Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What they said in Africa.
Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What spread of it? Realistically now, not some science fiction fantasy version. Thomas Duncan was in the ER and out in the community while symptomatic. There are no other cases, except for a nurse in contact at the peak of the viral load (yes I know there's still time). Thus one could reasonably surmise that while it's infectious, unless you have the right contact at the right time it is not particularly contagious. If it were, we'd have his family plus numerous hospital staff, ER visitors, and whomever else infected. But they aren't. So calm it down.

This hysterical over reaction and the resultant calls for excessive action are far more dangerous to our society at large than the actual virus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What they said in Africa.
Yep, been said before......in Africa, and here. My paranoia stands. When an airline is about to go down, the job of the fight attendant is to calm the passengers down. In no way does this mean the plane won't go down. That detail should have been addressed long before the passengers boarded the flight.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the Reuters article:

UPDATE 4-Spanish Ebola victim conscious and sitting unaided | Reuters
An experimental treatment, ZMab, is available in Spain for use in her case, a health source said. However, it was not clear whether she was now being given the drug. She was given antibodies from previously infected patients earlier this week.

I don't get this.. The quote below is from an article from today. I thought she was doing better? Are they two different patients?

The nurse's assistant in Spain with Ebola remains in critical condition and is having trouble breathing, authorities said.

Ebola outbreak: Health care workers become patients - CNN.com

Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yep, been said before......in Africa, and here. My paranoia stands. When an airline is about to go down, the job of the fight attendant is to calm the passengers down. In no way does this mean the plane won't go down. That detail should have been addressed long before the passengers boarded the flight.
But you aren't listening to the flight attendants, so what does it matter what anybody tells you?

One of the worst case scenarios has already happened, and people are not falling like flies. They aren't. That just the fact of the matter. In fact, there's an opportunity to improve procedures and protocols and even further reduce the likelihood of it becoming pandemic.

But there's no way to reduce hysteria in people if they are determined to give in to it no matter what.

There isn't a protocol for heavy handed dramatics.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Link?
Get up to speed with the latest developments - CNN.com

The rest of the world is not doing enough to stamp out
Ebola in Africa. They said it was just paranoid at first, well, they aren't saying that anymore. They asked for treatment centers and spread prevention early on but we and other countries ignored it as paranoid, excessive. Hopefully it isn't too late.

Quarantine could have happen in Africa before departure to any other country for aid workers. 30 day safety period before leaving. Could have prevented travel for anyone from an infected area without 30 day safety check. Would not have been difficult to do.
Didn't want to, now it's here and abroad. Ebola abroad is a huge deal, I won't underplay this. Nobody should underplay this.

We have no studies about how it can spread in America. Through cattle, pets, birds, we have no idea. Is it possible, yes. It's like kids playing with matches in a garage full of gasoline.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But you aren't listening to the flight attendants, so what does it matter what anybody tells you?

One of the worst case scenarios has already happened, and people are not falling like flies. They aren't. That just the fact of the matter. In fact, there's an opportunity to improve procedures and protocols and even further reduce the likelihood of it becoming pandemic.

But there's no way to reduce hysteria in people if they are determined to give in to it no matter what.

There isn't a protocol for heavy handed dramatics.
We assume people won't spread it here, just like we assumed it wouldn't get this bad in Africa. You are basing your assumptions on the last few weeks of a newly introduced virus in the U.S.
I am basing my heavy handed dramatics on experts in Africa who have worked with it for years and years and cannot stop it's spread to thousands of people regardless of how much they try to educate the public. Workers who predicted this, who asked for aid, who were told no, your paranoid.

Finally, after they have show enough numbers of spread and death, they are getting help. Let's hope it's not too late.

So far, we are equipped to handle it in America has failed. The luck involved in Duncans case doesn't erase the poor handling of this man before hand. From his arrival to the U.S. to his departure by death. The nurse who worked on him had a few days training.

My paranoia stands. I hope our luck doesn't run out because it certainly wasn't because we handled it well.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:

Ebola in Africa. They said it was just paranoid at first, well, they aren't saying that anymore. They asked for treatment centers and spread prevention early on but we and other countries ignored it as paranoid, excessive. Hopefully it isn't too late.

Quarantine could have happen in Africa before departure to any other country for aid workers. 30 day safety period before leaving. Could have prevented travel for anyone from an infected area without 30 day safety check. Would not have been difficult to do.
Didn't want to, now it's here and abroad. Ebola abroad is a huge deal, I won't underplay this. Nobody should underplay this.

We have no studies about how it can spread in America. Through cattle, pets, birds, we have no idea. Is it possible, yes. It's like kids playing with matches in a garage full of gasoline.
Who says it's not that difficult to do? You can't be serious. How do you stop people leaving and where do you house them? You have no right to dictate where people can and cannot go while in another country for gods' sake. America is not the ruler of the world. There are many foreign nationals in the effected areas and you are not the boss of them.

After all, do you expect another nation to come here and seal off Texas? (And if not, why not? Same difference.)

Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 AM

261 posts, read 256,429 times
the ebola case counts are no longer exponential
see here for a regularly updated chart:

discussion threads
here: ebola case counts in computer readable form - FluTrackers
and here: updated chart of ebola-numbers

Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:

Sorry but this is just misinformation, hysteria, and conspiracy theory all wrapped up into one.

It very well know how and why the epidemic spread in Africa. Hygiene, education, lack of resources.

We absolutely know how it can spread in America.

Let's not forget we have a grand total of 2 cases in the US, and only 1 acquired internally.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 AM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Send infected folks to my mother in laws house for dinner....Her cooking will kill anything,ebola virus wouldn't stand a chance......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events