Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,286,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Ah, the hypocrisy of religion!

Describing the stoning of apostates from Judaism, the Torah states:
If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
—Deuteronomy 13:6–10

Stoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The descriptions and instructions on stoning in Deuteronomy weren't addressed to Christian school children and aren't given in any church I'm aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM

4,631 posts, read 12,331,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The descriptions and instructions on stoning in Deuteronomy weren't addressed to Christian school children and aren't given in any church I'm aware of.
I would agree that most avoid this part of religions past, and for obvious reason, but it is a part of it's past. Republican's of Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt were considered progressive in their time, and look at the shift there. However, it should not be disavowed that stoning is still legal in some countries, and is part of religions past. We should always be aware of history, so that we do not repeat mistakes of the past.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,563,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I can't imagine what was going through the minds of these teens when they decided to drop rocks onto traffic below. Glad to hear 3 of them will be tried as adults.

Ohio woman has long road ahead after rock attack

17 years old and a rock the size of a football? They were old enough to know better, I hope they throw the book at them. When I was growing up, there was a kid who threw rocks off a new overpass that ran next to our neighborhood. He was like maybe 11 or 12 and the rocks were ping pong size. Even at that, he could have still killed somebody. At least he had the excuse of being young and dumb. These guys, not so much.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,180,043 times
There was an overpass above I-83 that used to be on the news frequently where I grew up. The kids (usually young teens) were always taking mannequins or scarecrows, tying a noose around the neck of them, and then throwing them over the highway so they'd swing above and/or get hit by traffic. On one occasion it scared a woman so badly that she swerved up the side of an embankment, hit a security wall, and then rolled her vehicle multiple times before landing back on four wheels and drifting back out into traffic. A heavy duty chain-link cage was erected over the entirety of the overpass afterwards.

Sometimes foolishness is pretty unreal, and tragic.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,286,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I would agree that most avoid this part of religions past, and for obvious reason, but it is a part of it's past. Republican's of Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt were considered progressive in their time, and look at the shift there. However, it should not be disavowed that stoning is still legal in some countries, and is part of religions past. We should always be aware of history, so that we do not repeat mistakes of the past.

Stoning was never part of the jurisprudence or criminal procedure for any western or Christian based nation, even in the Middle Ages. Its abolition had nothing to do with either Lincoln or Roosevelt, and isn't part of the history of Western Civilization.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 AM

4,631 posts, read 12,331,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Stoning was never part of the jurisprudence or criminal procedure for any western or Christian based nation, even in the Middle Ages. Its abolition had nothing to do with either Lincoln or Roosevelt, and isn't part of the history of Western Civilization.
Incorrect, people are mentioned as being stoned in the New Testament.

Stoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saint Stephen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rather than make up stories to support your claim please do the research.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:04 PM

29,534 posts, read 22,801,559 times
A very sad update from this horrible case

https://www.yahoo.com/news/husband-o...232101742.html

Quote:
Randy Budd, the husband of an Ohio schoolteacher critically injured when a rock was dropped on her car from a highway overpass has died. He was 55.

Budd died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at his Uniontown, Ohio, home late Saturday night, Harry Campbell, chief investigator for Ohio's Stark County Coroner's office, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Sharon Budd suffered catastrophic head injuries when a five-pound rock dropped from an overpass crashed through the windshield of her family's moving car on Interstate 80 in central Pennsylvania in July 2014.

Randy Budd said in January that his wife had seven major surgeries and lost part of her brain and one of her eyes. Because part of her brain was affected, he said she would require constant care at home for the rest of her life.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,915,017 times
Unhappy *

Very very sad.........

Thank you for letting us know!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,165,824 times
Those rotton kids should be made to travel to high schools across the country on a grueling schedule ( crappy transportation, etc.) and tell this story to other kids, standing in front of an auditorium.

Maybe it would make other dumb ass kids think twice before doing something so callous and stupid.

This one is a heartbreaker.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 4,401,033 times
Children in general are not being taught respect and proper behavior in society. Every day it seems I see some unruly child screaming, cursing, hitting their parent, whining, crying, destroying property and generally being obnoxious while their parent just ignores them and lets them do what ever they want. Then they grow up to do crap like this, or be bully's, or worse and we all wring our hands and lament about what the world it coming to. In my opinion, if you have not taught a child decency and respect by the time they are 9 or 10, you have lost the battle.

Last edited by ditchoc; 08-08-2016 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events