Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times

Advertisements

You thought USA today was a good source of news???? Really?... Out of all the news sites that's the one that you got your news from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:37 AM

972 posts, read 542,626 times
I've been reading USA Today for the last couple of months. Unlike the city newspaper in my area, the articles are usually succinct. As busy as I am, I can't have a daily newspaper that is an all-day chore to read. The USA Today also has some interesting investigations. For somebody who isn't a news connoisseur and just wants the big picture, it's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Its not so much that the Economist covers news that the American media doesn't care to tell us about as much as this magazine covers the doings in and around much of Britain's former empire, so there are a ton of articles about stuff which is generally of little concern to U.S. readers. A 12 page takeout on, say, capital formation in East Africa or the details of politcal infighting in Australia, is not going to appeal very much to readers here.

And they are not unbiased. The Economist has a very distinct center-right bias when covering economic issues--as one might guess from the title. I also see instances of naivete, or sometimes even plain old Oxbridge snark, when they're writing about U.S. topics. It's a good magazine for some things. But not for everything. (And I exclude entertainment stuff when I say that.)
I considered the Economist. They definitely do have a bias, but freely admit to their political leanings. They aren't unreasonable leanings, so I'm fine with it. On the other hand, I agree that it focuses on concerns that are probably more relevant to some segments of British readers than to most US readers.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
There is no such thing as truly objective news. Even if they are not telling you what to think, editorial choices are telling you what to think about.

So. In response to the OP's question, The Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post. That way you get relatively objective news delivered from a couple of different slants.

I used to say the New York Times, but it has really become an agenda-driven rag. And I'm not even a conservative. Need an example? Back in early November, Kentucky voted in its first Republican governor in a very long time. The NYT subsequently published a lengthy story speculating on why, given Kentucky's unemployment in the coal mining regions, would those areas vote against their self-interest. It failed to mention how environmental regulations imposed by the current administration basically put all those same voters out of a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events