Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times

Advertisements

If I were to suffer a mechanical breakdown and were unable to move the vehicle out of the fast lane to the shoulder and someone hits me, it is a tragic accident. If I knowingly stop my vehicle in that same lane and do nothing to warn oncoming traffic, it is negligence.

The difference between manslaughter and murder is only intent. A vehicle causing a road hazard through no intent is just a hazard while that vehicle left there by intent is a totally different matter.

This woman caused a situation to exist and must face the consequences for it. The proximate cause of the accident was not the speeding or following too close. If the cyclist was moving at the speed limit and suddenly became aware of the stopped vehicle he still would have crashed as evident by his wife laying down her bike even with more notice and her lower vehicle speed. There is no way to determine if having more distance between him and the camper would have permitted a quicker reaction due to the other distractions noted at the scene and the fact that the camper in front of him, even further ahead, would have blocked his vision until after it swerved.

I think her thoughtless action is the cause of the accident and other contributing factors are only minimal secondary considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Johnrex:

You did a good job of summarising the situation , and why she was convicted on all four charges, two of Dangerous Driving Causing Death ( one for each person that died ) and two charges of Criminal Negligence Causing Death. The Crown Attorney used very similar wording, in his summation, to the jury.

Please remember these facts...Not only did she STOP her car on the live lane of a highway, She got out of it and was trying to herd a bunch of baby ducks along the pavement. In my opinion, that is NOT the same thing as a vehicle that momentarily stops, due to other vehicles having stopped ahead of it, and then moves on, again.

Both charges come under the Criminal Code of Canada, not Quebec Provincial law. Canada , unlike the USA, has ONE national Criminal Code, that applies in ALL parts of Canada. Provinces and Territories can only enact laws that apply to THEIR jurisdiction. Examples would be the Quebec mental health act, or the Manitoba Fish and Game regulations.

It remains to be seen what the sentencing Justice will decide, for punishment, and as a public notice, to prevent future acts, such as this.

I predict a sentence of from six to eight years, in a Federal Prison. Federal time, because she was convicted under Federal statue, the CCoC.

Jim B. Toronto.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 06-26-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OK he was going 15mph over the speed limit, he wasnt going any faster than the trailer in front of him, i doubt he was tailgating as none of the witnesses have testified that he was driving in an abnormal fashion,his only error was following at a normal distance behind the trailer and not following a half mile behind that trailer.And for that error in judgement he and his daughter are now dead thanks to some nutjob who thought it a good idea to stop in the middle of an expressway to tend the cute little ducks.
Obviously the biker has paid the supreme price for his actions, which leaves our duck woman, what do you think her penalty should be?
Something along the lines of traffic violation and negligence but nothing with the words murder or manslaughter involved.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Something along the lines of traffic violation and negligence but nothing with the words murder or manslaughter involved.
Sentiment from the talk shows here in the city isnt seeing what point would be served by dishing out a long jail time for the woman as obviously she's learned her lesson and wont stop on the highway again for ducks she also has to live with the fact that her stupidity cost the lives of 2 people, most people are thinking it was a tragic accident and the penalty should be something on the order of license suspension for 5 years and a hefty dose of community service.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Whatever happened to the ducks?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sentiment from the talk shows here in the city isnt seeing what point would be served by dishing out a long jail time for the woman as obviously she's learned her lesson and wont stop on the highway again for ducks she also has to live with the fact that her stupidity cost the lives of 2 people, most people are thinking it was a tragic accident and the penalty should be something on the order of license suspension for 5 years and a hefty dose of community service.
I agree.

I would agree with no license ever, but I tend to be a hard ass about driving safety.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 PM

417 posts, read 445,568 times
I believe she meant well. But her act of stupidity did cost two people their lives. I think a light sentence, 2 or 3 years, along with a lifetime ban of a drivers license, would be fair.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Reminds me of a time 40 years ago driving around Washingtons beltway, traffic was heavy and going fast ,all of a sudden there was a dog running between the cars
for a moment i thought i was going to miss him but unfortunately he decided to stop running..bang.
i get emotional just thinking about it to this day but there wasnt a damned thing i could do about it short of slamming on the brakes and causing a major pile up. Sometimes ya just got no choice,the ducks the dog the wild life get run over.. sorry pal i'll make it up to you when i see you on the other side....

Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Can't jump out of your car to help ducks on a busy highway... I'm sure while the verdict was being read, she was sobbing. Crying for those poor little ducks, and how she was only trying to help.
Actually, she wasn't trying to help. She said she wanted to capture the ducklings and take them home, which is bizarre. Undoubtedly the mother was nearby (she wouldn't have completely abandoned her young, though that's what it looked like to defendant). Very bad judgment, and just plain selfish behavior, on the part of the defendant.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Incredibly stupid move. But life in prison is excessive. This woman is not a hardened criminal. There needs to be consequences, but that's not it. Usually Canada's more progressive than this, kinda surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events