Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Just because the law may define abuse differently, doesn't mean we don't know it when we hear, or see it.

The fact of the matter is, corporal punishment is for the lazy and poorly educated. There are far more successful methods that obtain similar results without striking a child, although they take a bit more effort to enforce. There's loads of books out there people, I suggest you read them.

Now I'm done with this thread. I'm off to spend the evening with my civilized, unbeaten, educated offspring.
Wow, generalize much? I'm far,far,far from what you describe and yet used corporal punishment so I guess your description and attached conclusion is an epic FAIL at psychiatry but a wonderful example of group think.
Commune anyone?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All you loving parents posting about how society is going downhill because other parents won't discipline their children with corporal punishment - tell me why cities like Chicago and Detroit have thousands and thousands of households where a belt or switch was taken to the child as they were growing up, and they are now 13, 14, and up, out on the street in gangs, killing each other, playing the knock out "game", and not respecting life in any fashion. Why do so many of those kids grow up to be domestic abusers?

So much for "loving" your child by being abusive and physically hurting them. Obviously, that isn't as effective as you would all like to have us believe.
Outstanding post. I wish I could rep you again.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The discussion has evolved over the past few days to basically covering all aspects of corporal punishment. How far above and beyond Texas law AP went will be decided by the courts. I certainly don't think red marks and a couple 1/8" abrasions constitute a severe beating though. I'd say he deserves counseling and the ability to build a better relationship with his son?
The Texas law is written with a lot of wiggle room it would seem, so leaves a lot of interpretation up to the jury. It would suggest to me that with the number of marks left (not just one or two) that it would push it over into the physical abuse area even in Texas....but I certainly dont know what the jury would think down there. I read somewhere, it all depends on the make up of the jury...if it is older age then more apt to see what was done as "normal" vs the younger folks.

Now on a local talk show out of Fargo, it was discussed if this will ever go to trial. Would Adrian lawyer's do a plea bargain for a lesser penalty....and that way Adrian could re-join his team as the legal procedings would be over with. Trail would not be til 2015 and after the season. That I didnt think of before....I dont know a lot about the court system over than the basics.

From the news release and 11 am press conference held today...they said Vikings owners talked to Adrian and he (not the owners) determined it was best to step back. I have a feeling there was some persuasion, strong persuasion.

Will be interesting to see what happens as this brought through the Texas legal system. This is a good test to see what according to Texas law constitutes physical abuse.

--Dan

Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Vikings star Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse of his son 11 months after a different boy of his was beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend | Daily Mail Online

"According to doctors, the beating resulted in numerous injuries to the boy, including cuts and bruises on his back, buttocks, legs and *******. "

I have no idea why the word for the skin surrounding the testicles is censored.
I recieved wounds much worse than this running through wooded areas and getting scraped by thorn bushes. I recieved wounds FAR worse than this from falling off my bike, scooter and play set (still have the elbow and knee scars to prove it). I probably had knocks and scrapes worse than that on a bi-weekly basis. I should probably charge gravity with child abuse. Or maybe I can get my parents charged for not wrapping me up in at least 4 inch thick padding.

Let's face it - some people are pansies - ANY mark on a child is a heinous beating and felony abuse punishable by at least 5 years in the state pen. Those screaming the loudest would have 90% of Texas behind bars and all the children in state custody.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 09-17-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
The Texas law is written with a lot of wiggle room it would seem, so leaves a lot of interpretation up to the jury. It would suggest to me that with the number of marks left (not just one or two) that it would push it over into the physical abuse area even in Texas....but I certainly dont know what the jury would think down there. I read somewhere, it all depends on the make up of the jury...if it is older age then more apt to see what was done as "normal" vs the younger folks.
I agree. If it is deemed abuse, I think punishment will need to reflect the severity of the abuse. Are we talking cigar burn to the face (max sentence)? Does the child have any permanent scarring or impairment? Was the child in significant pain for an extended period of time? Did the parent have a legitimate reason for decided to whip?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I recieved wounds much worse than this running through wooded areas and getting scraped by thorn bushes. I recieved wounds FAR worse than this from falling off my bike, scooter and play set (still have the elbow and knee scars to prove it). I probably had knocks and scrapes worse than that on a bi-weekly basis. I should probably charge gravity with child abuse. Or maybe I can get my parents charged for not wrapping me up in at least 4 inch thick padding.

Let's face it - some people are pansies - ANY mark on a child is a heinous beating and felony abuse punishable by at least 5 years in the state pen. Those screaming the loudest would have 90% of Texas behind bars and all the children in state custody.

Kids fall off their bikes and break their bones. Does that mean a parent can break his kid's bones?

Kids get concussions and brain damage playing football. Does that mean it's OK for a parent to beat his kid to unconsciousness?

Kids get killed in car accidents. Does that mean it's OK for a parent to kill his child?

Sorry but injuries from accidents is not the same as intentional abusive violence.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Peterson is widely known for using his Twitter account to quote the Bible and other Christian books he appears to read. He also posts support for the political view that our nation should align itself more with Christian principles and put God into our public schools.
So in addition to being a child abuser, he's a promiscuous, bible-thumping hypocrite.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Kids fall off their bikes and break their bones. Does that mean a parent can break his kid's bones?

Kids get concussions and brain damage playing football. Does that mean it's OK for a parent to beat his kid to unconsciousness.

Kids get killed in car accidents. Does that mean it's OK for a parent to kill his child?

Sorry but injuries from accidents is not the same as intentional abusive violence.
More overstatements that are about as tired as the "if spanking is OK than so is beating your wife" line.

Did you not read where I said "knocks and scrapes worse than this on a bi-weekly basis"? Kids don't break bones bi-weekly, kids don't get concussions bi-weekly, kids aren't in car accidents bi-weekly, a kid doesn't die bi-weekly. You've named perhaps once in a lifetime events that have nothing to do with the normal scrapes, cuts, bruises and bumps that kids get almost daily (especially boys).

Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I should say went to far.

In response to the 4 y/o pushing another child off a toy, his pants were pulled off and Peterson used a switch, leaving bruises and cuts up and down his legs, buttocks, and *******.

Peterson defends this "whoopin' " as a reasonable strategy to use in teaching the child right from wrong.

I shudder to think what is in store for one of his kids who does something more serious than tussle over a toy.
Overkill, definitely. There's not much a 4-yr-old kid is capable of doing that would deserve a beating like that. Unless the kid is seriously deranged, and tortures or kills animals, or something. A little kid like that is too small to do much damage, and way too small to take a pretty extreme beating like that. The dude sounds like a rage-a-holic, or a beating addict. I wonder how he was raised, himself.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:

Kids get concussions and brain damage playing football. Does that mean it's OK for a parent to beat his kid to unconsciousness?

Sadly, many apologists here would need to know whether or not the assailant was a pro athlete before answering your questions. If yes, they would find it acceptable to beat anyone at any time the athlete desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events