Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:19 PM

372 posts, read 600,970 times

Advertisements

I live near Detroit.

If she wouldn't have broken it up, people would have been like "Where was the teacher?! How could she let this happen?!"

It's a lose - lose situation. I heard she was offered her job back, but did she take it?

I wouldn't. Screw that whole school district. It's horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Getting rid of corporal punishment really worked, didn't it? No wonder we're hearing about more stuff like this in schools! I hope the teacher gets her job back, or lands on her feet elsewhere, and in a better environment.
Yeah, too many people interpret corporal punishment as brutally beating a child. A spanking is not the same as a beating. And some maniacal parents were not fit to reproduce in the first place and therefore are unable to control themselves long enough to differentiate between disciplinary training and physically violent impulses.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:03 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,053,325 times
Corporal punishment never really was much of a deterrent. There's never been a bad kid who straightened out because they got spanked. I find it hard to believe any parent who got spanked or hit as a kid actually thinks it works.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:04 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,461,697 times
What on Earth was the matter with this teacher?

Those two were probably expressing their feelings in a way their culture has taught them. that teacher wasn't sensitive to their culture and upbringing. Did either student have an IEP? If they have violent feelings, there should be a counselor on standby to instantly intervene, by first validating the situation:

I understand, dear student, you are upset over something.

Then, next, offer to de-escalate the situation:

Come on now, lets find another way to validate our feelings

But never criticize their chosen way of handling the situation, never say "fighting is unacceptable" or that will further escalate the situation by not being respectful of their feelings

All the while, simple ignore any blood, broken bones, one or more injured or dead students, because this would be a criticism of the engaged students expression of their problems

If the counselor and/or teacher is physically injured in the ensuing melee, do NOT make any expression of pain, anger, hostility, etc, and most of all do NOT fight back, this will only further show disrespect to the fighters' chosen method of expression

You see, this is a cultural issue. Its called Ghetto, and in that culture, they express their anger, feelings, etc by physically fighting, often inflicting serious injury, even death, but its part of their culture. We must respect their culture

Ahem......that's why I fled the ghetto 30 years ago, nothing's changed.............

Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,498,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Imagine actually being a student that wants to learn in that environment.
That's the biggest failure of how the education system administrators deal (or rather do not deal) with problem students.
Rule One: Secure the environment to be conducive to learning (They don't) FAIL

(In a play on a George Carlin routine) They (the feral non parented, disruptive, destructive etc..) should all be confined in a square state and fenced in and whenever one of the spineless administrator political types does something stupid like firing the teacher they should be fed to the same group of malcontents and thugs they don't want to have to deal with and be made to tame them without any tools and see what they end up doing.
It would make a great reality TV show in the vain of the ancient Roman Coliseum!

Tonight on ABC, Administrator Spencer Jones and the educational elitists removed from the classroom will be forced to deal with those they will not deal with and see how they fend in the land of undisciplined feral un-parented. Tune at 9pm to see which Administrator gets voted off the square in a body bag.

Now a message from one of our pharmaceutical sponsors... with their anxiety and depression pills...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:48 PM

56 posts, read 310,726 times
Thank God I never became a public school teacher --- some of these little criminals would be limping home with black eyes and busted up teeth after I laid down my special brand of discipline on them. I bet their inept parents would thank me, too.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" --- our society is reaping the sins of our forefathers.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM

56 posts, read 310,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You see, this is a cultural issue. Its called Ghetto, and in that culture, they express their anger, feelings, etc by physically fighting, often inflicting serious injury, even death, but its part of their culture. We must respect their culture

Ahem......that's why I fled the ghetto 30 years ago, nothing's changed.............
Are you black, perchance?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,461,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
Are you black, perchance?

It's not BLACK, its African-American, and no I'm not.....whatever is the PC term

I was being saracastic

Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 PM

25,670 posts, read 17,445,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Too bad they don't issue baseball bats to teachers for protection and to break up fights. Preferably a Louisville Slugger made in the USA.
That would be more effective than a simple broom stick.

Too bad she was fired. She should be given a hazardous pay bonus.
If she had know she was going to be fired, she probably would have left the broom sticking up you-know-where. That's where it should have gone in the first place.

The morons are in charge of the educational system. All the way up to Rutgers University, evidently.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,362,916 times
You know what? I work in child protective services, and I'm taking the teacher's side on this one!
Some of these kids are pretty big and will put a hurtin' on you, peacekeeper or not. My dad would have burned my ***** with his belt had I acted and/or talked the way these kids do. I may be a CPS worker, but I'm a human being first! I`m not saying to knock around or body-slam kids, but if some young man gets physical, you break it up by whatever means necessary, then call 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events