Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,050,619 times

Advertisements

What he said was in poor taste but it's not the end of the world. There are uncouth people everywhere - get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 04:28 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,998,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
What he said was in poor taste but it's not the end of the world. There are uncouth people everywhere - get used to it.
We are trending toward not getting used to it. Therefore, I believe everyone should be equally accountable for their words. Say something about Michael Sam? Ban for life. Make fun of people because of the way they look? Ban. Assualt a female? Ban.

Ban hammer of Zeus.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,527,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
This might be the dumbest post I've ever read.

Anyway, fat people aren't a minority. If this trend of competitive sensitivity and victim-hood continues, I think I'm just gonna pack up and leave society.
No. Some lack basic comprehension skills, common sense and intelligence.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,527,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I am really getting sick of some people claiming that black people can do/say whatever they want and never pay any consequences. Give me a break! Have you people been living under a rock? Have any of you ever heard of Isaiah Washington? He made an anti-gay remark about his colleague back in 2007. He was promptly fired from Grey's Anatomy, and barely had any acting gigs since then. I think Grey's actually invited him back recently for a cameo on their show. But the point is, he certainly paid consequences for his ignorant remark. Tracy Morgan got in trouble for saying ignorant things about gay people. Whoopi Goldberg lost her Slim Fast endorsement deal when she made jokes about George Bush at a Kerry fundraiser. Rapper Rick Ross lost his Reebok endorsement over controversial lyrics pertaining to rape. Tiger Woods lost multiple endorsements after his infidelity scandal. Kobe lost some endorsement deals when he was accused of sexual assault. Teyana Taylor lost her Adidas endorsement when she posted tweets making fun of domestic violence. And do I even need to mention Michael Vick?

This is far from an exhaustive list, but it is more than enough to prove that the claim that black people get away with everything is pure bullsh*t. So please, PLEASE spare me the "poor innocent persecuted white person/those mean old black people" routine. How much trouble any of these people get into (regardless of race) usually boils down to one thing -- how much money does their employer or sponsor think they're going to lose by continuing to do business with the person. That's it. If enough noise is made AND if they think the person is going to make them lose a significant amount of money, then chances are high that the powers that be will sever ties with the offender. Otherwise, they may be asked to make an apology and sometimes it doesn't even reach that point. If they don't think the person is going to cost them money, then going after the person is simply not high on their to do list.
None of those you mentioned said anything about white people in general ... What about Queen Latifah, Snoop Dogg, Spike Lee, John Singleton, Harry Bellafonte, Kellen Winslow Sr., Bryant Gumbel, etc.? And they're the racists I thought of off the top of my head. All made derogatory comments about white people, none "paid."
Fact is: It's ok for Black people to rip on white people, but vice versa, not so much.

White person assaults a black person (which is rare), it's a hate crime. Black person assaults a white person or Asian (which is all too common), it's simple assault or "kids acting out."

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-14-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

10,181 posts, read 20,842,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If one can be fired, fined $2.5M and robbed of possessions for not wanting their GF taking pictures with blacks, surely one can be fired for bully tactics toward people's looks.
That's fine, I get the point your making. I'm no fan of Barkley and I certainly do t like the double standards in the media, but somewhere it has to stop. Otherwise where does it end? We can't keep analyzing every word and empowering these watch groups that cry bullying and racism every time someone tries to be funny.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,717,001 times
This thread proves how out of control political correctness is.

If you're fat and don't want to be noticed as fat, do something about it!

Seems simple enough.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,340,314 times
Quote:
Why does one have to be a minority to have feelings?

Is there any wonder why bullying is so prevalent?
Puh-leeze. "Bullying" is when you're a kid in school and a tough guy threatens to beat you up if you don't give him your lunch money. Teasing and telling jokes, even poking fun of a group, is not bullying. Quit diluting the term.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,328,249 times
Quote:
If one can be fired, fined $2.5M and robbed of possessions for not wanting their GF taking pictures with blacks, surely one can be fired for bully tactics toward people's looks.
That is an apple to oranges comparison. Charles Barkley does not have a lot of "big ole women" as his employees. The NBA is 75% black and an owner, with dementia according to his wife, insulted most of his employees and 3/4 of the league. His comments were not simply regarding his GF taking pics or hanging out with black men. He went on to speak in an exceptionally condescending and patronizing manner regarding his employees and unfortunately came off sounding like a plantation owner referring to his slaves.

That being said, I do not believe anyone should be forced to sell anything, especially when his wife owns half of it.

I do not believe in discriminating against obese people, but how would you like to "fine" Barkley for making a joke? You want him banned from tv? This will have to be social punishment, and there are some people making statements.

San Antonio artist fires back at Charles Barkley with amazing mural | For The Win

Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM

9,832 posts, read 11,624,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Puh-leeze. "Bullying" is when you're a kid in school and a tough guy threatens to beat you up if you don't give him your lunch money. Teasing and telling jokes, even poking fun of a group, is not bullying. Quit diluting the term.
Now! Now! remember he's Oppressed
Blacks and Hispanics are slowly taking away their jobs and Freedoms.
Also don't forget 100 of thousands of whites are being targeted by the knock out game.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,717,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Another highly overused and diluted word.

When people bandy about the B word, first I laugh at them. Then I ignore them. Such stupidness I never thought I'd see.

When I was teased as a kid, I was teased. I was NOT bullied, for God's sake!

People Without Lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events