Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times

Advertisements

I don't see it getting under control in Africa, despite what efforts are made. It's just an unsanitary place, where these types of diseases spread like wildfire. That's why it got so bad in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's not according to me, it's according to the people in the field, at the CDC, at the the WHO--in other words, the experts on Ebola.

Paying people who are quarantine is a pretty good idea. Who do you mean by "we?" Your state government? The federal government? Why don't you think about contacting your representatives and asking them to propose legislation?

There are lots of ways to attack this issue and you have just named a possibly viable option. In any case it's a much better approach then "Lock all the doors and turn out all the lights and maybe they won't know we're home!"
If you believe the rhetoric I can't help you, I don't think people are locking their doors or turning all the lights off. I do think they want travel restrictions and quarantines though, and it's not a leap to think they could be paid for if warranted. It would have been nice if the WHO would have stepped up and done their job from the beginning, why not look into why they dropped the ball, that's why it spread in the first place, they aren't trustworthy, maybe we should change that too. We can change it all, right!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ugh. That's precisely how it's not supposed to work in the US.
Yep. That's why we are a representative republic based on Democratic principles. Pure democracy = mob rule. And we have lots of media whores to stir up the mobs because that's how they make their living.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
This is the reason we should have imposed travel bans! Like I stated before if we showed any concern for the African immigrants we already have here we would have banned travel so people wouldn't worry about them or their relations coming here infected. This is our fault for not ensuring our citizens feel save. We let them handle it on their own and that was not a wise decision.

So we should do something that doesn't work, will likely make the problem worse and increase the likelihood of a real problem in this country, just so people will feel safe?

Wouldn't it be smarter, cheaper, and greatly more effective to instead do what works? Follow scientific recommendations. Educate people. Educate people some more?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A few words here. The survey you have quoted suggests that there are something on the order of 220,000 + people who die, partially as the result of medical malpractice in hospitals.

I agree malpractice is a problem, but I disagree its anywhere on this level.

If these figures were true, than roughly five to six times as many people are dying every year as a result of medical negligence than the 40,000 or so that die in car accidents. These results are based on incomplete surveys that can't possibly reflect all the patients in all the hospitals in this country.

Additionally, my own real world experiences with family and friends who have been to the hospital tell me these numbers are inflated.

I'm a little staggered by what you seem to be suggesting. The implication is that because allegedly so many people die as a result of receiving medical care that we can't trust the CDC and other government agencies when they make recommendations about Ebola or other diseases. I guess we are supposed to trust our own uneducated judgments instead?

I think you mean well, but I find this kind of reasoning terribly flawed, perhaps dangerously so.
You are asking a lot of a public you don't know, Imo. Asking them to trust what other countries don't, cleaning up African infected countries, fighting wars with inflated prices, trusting contradictory information, and acting like they should feel good about it. The American people have spoken on this issue, you don't like it, maybe you are ashamed of it but that changes nothing.
Isis, Ebola, North Korea, Iran, no jobs, bad economy, etc, etc. The list is getting large, and not everyone is up for the ride. Sorry that disappoints you. I don't mean well, nor do I mean harm, those aren't my options. It is what it is and the majority of Americans don't want to take on Ebola like you think they should. Period.

Last edited by PoppySead; 10-28-2014 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: ipad, ugh

Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
So we should do something that doesn't work, will likely make the problem worse and increase the likelihood of a real problem in this country, just so people will feel safe?

Wouldn't it be smarter, cheaper, and greatly more effective to instead do what works? Follow scientific recommendations. Educate people. Educate people some more?
You aren't in China..people don't want their officials to dictate what they should want. Americans are asking their congressman for travel bans and quarantines. That's the reality.

I have a mental list of things we could do as a country better and based on educated advice for a lot of issues. It's a waste of my time, we vote here. There is no "GREAT LEADER"

Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
The majority of Americans don't HAVE to take on Ebola. That's the point.

We've seen 9 cases in this country, and those have been completely comprised healthcare workers who knowingly treated Ebola patients and one man who helped care for an Ebola-stricken neighbor in Africa. 8 of the cases were American citizens.

So many people seem terrified that they are going to get the disease, but the numbers are showing that your average person on the street is not at risk. Even with Duncan, his fiance didn't get sick, the EMT workers who transported him to the hospital didn't get sick, the doctor and nurses who treated him in the ER - both times - didn't get sick.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Well, some good news finally - maybe: Huge drop in Ebola bodies across Liberian capital: Red Cross

Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A few words here. The survey you have quoted suggests that there are something on the order of 220,000 + people who die, partially as the result of medical malpractice in hospitals.

I agree malpractice is a problem, but I disagree its anywhere on this level.

If these figures were true, than roughly five to six times as many people are dying every year as a result of medical negligence than the 40,000 or so that die in car accidents. These results are based on incomplete surveys that can't possibly reflect all the patients in all the hospitals in this country.

I think you mean well, but I find this kind of reasoning terribly flawed, perhaps dangerously so.
???? What are you talking about? I don't have a link but ... I've heard... a number of times that this is in fact quite true. Not only that, but the numbers that I have are LOT higher than that poster you are doubting. Like 5X higher! So... if you quibble with his numbers then what do you say when credible sources posit that as many as 1M!!! Americans die in hospitals from preventable mistakes by doctors and other hospital staff? Go ahead, doubt. The truth is clearly beyond your fathoming. Why am I not surprised.

H

Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
The majority of Americans don't HAVE to take on Ebola. That's the point.

We've seen 9 cases in this country, and those have been completely comprised healthcare workers who knowingly treated Ebola patients and one man who helped care for an Ebola-stricken neighbor in Africa. 8 of the cases were American citizens.

So many people seem terrified that they are going to get the disease, but the numbers are showing that your average person on the street is not at risk. Even with Duncan, his fiance didn't get sick, the EMT workers who transported him to the hospital didn't get sick, the doctor and nurses who treated him in the ER - both times - didn't get sick.
It's not just about fear of catching an illness. It's a lot of work, and it causes a lot of distractions, and costs a lot of money. Some don't want to be part of the trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events