Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,038,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Jay Z was an owner of the Nets just a few months ago and he has a company that represents pro athletes.

For the record, I care nothing about Sterling. I believe Jay Z influences more people than Sterling and it's interesting to see how the media treats similar issues that don't involve a white person.
If you are going to try to rationalize your nonsense, at least get the facts right.

Jay-Z sold his portion in the team over a year ago.

This is from April.......of last year
Jay-Z Sells Nets Stake, Earns Warren Buffett-Like Return - Forbes

The story you used in your original post was from April 7th of this year. It's stretch to compare someone that currently owns a team versus someone that sold his stake a year ago.

Second, we already know the media only reports certain stories. Many of the reasons why Jay-Z won't receive the same coverage that Sterling receive starts with the media's ability to sell a story. White racist stories are sexier stories than black racists, no doubt about it, I am sure you agree. It goes without saying, BUT it still doesn't absolve Sterling for what he did.

You say you don't care about Sterling, but then you go on to compare Jay-Z to Sterling, which is obviously the reason why you made this thread as well as other threads. Come on spill the beans. People can see right through you, that you clearly have an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 AM

12,547 posts, read 10,003,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
If you are going to try to rationalize your nonsense, at least get the facts right.

Perhaps you should read the title of this thread.

Now let's try to stay on topic instead of trying to make the thread about me.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,427,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

The story you used in your original post was from April 7th of this year. It's stretch to compare someone that currently owns a team versus someone that sold his stake a year ago.

Second, we already know the media only reports certain stories. Many of the reasons why Jay-Z won't receive the same coverage that Sterling receive starts with the media's ability to sell a story. White racist stories are sexier stories than black racists, no doubt about it, I am sure you agree. It goes without saying, BUT it still doesn't absolve Sterling for what he did.

You say you don't care about Sterling, but then you go on to compare Jay-Z to Sterling, which is obviously the reason why you made this thread as well as other threads. Come on spill the beans. People can see right through you, that you clearly have an agenda.

No its cause the media is PC and cowtows to corporations . . Nobody is really taken aback if high profile black person dislikes white. (shocker)

Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM

58 posts, read 76,606 times
The implied or perceived message behind a medallion can not be compared to actual spoken and recorded words.

Has Jay-Z ever been recorded (with or without his consent) expressing his affinity for or affiliation with the group? Or his disgust with another race of people?

Nice try but you can't compare a rich, white privileged billionaire to a black guy who grew up in one of the toughest areas in New York and made something out of nothing.

Sterling purchased his basketball team when Jay-Z was in his early teens ducking heavy handed NYPD officers as well as other minorities looking to do him harm in the Marcy Projects. Remember New York in the 80s? His influence is a reflection of peoples admiration and respect of where he came from and what he was able to accomplish with all the pitfalls that were set in place like "stop and frisk" and mandatory minimums with 25/1 sentencing ratios for people his color.

If you haven't been there or experienced it you wouldn't understand the struggle so I can't fault you for your opinion.

But the comparison between the two is laughable as I'm sure Jay-Z experienced more racism and targeted discrimination in one year (1991, random) than Sterling has in his 80 years.

I do not condone the message behind the medallion, but I can understand why he might with where he's been and what he's been subjected to. Do you think Rodney King had a new found affection for the LAPD after getting millions in a settlement? So what if Jay-Z has money NOW, it doesn't erase the memories of what he endured to get it.

There's a reason no one applauds prince William or Harry for their hard fought battle out of the slums and into royalty.
It's been handed to them, not earned and definitely not fought for. Not as compelling or admirable as the commoner who actually has to earn their status and money.

Last edited by Astro Art; 04-30-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
The implied or perceived message behind a medallion can not be compared to actual spoken and recorded words.

Has Jay-Z ever been recorded (with or without his consent) expressing his affinity for or affiliation with the group? Or his disgust with another race of people?

Nice try but you can't compare a rich, white privileged billionaire to a black guy who grew up in one of the toughest areas in New York and made something out of nothing.

Sterling purchased his basketball team when Jay-Z was in his early teens ducking heavy handed NYPD officers as well as other minorities looking to do him harm in the Marcy Projects. Remember New York in the 80s? His influence is a reflection of peoples admiration and respect of where he came from and what he was able to accomplish with all the pitfalls that were set in place like "stop and frisk" and mandatory minimums with 25/1 sentencing ratios for people his color.

If you haven't been there or experienced it you wouldn't understand the struggle so I can't fault you for your opinion.

But the comparison between the two is laughable as I'm sure Jay-Z experienced more racism and targeted discrimination in one year (1991, random) than Sterling has in his 80 years.

I do not condone the message behind the medallion, but I can understand why he might with where he's been and what he's been subjected to. Do you think Rodney King had a new found affection for the LAPD after getting millions in a settlement? So what if Jay-Z has money NOW, it doesn't erase the memories of what he endured to get it.
LOL at how blatant racism can be rationalized.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
No its cause the media is PC and cowtows to corporations . . Nobody is really taken aback if high profile black person dislikes white. (shocker)
It shouldn't be that way, but that is how the media handles things. There is nothing we can do about it.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,334,352 times
Your sensational and faulty headline notwithstanding, this is the third thread on this news which came out a year ago.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
LOL at how blatant racism can be rationalized.
Oh the irony

Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Your sensational and faulty headline notwithstanding, this is the third thread on this news which came out a year ago.
If the Sterling tape had of been made 1 year ago and came out today it wouldn't be a big deal?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 6,155 times
Where did I read that black people can't be racist ? I saw that in one of the posts on the Current Events forums. I find that to be a big fallacy, what was the knock out game, a way of saying "I love you". In the event you're not familiar with the Brooklyn NY case the black man that knocked out 7 elderly Jewish people was charged with a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events