Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:39 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,345,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I wish the fast food workers of America good luck in their quest to earn a decent wage. I do what I can to support an improvement in the minimum wage.
You don't have to wait for the law. Do you tip the worker at McDonald's who takes your order? Didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,306,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You don't have to wait for the law. Do you tip the worker at McDonald's who takes your order? Didn't think so.
Fast food workers are not permitted to accept tips.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 AM

51,690 posts, read 25,953,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Tipping would only worsen this sorry state of affairs. Many restaurants pay their staff way below minimum wage as restaurants have been successful in making the case that tips more than make up for their below minimum hourly wage.

Plus, how would one go about tipping the guy in the back at the french frier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That was my understanding. Though I often see a tip jar on the counter at ice cream places and such. It rarely contains more than a few bucks. Certainly, not enough to make up for people working all day for fifty bucks.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,785,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Ohmahgawd! That can't be. I am stunned. Absolutely shocked. There must be a mistake in this report @ Send In The Clowns: 84% of McDonald
No if you read it carefully or more importantly the actual douce from Bloomberg News, what it said was only about 15% of the crowd were employees in mcdonalds uniforms. It has no comment about how many people out of the uniforms were McDonalds employees or employees of other fast food restaurants, or family members of those employees.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No if you read it carefully or more importantly the actual douce from Bloomberg News, what it said was only about 15% of the crowd were employees in mcdonalds uniforms. It has no comment about how many people out of the uniforms were McDonalds employees or employees of other fast food restaurants, or family members of those employees.
If I was an employee of another fast food restaurant, it would behove me to be at those rallies.

"Outside agitators" is code for "a lot of people think what we're doing is wrong."

Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Quote:
Baloney. Subway has tip jars out, as do ice cream stands, and many others. In addition, one can always leave gift cards on the cars in back of such places. That is where workers usually park.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Baloney. Subway has tip jars out, as do ice cream stands, and many others. In addition, one can always leave gift cards on the cars in back of such places. That is where workers usually park.
Gift cards on the cars in the back of such places? This would be in leu of a living wage?

Please tell me you are joking.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Gift cards on the cars in the back of such places? This would be in leu of a living wage?

Please tell me you are joking.
Not joking, as the "no tipping" comments were transparently dishonest.

Honestly, folks are just too cheap to tip. They want someone else's wallet to cover their "charity".

Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Baloney.
Nope. McDonalds states right on their website that crew members are not allowed to accept tips.

Why are crew members not permitted to accept tips from customers? Why is there no bonus offered? :: McDonalds.co.uk

I couldn't find a link for Burger King, but have been told that it is not allowed there either, that if someone leaves a tip, it it goes to the company.

I have seen tip jars in several places like ice cream shops and so forth. I have heard from kids and nieces and nephews that sometimes this money is divided among the staff on that shift, sometimes save up and used for a party for staff, and sometimes the manager takes the tips.

But individual fast food workers themselves are generally not permitted to accept tips.

Several reasons for this. Taxes, awkwardness, takes away from the "team/crew concept" and company concern that employees would give away freebies in exchange for tips.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 PM

I'm thinking that fast food restaurant owners might be concerned that if I slipped the person a couple bucks, they might slip me a large order of fries instead of a medium. Or maybe hand me a soft drink cup "on the house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events