Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM

986 posts, read 2,507,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The lifespan of a human is an indescribably small amount of time compared to the age of the earth.

There are so many variables in play its impossible to model any climate scales with any degree of accuracy. Sun activity is unpredictable, volcanic eruptions, changes in the jet stream, etc. We are one volcanic eruption away from not having a Summer on a global scale. How much would that throw off the averages over a 10, 25 or 50 year time?
Humans do have an effect on the planet no doubt. Over fishing, depletion of resources and pollution are all serious issues to be addressed.
Yeah, keep it deliberately vague whenever climate change comes up. Always emphasize uncertainty. Never admit that climatologists actually understand things you don't.

Also, I marvel at people who acknowledge other human impacts on nature but are blind to any ill effects of CO2. Ideology sure runs deep, doesn't it?

I wonder who first started the big CO2-traps-heat conspiracy? Did you know that CO2 was known to be a heat-trapping gas way back in the 1800s. See: The Discovery of Global Warming - A History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I live in Florida and own property here. The evidence of sea level rise is evident everywhere and I don't need any scientists whether for or against climate change to tell me the truth of rising sea levels. Florida ranges from a few inches to a few feet above sea level and any increase is going to affect coastal Florida as well as potentially the aquifer with devastating effects. Except for those who don't want to acknowledge the obvious, as far as I know many businesses, coastal communities and insurance companies all know what's coming down the pike and are preparing for its consequences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/us...ange.html?_r=0

I left Florida and I won't be going back, even though it was the best time of my life (thus far). When I moved there, we had one, maybe two tropical storms each year. And we had a hurricane once every two or three years, and it was almost always Category 1 or 2.

Yes, there were big storms in the old days before massive carbon emissions -- The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, for instance (that was so long ago they didn't even name storms).

But the truth of the matter is this -- now we get several tropical storms each year, and multiple hurricanes each year. And the average strength of these storms is increasing due to the warmer oceans.

Point blank: My hometown is likely to be scoured off the face of the earth and then swallowed by the sea in my lifetime. Let the fools argue against mountains of contrary evidence that mankind has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter. This is a likely event. And I don't want to be anywhere near the Florida coast when it happens.

My opinion: We are not far from the first wave of climate change refugees. (Probably Bangladesh.) When that happens, it will be a civilization game changer. And just wait for the year the East Coast gets whacked with multiple Sandys and Katrinas in a single summer. It'll happen. Statistically, it's certain to happen eventually. It will likely happen sooner than later. And then we'll see a lot of movement around the US, as well.

We are marching headfirst, and mostly oblivious, into what the Chinese call "interesting times."

Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I live in Florida and own property here. The evidence of sea level rise is evident everywhere and I don't need any scientists whether for or against climate change to tell me the truth of rising sea levels. Florida ranges from a few inches to a few feet above sea level and any increase is going to affect coastal Florida as well as potentially the aquifer with devastating effects. Except for those who don't want to acknowledge the obvious, as far as I know many businesses, coastal communities and insurance companies all know what's coming down the pike and are preparing for its consequences.

Brain-dead Republicans are everywhere. Many of them are old, and Florida is full of retirees.

Below is an interesting article on denial psychology. They are so keen to fit in with their buddies that they'd rather lie than admit AGW is a problem. Willful ignorance is clearly partisan, which makes deniers' motives obvious to everyone but them.

Climate change deniers not stupid, just trying to fit in, says study | Death and Taxes

I'd like to see Rush Limbaugh's Florida mansion complex overwhelmed by seawater, if he manages to live long enough to see it. He might finally make a sheepish pronouncement on his program about scientists actually understanding nature better than Creationists.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
MrWillys, what do you mean the glaciers are melting at the fastest rate near the equator? I was unaware that there were glaciers on the equator.

IF any climate change was caused by humans and our government believed their scientists. Why haven't they taken emergency action? First they should halt all wars and direct their energies to address the situation. Such as slamming the door on all immigration. All the new immigrants would be using resources that result in adding to the CO2 levels.
Next they should be put in place a moratorium on new babies.
They should declare martial law to deal with the riots that are sure to occur when they announce a mandatory sterilization program for all welfare recipients.

I don't see any of those things happening, therefore I cannot take any such as "global warming" seriously.
You need to take a course in logical fallacies, as your comments are riddled with them. Surely you understand how entrenched the oil, gas and coal industry is in American government and society? How can you expect quick action when half the people in America don't understand the scientific method?

It's up to the populace to force mass action on this, and deniers are wasting a lot of time dismissing this critical issue as trivial. Turn on any major right-wing talk show and you get nothing but a litany of anti-environmentalism and anti-intellectualism.

I think science denial should not be allowed under the First Amendment. It's getting too dangerous to "agree to disagree" with willfully ignorant liars on this topic. People like Senator James Inhofe have no business holding public office in any environmental context. Creationists need to stay in church and not influence national or state policy-making.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:34 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Climate change doesn't exist anymore, it's call climate disruption now. It's hard to believe any one when they can't keep up with something as simple as a name change.

Every conversation on the subject is a joke. Whether you believe or don't believe is not the question. The question is how do you stop it, if you can.

The original scientists that have admitted to fudging the data have admitted that it is already to late to make any impact on climate disruption, they continued, and said that we need to prepare for weather changes.

The debate is over. If you still enjoy debating this then realize that there are people reading your post and chuckling over it.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

Denying Climate change seems to be a political hot potato for Republicans as for some bizarre reason they seem to be obsessed with denouncing what the Global scientific community is saying about the issue.
I'm not a scientist but if the global scientific community says the Earth is going through an abnormal warming phase due to mans activities ,rather than paint the entire scientific comunity as a bunch of scammers and liars i'll just take their word for their findings than the likes of FOX or Limbaugh on the issue.
More interesting reading on various aspects of GW
The Causes of Global Warming: A Global Warming FAQ | Union of Concerned Scientists

Climate Change, Tropospheric Ozone and Particulate Matter, and Health Impacts

http://www.lenntech.com/hazardous-su...ate-matter.htm

http://climate.nasa.gov/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

Old 05-12-2014, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

A few more points to ponder

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...pper-1.2482731

http://www.universetoday.com/108358/...warming-trend/

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/13

Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Brain-dead Republicans are everywhere.
And so are brain dead Democrats.

I don't hear any Democrats denouncing the President taking an armada of aircraft and other CO2 generators to Hawaii each and every year pumping tens of millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. And for what? To sit on a specific beach he likes?

When the President travels, both 747's go. There are between 3 and 4 heavy lift military cargo jets. There are 2 "regular" jets that carry support personnel. They take Marine One. Prior to travel, a jet takes advance personnel as well.

So, let me ask you this. Do you think President Obama believes Climate Change is real, but just doesn't care how much impact he has or that he doesn't believe in it?

Why is the UN's solution a tax? Why doesn't it just set hard caps for each country based on population? If you told me a common ingredient in baby food was killing babies, I'd say the correct course of action would be to ban that ingredient, not to place higher tax on it in hopes that it might deter its use.

Now, let's talk about some of these climate summits they've had. Are these climate champions unaware of technology called video conferencing or do they believe they use special anti-CO2 when they travel by jet to gather in a city across the globe and this anti-CO2 absorbs normal CO2 that everyone else is producing?

I guess it's kind of difficult for us "brain-dead" people to take climate change serious when the "enlightened" liberals don't take it serious at all. It's like if the "no fur" groups had a fund raiser by auctioning off mink coats.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Why would anybody who's ever taken a science class be unaware of geologic ages?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I always marvel at people who acknowledge other human impacts on nature but are blind to any ill effects of CO2.
Doesn't it follow then that YOU are a source of pollution every time you exhale.? You COULD do your part to reduce this pollution you know, and it doesn't take an act of Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events