Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I saw an interview on TV this morning with an African doctor. He was calling for African medical staff to volunteer to help in the US. Oh, the horror of that? Why was he saying this? They know more than we do?

He said he had had Ebola himself and that most of the health care workers there also have or were exposed to it. "I cannot catch Ebola again".

Interesting. So it is the same as with diseases like Measles? You have it, recover, and don't get it again? This is probably why they are taking blood samples from the doctor here who recovered. To create a vax from his blood with the dead virus and his antibodies?
I will be the first in line for the shot if they develop one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
He said he had had Ebola himself and that most of the health care workers there also have or were exposed to it. "I cannot catch Ebola again".

Interesting. So it is the same as with diseases like Measles? You have it, recover, and don't get it again?
I've read they estimate immunity will be approximately 10 years, but that's only immunity from the particular strain they had. It's actually more similar to Yellow Fever because they're both viral hemorrhagic diseases but transmitted differently. Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers | CDC Special Pathogens Branch

Quote:
IThis is probably why they are taking blood samples from the doctor here who recovered. To create a vax from his blood with the dead virus and his antibodies?
I believe in the US they are just giving blood transfusions from survivors whose blood types are compatible with patients. In Spain they gave the nurse's aide extracted antibodies from survivor blood.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM

How do they know new cases haven't become air born? The nurse had full gear, took all precautions.
Exposure rates seem odd, why haven't the people who lived with Duncan, puking right by them, contracted Ebola?
Something about the spread cycle of this virus is unique. Maybe it depends on ones immune system, or the like to get it.

I know two nurses so far, one in that very hospital in TX that have taken their vacation time right now. There are others talking about quitting and moving on to a new career. What happens as we start to have healthcare workers leaving? A lot of them didn't sign on to treat Ebola, they are too afraid to continue working in this environment.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I believe the deputy who entered Duncan's apartment and subsequently became ill first went to an urgent care clinic instead of an ER at a hospital. Not understanding why these people aren't going straight to the nearest hospital ER. What a mess. CDC is not prepared for this and is dragging their feet.
Anyone that's been to an ER will understand. In the ER you sit for hours without care as the hoards of uninsured are evaluated for minor things ranging from tooth decay to pregnancy tests. At an urgent care, you get cared for and they do a reasonable job of prioritizing the most urgent issues. In reality, no one seeking medical care should go near an ER.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I hope I'm wrong, but I am starting to suspect that there are some aspects of political correctness that are overshadowing the authorities being able to take the necessary and immediate measures that may really need to be instituted.

I am stuck somewhere between wanting to protect my family and the urge to go out and start buying facemasks etc., and then remembing the rolls of duck tape and plastic tarp I bought once and didn't need...

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How do they know new cases haven't become air born? The nurse had full gear, took all precautions.
Exposure rates seem odd, why haven't the people who lived with Duncan, puking right by them, contracted Ebola?
Something about the spread cycle of this virus is unique. Maybe it depends on ones immune system, or the like to get it.

I know two nurses so far, one in that very hospital in TX that have taken their vacation time right now. There are others talking about quitting and moving on to a new career. What happens as we start to have healthcare workers leaving? A lot of them didn't sign on to treat Ebola, they are too afraid to continue working in this environment.
Easy. Ebola is a virus that latches onto receptors outside endothelial cells lining the circulatory system. It can't change into one that can attach to the alveolar cells of the lungs. Viruses mutate for many reasons and Ebola has mutated considerably. However, mutating from being a virus solely adapted to infecting cells that line blood vessels into one that can attach to entirely different classes of proteins found in the lungs borders on the impossible.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

I'm not sure the nurse was wearing the proper equipment, and none of the doctors and nurses in Africa have been either. Someone else pointed out that the only level 4 hazmat suits were worn by the guys who went on the airplane to remove the guy who made a joke about Ebola. I'm sure the staffs at the hospitals in Atlanta and Omaha have the proper suits as well, plus the training and experience necessary in dealing with this virus.

This should not have been assigned to the local hospital to deal with. Duncan should have been flown to one of the hospitals in Omaha or Atlanta. It was pure hubris on the CDC's part to show that a local hospital could handle this disease, and it backfired on them. The healthcare workers and that hospital (which probably won't even exist in a few months) are going to suffer the most for it.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I am starting to suspect that there are some aspects of political correctness that are overshadowing the authorities being able to take the necessary and immediate measures that may really need to be instituted.

I am stuck somewhere between wanting to protect my family and the urge to go out and start buying facemasks etc., and then remembing the rolls of duck tape and plastic tarp I bought once and didn't need...
LMAO!!!!

I right there as well buddy!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not sure the nurse was wearing the proper equipment, and none of the doctors and nurses in Africa have been either. Someone else pointed out that the only level 4 hazmat suits were worn by the guys who went on the airplane to remove the guy who made a joke about Ebola. I'm sure the staffs at the hospitals in Atlanta and Omaha have the proper suits as well, plus the training and experience necessary in dealing with this virus.

This should not have been assigned to the local hospital to deal with. Duncan should have been flown to one of the hospitals in Omaha or Atlanta. It was pure hubris on the CDC's part to show that a local hospital could handle this disease, and it backfired on them. The healthcare workers and that hospital (which probably won't even exist in a few months) are going to suffer the most for it.
I heard they stopped taking ER patients and closed that part of the hospital. Is this true? Have you heard this?

Oh, and thanks Hesky, I understand now.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Hopefully we'll all die with unused items in our first aid kits.

I am not advocating building a bunker and filling it with five years worth of MREs but I do think we need to be take our responsibility to protect our families, within reason, very seriously.

After all, didn't you eventually use that duct tape for other purposes? And plastic tarps come in handy as well.

Come to think of it - may want to continue to hang onto those items...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events