Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I agree that it's spread far further than it should have.

There are a lot of countries and places, yes, even in Africa, that have never before had to deal with Ebola. It's horrible. The disease is horrible, and the situation is horrible. I just don't think we can expect our government to fix it all and to be able to effectively keep it out of the country.

I do think they should have suspended Visas and quarantined anyone coming from affected countries, but we are a massively huge nation with land borders on either side that make it possible to enter the country through more circuitous means. This is a global issue that goes beyond our own country.

There is more everyone could be doing to contain the spread, and I'm not excusing the actions of our government for anything here, but I am also not going to hold them entirely responsible, either.

People say they don't care how the economy or anything else is affected so long as the most drastic of containment measures are implemented to halt any chance of further infection into the USA, but I guarantee, they will care because it will be a cascading collapse of dominoes, and there are a lot of dominoes in play in this "game."
Restricting travel or quarantine would work. Most people in these nations don't have the means to come here anyway, but the few who do are going to have a harder time getting into Central America than they would here. Do you think Central American countries want Ebola? If the international community, such as it is, coordinated with each other to restrict travel to all but essential personnel and instituted quarantines, we may well prevent the spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
I doubt that...just typical anti-fast food propaganda. Food is food.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,599 times
I picked the Forbes article because it relied on (and showed) actual scientific analysis of the data and not emotion.

Here's a National Geographic article that shows both sides if you want that instead.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
What patients? I believe the possible Boston cases were not ebola. The Dallas nurse received a transfusion from Dr. Brantley (bless him). The Dallas nurse's boyfriend is under observation at a Dallas hospital right now (possible ebola).

Patient in Germany died and the nurse in Spain is doing better.
There's a patient in Norway too. I knew the patient in Germany died, but I read there was a transmission in Germany and additional cases. I was hoping to find info on that. I've read the Spanish nurse is doing better and then recently I read she's not doing well at all. I want to find out about the doctor in Atlanta the CDC isn't revealing any info about his progress who has been in the hospital for a month. I want more info than A is better, B is dead, C is bla bla bla. I want to be able to specifically follow the types of treatments each patient receives, and any transmissions that occur. We were doing that previously with different threads but now it's so hard. I'm not the only one either because a few of us post articles with updates sprinkled among the hysterical posts here. It's just really frustrating to find real information here now. It's like a needle in a haystack.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you have a majority of uneducated citizens living in filth and garbage and abject squalor and relying on One dilapidated hospital,is it any wonder this disease is running rampant..
Heres the one hospital in Freetown.
Sierra Leone Blockades Ebola-stricken Areas

Most places expected to combat the ebola virus look like this
Ebola kills a top doctor at Liberia

Or this
Sierra Leone News: 15 Nurses, 2 Doctors quarantined as

I doubt very much this virus will become the major issue here in the USA as it is in west Africa.
Could you dial back the condescension and disgust just a tad? I mean... it is what it is... two months ago conditions in Liberia were exactly as they are today and you weren't shocked and appalled then. What exactly did you think? Did you think Monrovia, Liberia was just like a a warmer version of Syracuse, NY? I don't know... I would have expected the second documented case of Ebola and the first to be contracted in the U.S. to have been one of Thomas Duncan's family members. That it actually turned out to be a hospital nurse is a big black eye to your smug superiority. Early days yet, chum. Early days.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,548 times
Watch Live: CDC Holds Briefing On Ebola - NBC News

Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
2) Stop freaking out;
3) Get your flu shot, stop eating fast food, reduce your intake of sugar, and exercise regularly - because heart disease, cancer and flu are much more likely to get you than Ebola.
That's true today in America
But will it be true in a year?

In Western Africa, there will be 10,000 new cases per week by the end of the year. 7000 will die. Per week. In December.
And it is doubling every 3 weeks.

You want to see a "freak out"? Wait until Ebola appears on a college campus.

The flu of 1918 killed 500,000 American in one summer. Millions, worldwide.

Maybe we ain't scared enough.....

Last edited by Listener2307; 10-14-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Preppers? God laughs while you make plans. Have you seen "tremors "? Kevin bacon was in it. Silly movie, but see the Preppers in that one.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
"Preppers" aren't any better prepared for Ebola than anyone else. That also applies to most natural or man caused disasters.

The situation will never be the one they prepared for.
The equipment they have will not be adequate to the task.
The materials they have will be in the wrong place.
All the guns and ammo are worthless when you don't have water.

This is not to say don't make basic plans and some short term gathering of essentials but really, the preppers are one canteen of water away from disaster, just like most people. You can only drink filtered pee so long.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM

334 posts, read 585,518 times
I think it makes a lot of sense to have enough food and water for at least six weeks. That way, if there is a "bloom" of Ebola, you can stay put and not get exposed as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events