisting conditions that prevented them from buying on the private market, and my mom's old insurance was a high deductible that they maxed out within a month, but they still owed a copay over that. And for that, they were paying more than their mortgage. Now, they have Obamacare, and my dad's diabetes is being treated properly for the first time in 5 years. My mom has hope that he may be able to get back to work (though I'm not so optimistic) after chronic, severe nerve pain, near blindness (cataracts - since fixed), and mental illness kept him out of work for almost 9 of the past 10 years - and he's only 56. Turns out, when your diabetes is being treated, you are much more lucid and in a better mood. Your pain begins to resolve. Hallelujah!

Obamacare totally changed their lives. It makes it possible for me to not worry so much about losing my job - even if I had to work two part time jobs, at least I would have health insurance.

You and your family are lucky that you never had a reason to need Obamacare.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
I had mixed views for Obamacare. I used to work for the state and had insurance through them which was great. Things started getting bad and I had to move from my state to a more affordable state. I was living off a pension, but had no insurance. Relatives bought insurance through Obamacare and paid nothing for very good insurance. It is not medicare, it is actually a good company. She went to a world renowned ENT and had a $10 co-pay. I decided to get the same insurance and am paying $36 per month. As a baby boomer over 50, insurance is important. When I had my own business making a good living and then working for the state, there were no problems with insurance. Now over 50, it is important to have the insurance. Just my opinion.
I would love to know where you and other people are getting these plans with $36.00 and $51.00 (another poster) premiums/mo. I looked at Bronze plans and even with tax credits, the premiums were no where near that cheap. Here's an article that mentions Millennials and the premiums they're expected to pay:
How Much Does Obamacare Rip Off Young Adults? We Ran The Numbers. Here Are The Results. - Forbes

Just to mention, it's not only Millennials who are finding the premiums to be much higher than $36.00 and $51.00 a month (a CD forum poster said they were paying that for a Silver plan). Something's not right and the real answers don't seem to be easily forthcoming.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
I like the ACA. I'm self-employed and before it passed I could not get insurance because of high blood pressure and thyroid problems. Now I pay $300 a month for better coverage than I had while I had a traditional job.

I don't know a single self-employed person who wants to go back to the way it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events