Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What California government should be working on is desalinization plants. We have a whole damn ocean with trillions of gallons of water that can be processed into drinkable water.
But instead we get to blow money on a high speed train that's not really a high speed train going from Nowhere California
alll the way to Where California. Its utter crap. Instead on working on a long term fix for drought and the water problems in California we get to spend time money and energy on something that is a solution for something that was never a problem. And it will get subsidized forever because it will never be profitable. Hell it won't break even forget profit.

Why can't the Government work on some country wide system of water transfer. Hell the Romans built aqueducts 2000 years ago. We can't build pumping stations and create the ability to take water from areas of the country where its flooding and abundant and transfer it or pump it into huge storage tanks or into lakes.
Desalinization plants can really wreck the ocean. Personally I wish there were fewer people on the planet.
Ration water to people, give it to agriculture (since we all like to eat) make people move to where there is water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Oh,horrors!! == must be related to the "global warming" that's killing our cuddly polar bears. Surely the government (a/k/a Barry-o ad the WonderPets) ought to do something!

e are being reduced to a nation o impressionable children by our media-induced insecurities, and the manipulators who an to them in the pursuit of power.
I don't have a problem with people not believing in climate change - as long as they put their lives where their mouths are. Deniers should have to sign a registry. So when its really freaking obvious we know who the brick walls were that stopped forward progress on anything that could be done to slow it down. Then they can pay more for water, food, space. If they can't pay, oh well.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Plenty of water in Toledo Ohio but toxin pollution has made it unusable for the time. So people can live most anywhere in the country but if the water is polluted or becomes polluted then what? If we’re not working with nature and using good science in what we’re doing then we’ll continue to see these types of problems everywhere in the country not just the southwest where there is a shortage of water. Using water wisely is important and it takes everyone’s effort.

Ohio drinking water emergency 'not over yet'

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM

16,585 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Nasa says the West has lost 17 trillion gallons in the Colorado river watershed alone in the recent drought.

Satellites show major Southwest groundwater loss
Maybe they should stop siphoning off water to Vegas so the Mirage (appropriately named) no longer has their insane water show every few hours. Don't think for a minute that is the only problem, but it is certainly the most egregious example.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Maybe they should stop siphoning off water to Vegas so the Mirage (appropriately named) no longer has their insane water show every few hours. Don't think for a minute that is the only problem, but it is certainly the most egregious example.
Yes, top of my list for disliking Vegas. It seems to celebrate waste.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Actually, Las Vegas only gets 4% from the Southern Colorado River Pact. California gets 58%, and Arizona gets 38%. I think your blame is misplaced in this case.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 AM

16,585 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Actually, Las Vegas only gets 4% from the Southern Colorado River Pact. California gets 58%, and Arizona gets 38%. I think your blame is misplaced in this case.
How did you miss my comment about it not being the only example?
More importantly, it is a classic example of waste in a region of the country dying for lack of water, all for entertainment purposes.

I have no doubt CA is the worst on many levels, and is even adversely effecting their own states residents in the north.
I've said for many years, including in CD that clean drinking water is what we should be focused on the most.
Whether man contributes to global warming or not, there is no doubt we squander our limited resources, and pollute our clean drinking water. So lets focus on things we are sure about, and can have an immediate impact with.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
How did you miss my comment about it not being the only example?
More importantly, it is a classic example of waste in a region of the country dying for lack of water, all for entertainment purposes.

I have no doubt CA is the worst on many levels, and is even adversely effecting their own states residents in the north.
I've said for many years, including in CD that clean drinking water is what we should be focused on the most.
Whether man contributes to global warming or not, there is no doubt we squander our limited resources, and pollute our clean drinking water. So lets focus on things we are sure about, and can have an immediate impact with.
First, you should relax a little. My point is that little pond in front the Mirage is nothing on the scale of numerous lakes that are pumped full from the Eastern Sierra, Colorado River, and the California Aqueduct. Right now Pyramid on to of the Grapevine North of LA is 97% full, but other lakes in California are empty to fill this lake?
I guess if you're calling for a change in ideology then that is a point, but there's far greater instances of waste than the Mirage. I pointed out the Nevada allotment from the Colorado to give you an idea of how great of an imbalance in distribution is. Are you aware the Salton Sea was a dry lakebed until 1905, and is pumped full for SoCal recreation?

http://www.cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/current/RES

Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Desalinization plants can really wreck the ocean. Personally I wish there were fewer people on the planet.
Ration water to people, give it to agriculture (since we all like to eat) make people move to where there is water.
Do you have any evidence of desalinization plants wrecking the ocean?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:24 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Plenty of water in Toledo Ohio but toxin pollution has made it unusable for the time. So people can live most anywhere in the country but if the water is polluted or becomes polluted then what? If we’re not working with nature and using good science in what we’re doing then we’ll continue to see these types of problems everywhere in the country not just the southwest where there is a shortage of water. Using water wisely is important and it takes everyone’s effort.

Ohio drinking water emergency 'not over yet'

Two days without water is hardly a crises. When I lived through hurricane Hugo, we went months without drinkable and most certainly toxic water supplies. Best that they catch it early and deal with it that let it go on for months or years. Here in Charleston you can't eat shellfish sometimes due to the amount of bacteria they ingest. You can't eat fish sometimes because of the mercury levels in the mud at the bottom of the harbor, but you don't hear of those issues making the front pages of USA today... wonder why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events