Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Bears repeating!
Already addressed that concern though.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Bears repeating!
A four year old is too young to probably even understand what was going on, but I don't understand the problem with whipping an older kid. Obviously Peterson went too far by breaking the skin, but this is far from a case of horrific child abuse that the media wants you to believe.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A four year old is too young to probably even understand what was going on, but I don't understand the problem with whipping an older kid. Obviously Peterson went too far by breaking the skin, but this is far from a case of horrific child abuse that the media wants you to believe.
How do you define "horrific child abuse," death?

Since you are older than "an older kid" how would you feel if you were whipped for doing something another person feels is wrong?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't believe what I believe because of the media. I think it's child abuse because of the evidence I've seen.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Already addressed that concern though.
Done discussing this with you, because frankly your thoughts on the matter repulse me.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A four-year-old has barely reached the age where concepts of 'right' and 'wrong' start to form.
If you don't get their attention by the age of two you've already pretty much lost the battle.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Done discussing this with you, because frankly your thoughts on the matter repulse me.
Likewise, your ease of repulsion repulses me. Some people's repulsion by anything physical reminds me of my girlfriends reaction to seeing a tiny little bug. It's just irrational.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Apparently, this is not the first time Adrian Peterson has scarred a four-year-old child with a 'whopping'.
http://www.khou.com/story/news/investigations/2014/09/15/new-accusations-peterson-injured-another-son-while-disciplining-4-year-old/15693941/

But remember:
*Mom was being greedy for questioning the scarring of her child (it's never AP's fault when he beats and wounds a kid - it's always the kid's or the Mom's fault)
*Kids should be beaten because you were beaten as a kid
*Mom is lying (please conveniently ignore the texts in which Peterson admits to it, but blames the kid)
*He's a football player, so it's OK
*Poor Adrian Peterson is the real victim here

Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 AM

672 posts, read 789,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You are looking at ONE portion of the population - the prison population. Do you really think the only thing that seperates the prison population from the general population is the fact that more of them were whipped as children? I would venture to say a higher percentage were also sexually abused, mentally abused, physically abused, came from poverty, parents on drugs, broken homes, bad schools, bad neighborhoods, etc, etc.

Why not look at middle class/2 parent families that used corporal punishment? Why single out the prison population who have a slew of problems?
I am not looking at just one portion of the population, certainly there are plenty of people in the penal system who came from middle class or upper class backgrounds. Plenty of those folks were subjected to the physical abuse that you are adamantly stating is just punishment. Absolutely, there are people who were never subjected to punishment who are there as well. There are a lot of people who never enter the criminal population who were beaten as children who aren't OK, who don't cope well, or who maybe are OK, but who had to work to get past their issues. Just because people come here and post their anecdotes about how they're just fine, their parents beat them, and they beat their own children, and no one should butt their damn noses into it, this doesn't mean that there aren't better ways of doing it, or that corporal punishment works. Maybe they turned out OK in spite of being whooped, and not because of it.

What I am saying is that if this type of punishment is so effective, by the time a person gets to be an adolescent or teen, or even earlier, that they'd have gotten the message, and the parents wouldn't need to use the switch. There are more effective ways of raising children that turn out adults who are mentally healthier and better adjusted than either letting your kids run amok with no boundaries or beating them at any and every transgression. There are better ways of imparting discipline. Better, more effective and less dangerous.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Apparently, this is not the first time Adrian Peterson has scarred a four-year-old child with a 'whopping'.
http://www.khou.com/story/news/investigations/2014/09/15/new-accusations-peterson-injured-another-son-while-disciplining-4-year-old/15693941/

But remember:
*Mom was being greedy for questioning the scarring of her child (it's never AP's fault when he beats and wounds a kid - it's always the kid's or the Mom's fault)
*Kids should be beaten because you were beaten as a kid
*Mom is lying (please conveniently ignore the texts in which Peterson admits to it, but blames the kid)
*He's a football player, so it's OK
*Poor Adrian Peterson is the real victim here
It looks like this new allegation is a case of mud slinging and seeing if any of it sticks. As the attorney states, the allegations were shopped around in two states and nothing came of it (yeah, let's hear the "that's because he plays football" excuse)

So AP has now been cleared in 2 states 1 year ago and cleared by a grand jury in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events