Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,080,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Has anyone found a news source or website that cuts through all the BS celebrity and tabloid type stories and reports news that is actually important to know?

I used to go to USA Today, but they have gotten as bad as the rest. For example, the top headline today is about the stupid Kardashians, and other things I don't give a flip about. We have a pressure cooker going on in Iraq, border issues, economic issues, and 95% of the stories on the major news websites now are sensationalized fluff. If I wanted that crap, I'd buy a copy of the Enquirer.

Any suggestions?
You have to go on YouTube and sort through things for yourself. Yes, this means sorting through a lot of BS...but it is worth it. Be prepared to learn that the REAL storyline we're told in mainstream media (whether it be FOX news or the other more politically liberal mainstream outlets) is nothing remotely like what is actually going on. Be prepared for people to call you crazy. Be prepared to keep your mouth shut in many situations because most people can't handle the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
My favorites NPR- left wing but skirt the BS as much as possible the only thing they do is focus on climate change a lot this shows their left wing bias. Also great radio in general especially the Ask Me Another segments and the old guy who tells stories segment.
Al Jazeera- Since they aren't American they are easily the best at American and international news.

CNN- for major stories have extensive coverage for politics or anything else you might as well ask your dog.

BBC- good but have their British bias towards everything.

The Young Turks- for smaller stories you won't here anywhere else, for big news it's complete BS. They don't try to his the fact that their left wing and are probably the most free news reporting group their is, as they have no corporate ties.

Science isn't "left wing." If a political organization chooses to take umbrage at a particular area of science because of its own agenda, its that party that is the biased party. Just consider a thought experiment with political party X in the country of Bolongatania. Party X has a conservative doctrine, and that includes conservation of the earth as God made it, and the land that God gave us. Its anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, anti anything that involves change, and that includes anti-chopping down forests and anti-increasing the global temperature. Its basically a right wing party. The public radio station in Bolongatania reports on the ongoing issue of man-made climate change. The public radio is now right wing biased?
Nope. That just reflects your own biases and political ideology.

Some countries don't even have a recognizable left wing or right wing, yet climate change is reported there too.

Science has almost innumerable areas of endeavor, geology, astrophysicis, entomology, materials science, chemistry etc etc. and most people pay that no mind at all. But have a scientific inquiry into an area that produces a conclusion perceived to conflict with some dearly-held ideology a person has (evolution and climate measurements being the two big offenders here)- then the science is... BIASED!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,618,848 times
Quote:
Has anyone found a news source or website that cuts through all the BS celebrity and tabloid type stories and reports news that is actually important to know?

I used to go to USA Today, but they have gotten as bad as the rest. For example, the top headline today is about the stupid Kardashians, and other things I don't give a flip about. We have a pressure cooker going on in Iraq, border issues, economic issues, and 95% of the stories on the major news websites now are sensationalized fluff. If I wanted that crap, I'd buy a copy of the Enquirer.

Any suggestions?
Avoid Tv. NOR is the place you want to go for just news. The BbC is good, too, and the Guardian website as well.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:56 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,659,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
USA Today has always been thought of as "news lite," I agree with the BBC recommendations, I like NPR, and surprisingly, Al Jazeera America is quite good.
yes Al Jazeera America is pretty good I remember the ferry capsizing story some time ago, I watched and watched CNN and learned just the bare minimum, after just a few minute with Al Jazeera America I learned the ship was badly redesign which made it unstable and the captain took a turn too sharply.you I could have watched cnn for days and never would have learned that.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,844,416 times
NewsNow.co.uk > The UK's #1 news portal

Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
I put on my TV news for weather only, and half the time they don't get that right. Today was to be a high of 73. It was 85 this afternoon. Didn't ruin my life or anything, but if you've got such great meteorological equipment to help you predict temperatures, how did you get off by 12 degrees?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,656,604 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Public television provides excellent coverage of events on a daily basis. Some might say it swings to the left, but remember the USA is so far right of center that even the left is to the right of the EU.

in fact there are a number of foreign based news centers that cover the USA, and many do so in a fair and balanced way.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,656,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
yes Al Jazeera America is pretty good I remember the ferry capsizing story some time ago, I watched and watched CNN and learned just the bare minimum, after just a few minute with Al Jazeera America I learned the ship was badly redesign which made it unstable and the captain took a turn too sharply.you I could have watched cnn for days and never would have learned that.
It is really crazy that to get good news coverage we have to rely on outside sources.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,012,217 times
I watch a New Channel Called one american news. Its straight up news, with no political agenda behind it . They have national and international. Its all I watch now.

One America News News - Breaking News Updates - Latest News Headlines

Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,637,971 times
Get a Roku, stream your news. You can get talk radio on there as well. It's better and you can pick what you want. Cable sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events