Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We don't have the science. We aren't even close to having the science. When and if we ever have the science, AIDS will be just as easy to CURE as Ebola will be. What do you imagine an Ebola vaccine would cost?
You seem to be a very paranoid individual. Vaccines , which are by their very nature , homeopathic , have been the biggest success in medicine outside of antibiotics . Have a nice day .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:16 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
sooo...America should be FORCED to help other nations under threat of terrorism??? Gee, I'm so happy we're helping out those lovely people in need
If this is actually true (and I don't know if it is), then napalm is sounding better and better...
So your solution is to burn people alive? Gotcha. Sheesh.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Did you see Anderson Cooper on CNN last night ? Dr Sanjay Gupta did an interesting piece.

He dressed in PPE gear then used chocolate sauce (representing blood) and lightly smeared it on his chest which meant he had it on his hands.
He very carefully removed his gear and at the end had about 3 places on his body that had chocolate sauce.

It showed that even taking your time it was difficult to not expose yourself when removing your gear.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did you see Anderson Cooper on CNN last night ? Dr Sanjay Gupta did an interesting piece.

He dressed in PPE gear then used chocolate sauce (representing blood) and lightly smeared it on his chest which meant he had it on his hands.
He very carefully removed his gear and at the end had about 3 places on his body that had chocolate sauce.

It showed that even taking your time it was difficult to not expose yourself when removing your gear.
Yikes. University of Illinois epidemiologists have said the potential for transmission through aerosol particles is real and those working with ebola patients should be wearing respirators. They wore respirators at Emory by the way.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
sooo...America should be FORCED to help other nations under threat of terrorism??? Gee, I'm so happy we're helping out those lovely people in need
If this is actually true (and I don't know if it is), then napalm is sounding better and better...
Be careful. Your evilness is showing again.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:20 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Nothing is ever mentioned about the dr. who is currently being treated in Atlanta. He was diagnosed on 9/6 and is still undergoing treatment according to this information but has never been identified or his condition discussed to my knowledge. Questions about him during a CDC press conference were deflected and the conference ended abruptly after the deflection. H

Does anyone have any info on that case?

American Ebola patient arrives at Emory in Atlanta - CNN.com

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...dule=Promotron

Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,548 times
A UN health worker working in Liberia died in Germany of ebola despite receiving experimental drugs.

BBC News - Ebola outbreak: UN health worker dies in Germany hospital

Aquietpath, no, I haven't read any updates on his condition and I've been looking for them. I'm still trying to find out an update on Troh, Duncan's girlfriend but haven't read any new updates on her or her family either.

edited.. So far, so good for Troh. I just read an article and the reporter claims he spoke to her by phone Monday and that she was feeling ok.

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 10-14-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We do not need African doctors to actually come here and provide patient care. It would be extremely helpful to consult them for their expertise in dealing with actual patient care. They do know more than doctors here in the US who have never seen a case of Ebola.

Infection may provide immunity to subsequent infection. There is not enough info to say how long it would persist. Possibly re-exposure during a time when protective antibodies are present might provide a booster effect. I suspect that even survivors would want to wear protective gear. Any immunity would probably be only to the infecting strain and not others.

The blood from survivors contains antibodies to the virus. It is not a vaccine. The donor's blood would no longer contain virus; it could not be used if it did.

Ebola is spread by droplets. You have to be close to the patient to get exposed. It is not airborne like flu or measles. The people who are caring for patients in Africa have determined that health care workers get exposed when they remove their protective gear. They can do so without even realizing what they have done. Inexperienced people in the US can do the same thing.

VDU's blog: Ebola virus may be spread by droplets, but not by an airborne route: what that means

I suspect most hospitals will ask for staff to volunteer.

Exactly, and succinctly and well said.
What makes it less likely to spread than Norovirus?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
An Ebola patient (Sudanese) in Germany has just died (did anyone know about him?) and someone else in the same country is now being treated.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Yes, I read about him. He was a U.N. health worker in an Ebola zone.

My thought, if people working in Biohazard 4 Ebola research wear hazmat suits and all the rest, why is OK for frontline healthcare workers to wear ordinary paper gowns, goggles, regular gloves, etc? Why don't those handling far less virus wear the same level of protection if it's so adequate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events