Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,232,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Has anyone found a news source or website that cuts through all the BS celebrity and tabloid type stories and reports news that is actually important to know?

I used to go to USA Today, but they have gotten as bad as the rest. For example, the top headline today is about the stupid Kardashians, and other things I don't give a flip about. We have a pressure cooker going on in Iraq, border issues, economic issues, and 95% of the stories on the major news websites now are sensationalized fluff. If I wanted that crap, I'd buy a copy of the Enquirer.

Any suggestions?
I am looking for alternative news sources too. I was looking online this morning for an update on Iraq and the border situation, and one of the first headlines I saw was "Did Jay-Z Cheat on Beyoncé?" -- so I guess this is more important than a potential war or an immigration system out of control...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,232,642 times
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations -- I will be checking them out.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM

8,099 posts, read 10,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I am looking for alternative news sources too. I was looking online this morning for an update on Iraq and the border situation, and one of the first headlines I saw was "Did Jay-Z Cheat on Beyoncé?" -- so I guess this is more important than a potential war or an immigration system out of control...
Those were the EXACT two issues I was looking for updates on as well, when up came those five or so celebrity fueled headlines, and that's when I started this thread.

I believe those are meant to be distractions, and unfortunately, when that's all people see or seek out, they work. Responsible journalism in the mainstream is lost.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 705 times
I think I found my new home. Thank you guys for the many useful suggestions for news sources. The American media has turned into a dumbed down guilded cage of propaganda infotainment and useless sound bytes. I'm old enough to remember what hard news used to look like. There is a dangerous thing going on, the likes of which haven't been seen on a scale this size since Germany, circa 1936. Time to get a passport before it's too late.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,645,476 times
Great question; few answers. If anyone finds something decent please post. One of the reasons I review this site is people post things from various sources.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:55 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,624,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
RT America has good stuff, they post it on YouTube in 10 minute or less clips. Young Turks are another good source at times.
Yup, Russian Goebbels TV will certainly provide much needed alternative views on some subjects, that's why lunatics and leftists of all sorts love it. That's beyond ridiculous when people seek refuge from "mainstream" media in the outright foreign propanda and homemade "alternative" media "staffed" by boxer clad college kid "experts" working out of momma' basements who skim internet for (the translated) foreign propaganda items and apply simple logic inversion to the mainstream news (white is black and black is white). The victims of this sort alternative "real news" are outright loony and ridiculous.

There are not that many genuine news agencies generating first hand info, separated from the governments and having investigative journalists on the ground. I am sorry to inform you but all those agencies are "mainstream". There are numerous "alternative" internet media sources that paraphrase and invert mainstream sources to vibe with one view or another, supplement "analysis" with bits and pieces of the translated foreign propaganda. Foreign propaganda is just accepted as a word of God (it's not mainstream which makes it true after all). As a result I couldnt figure out where lunacy ends and pre-paid info begins. Because of all the above "Alternative" news like Truthdig: Drilling Beneath the Headlines are openly biased in the ways mainstream can never be, and that's why people like them.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,640,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Great question; few answers. If anyone finds something decent please post. One of the reasons I review this site is people post things from various sources.
Emptywheel.net is a good site which looks at security issues, such as cybersecurity, counterterrorism, 'war on terror', drones targeted assassination policy, and so on..

Borderlandbeat.com tracks the Mexican drug cartel war and border issues.

CJR.com (Columbia Journalism Review) critiques stories in the news media, often the New York Times.

New York Review of Books and London Review of Books will often carry the Seymour Hersh expose's on the war.

Last edited by lchoro; 06-08-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,319,268 times
Just remember that all news sources have their biases. AL Jazeera, for example, is a highly professional news organization that doesn't like the US and really doesn't like Israel. BBC is on the left. Guardian is way left. Telegraph is conservative. These souces may sometimes paint a rosier picture of American events or public figures they like, and a gloom picture of what they don't like. They may not lie outright but they will filter the news and present them in a way that suits their agenda. As long as you realize that and understand what each source's biases are, you can get quality news by reading multiple sources.
One of my favorite sources is the English language online edition of the Deutsche Welle (dw.com). It's a major German news publication. It's somewhat left leaning, so don't expect them to provide a truly unbiasrd reporting on the migrant problem in Germany or on Trump. But overall I find them to be very careful in not taking sides, and trying to present a balanced overall picture. Far more so than BBC. As to Guardian, it's a biased left wing newspaper, the mirror image of Fox News.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,640,378 times
The UK papers have gone downhill over the last two plus years. Cameron has made several threats to close down papers over coverage of the Edward Snowden leaks, election coverage, etc. Most of the Guardian's reporters on national security, terrorism, etc. have left the paper. Left/right is generally meaningless these days. Generally, the internationally recognized papers like NYT, WAPO, WSJ, FT, DW, LM, etc. are looked at for the official stance of the government.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,875,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Has anyone found a news source or website that cuts through all the BS celebrity and tabloid type stories and reports news that is actually important to know?

I used to go to USA Today, but they have gotten as bad as the rest. For example, the top headline today is about the stupid Kardashians, and other things I don't give a flip about. We have a pressure cooker going on in Iraq, border issues, economic issues, and 95% of the stories on the major news websites now are sensationalized fluff. If I wanted that crap, I'd buy a copy of the Enquirer.

Any suggestions?

American media is government controlled, and strictly for diversion of the masses.
I use BBC and listen to NPR- National Public Radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events