Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,632,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Some of You people scare the hell out of me.... Vet or not some of you are so programmed it is not funny. You can make any excuse you want for illegals to be here but it is BS they can fill out the forms to become citizens like many before them had to do. Until then cry me a river they are doing something illegal and we still treat them with respect as should be they are human beings.

If we can't have a Marine treated with respect in a foreign country that made a mistake, then all of America should be ashamed. After all we do for the many who come here and expect all taken care of which we do.... If they can do that to an American and many of you sit there and think it is fine, then we really are headed down to third world status.

If you don't want to help him or sign a petition, of course your choice your opinion. Sad day in America. He was a young man who is a Marine ( with the intent to protect and serve), he is not a illegal or hooligan, he is not a despot. He made a mistake and needs to be out of there and back home.
Why does it matter that he's a Marine? Would people be striking up a petition if a regular non-vet like me were to have done this?
That shouldn't give him any special privileges, especially in another country! He broke the law, it is unfortunately up to Mexican authorities to deal with it. If someone from Mexico or Canada came across our border with illegal items such as weapons we would not be forgiving, either- and wouldn't care if that person was a vet in either of those countries.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:25 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,114,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
This post isn't for any political attacks. So please refrain from that. It is just to let everyone know that there is presently a US Marine who is being held in jail in Mexico for crossing the border accidently and was not allowed to turn around. He had 3 legally purchased guns in his truck with receipts, missed the turn, called 911 to tell them he had made a mistake and then he was arrested. The tapes have been play on TV and it is obvious he called, he was asking for help, it was a mistake and this is what Mexico is doing to him. He was in San Diego for treatment for PTSD when this happened.

He was stripped, beaten and chained to his bed and has been there for over 2 months. This is a 2 Afghanistan tour active duty Marine who is being treated like this.

We all know how we treat Mexicans who illegally come into this country and this is how they treat US Marines.

Here is the link to a petition that is going to be handed to the Mexican Ambassador to let him know Americans will not tolerate a Marine/US citizen be treated like this.

Please consider signing it.

Thank you

Bill O'Reilly: Petition
The fact that he is a US Marine is irrelevant.

Mexican authorities have arrested US Border Patrol agents who have inadvertently crossed into Mexico while doing their jobs.

After some negotiations between our respective diplomats they are returned after a few days but this marine's situation is entirely different.

First, this guy had not one, not two, but three guns (a handgun, a shotgun, and a rifle) when he crossed the border and he was not out in the middle of the desert where the international boundary is not clearly marked. He was traveling on a highway with huge signs that clearly warn that you are about to cross the border.

Second, he lied to Mexican authorities by claiming that he was confused because he had never been there before, however, Mexican authorizes have surveillance footage showing him crossing the border at least one previous time.

Third, he was caught attempting to escape from the prison where he is being held.

There is more to this story than Fox News is reporting and I would wait to see what other revelations are uncovered before painting him as a victim and signing any petition.

He may turn out to be a criminal just like any other criminal, his status as a marine notwithstanding.

Hearing delayed for Marine jailed in Mexico on weapons charges*-*Los Angeles Times

Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,043,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
He is an idiot. Mexico should keep him locked up for a while to make sure he doesn't kill someone in the USA.
Exactly. He admittedly is suffering from severe mental problems, and yet he was driving around with his trunk filled with semi-automatic weapons. If we had any type of reasonable gun control in this country, his guns would have been confiscated before he ever even got to Mexico. Only in the US can you be mentally incompetent, and still be allowed to carry around that type of firepower.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Kaboom, that was not where he crossed. So the picutres of the signs you are posting are incorrect. There was construction going on and the signs had been removed and there was only 1 cardboard sign on the ground that night. They have shown the photo on TV. Since this, they have not put up a big sign.
The 911 dispatcher told him that the warning signs were there, and he should have seen them. All of the roads to Mexico have those large signs, before the border.

What part of
"WARNING
ILLEGAL TO CARRY
FIREARMS / AMMUNITION
INTO MEXICO
PENALTY - PRISION
BY MEXICAN LAW"
is difficult to understand?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 PM

597 posts, read 1,444,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Exactly. He admittedly is suffering from severe mental problems, and yet he was driving around with his trunk filled with semi-automatic weapons. If we had any type of reasonable gun control in this country, his guns would have been confiscated before he ever even got to Mexico. Only in the US can you be mentally incompetent, and still be allowed to carry around that type of firepower.
Wow, talk about spin....have you followed this story at all? Where did you get that he has "severe mental problems?" He did have PTSD but people with PTSD are capable of functioning. They are cops, teachers, engineers, managers,etc. They happen to work in all sorts of careers. Do you think they should be locked up?

He was MOVING to San Diego which is why he had ALL of his possessions. Your comment that he had a "trunk filled with semi-automatic weapons" proves you have not read/watched the video's. He wasn't in a car with a trunk, he had a truck. When he called 911 he told the woman he had 3 guns and when he was stopped at the border he told them he had 3 guns. He was not some luntatic driving around with a "trunk filled with semi-automatic guns". He was MOVING!!!!!

I find it amazing that all I did was post a link and asked if people wanted to support the Marine with just a signature, please do, if not, then move along. Now there are 5 pages of attacks against this man, all of which are calling him a liar a nut, a maniac, idiot, etc.

Now it has morphed into a cheering section for gun control. No wonder this country is in such sad shape.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 PM

374 posts, read 492,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
He is not an active duty marine. He was a marine reservist and was discharged in 2012. Why he's driving around socal with three weapons in his car in the first place? If they are military issue, two of them are not legal to possess in California, anyway. If he was a "real" active duty marine, the marine brass would already be involved, but they are not and have not made any statement to the media.

"The training is very close if not similar and when it comes to active duty in the defense of the nation, the marine reservist dies side by side with the active duty marine. While army reserve jobs have many pros, the marine jobs take all the credit, and deservedly so. This is simply the best and most prestigious force to belong to, whether on reserve or active duty basis."

Source armyreservejobs

Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Wow, talk about spin....have you followed this story at all? Where did you get that he has "severe mental problems?" He did have PTSD but people with PTSD are capable of functioning. They are cops, teachers, engineers, managers,etc. They happen to work in all sorts of careers. Do you think they should be locked up?

He was MOVING to San Diego which is why he had ALL of his possessions. Your comment that he had a "trunk filled with semi-automatic weapons" proves you have not read/watched the video's. He wasn't in a car with a trunk, he had a truck. When he called 911 he told the woman he had 3 guns and when he was stopped at the border he told them he had 3 guns. He was not some luntatic driving around with a "trunk filled with semi-automatic guns". He was MOVING!!!!!

I find it amazing that all I did was post a link and asked if people wanted to support the Marine with just a signature, please do, if not, then move along. Now there are 5 pages of attacks against this man, all of which are calling him a liar a nut, a maniac, idiot, etc.

Now it has morphed into a cheering section for gun control. No wonder this country is in such sad shape.
If he was moving, why was he in Mexico to begin with? Oh, I've got my clothes and all my stuff and some guns, I think I'll just hop on over the border for a margarita.

It's in bad shape because of folks like you who don't think people should be held responsible for their actions.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I think we really need to keep an eye on this story. I can just imagine the field day the quasi-militia groups, right-wing shils, war mongers and and those of that ilk will have with this story. A U.S. Marine accidentally drives into Mexico with guns---yeeeeaaahhhh riiiiight. And then he is held and beaten by Mexican law. I am sorry if he's been chained and beaten (that's not right), but I find it very hard to swallow that he accidentally drove into Mexico. I have driven to Mexico so many times I've lost count---and trust me, there's really no way to do it accidentally.
Maybe he thought this was the drive through for Taco Bell.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Irrelevant. Why would you think the fact that he purchased the guns legally would have any bearing on the case? Mexican law is clear. You can't bring guns into Mexico, period. Legally purchased or not. The guns were illegal in Mexico. I can't even count the number of times I have read stories about American's getting arrested in Mexico for this type of thing. I have no sympathy for fools like this.
Agree totally, and I'm tired of hearing about this BS case. People think he's a hero just because he's a soldier, and therefore they've chosen to turn a blind eye to his stupidity.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Why does it matter that he's a Marine? Would people be striking up a petition if a regular non-vet like me were to have done this?
That shouldn't give him any special privileges, especially in another country! He broke the law, it is unfortunately up to Mexican authorities to deal with it. If someone from Mexico or Canada came across our border with illegal items such as weapons we would not be forgiving, either- and wouldn't care if that person was a vet in either of those countries.
Thats what gets me. The double standard of the Faux News people. Americans should be able to take their guns into Mexico, regardless of Mexican law. Because that's their "god given right". But if some Mexican guy sneaks across the border to get a job at Walmart, he has no right to do that. He is an "illegal". Which is worse then a child killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events