Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times

Advertisements

I just can't figure out why this is news.
Honestly....I've dealt with this kind of stuff since I was a teenager.
Why in the Hell are they making a big production of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 PM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Who cares? It's not relevant, seeing as how most women get harassed in situations like we're discussing.
I was just wondering, since the claim was made that the average size was 34DD and I said I didn't believe it. I figure that when a woman has her breasts out on display, that's the best time to tell how big they are. It was just idle curiosity.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
These guys need to get jobs, quit walking around doing nothing, sitting on the side of the street...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Activists being activists.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
She's an actress and they deliberately picked someone with a large rack and a large butt who wore tight clothes. I'm going to estimate she has a C cup at least. Anyone else have any guesses?
So what's your point? Everything was covered and her clothes where dark and certainly not flashy. Just because nature may have been generous with her and she has a bubbly personality makes her fair game for catcalls, being followed and propositioned? So you would force certain clothing styles on women who have what you perceive as having large bra sizes? This woman is "displaying" nothing. I think you are seeing what you want to see or what you wish you could see but it has nothing to do with the question, should she be harassed in the street.

The answer is "no."

BTW, when I was younger with just an average figure I was followed a few times like this young woman. That was as a time when women dressed more conservatively, worked required dresses and skirts. I got cat-called and I got harassed more than once. Not a whole lot but it did happen and that was in downtown Portland, OR. It happens to women everywhere. But it shouldn't.

Last edited by Minervah; 10-29-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
It's a new thing, to document street harassment. Sometime last year or maybe the year before, a woman in London did it, because she wasn't even aware herself how often it happened and how weird and skeevy it could be at times. (Some dude exposing himself on public transit, lots of incidents on public transit.) She said women are expected to just put up with it, that it was considered "normal". So she wrote an article about it. And a lot of women in London said, "yeah, why should be put up with this? " So it's become an international trend to document and prove the outrageousness of ordinary citizens' behavior on a daily basis. Women are fed up and are putting their collective foot down. It's a new generation. Maybe this is their revolution.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
And a lot of women in London said, "yeah, why should be put up with this? "
It's funny how women say that and then dress up in their yoga pants, sports bras, thongs, belly shirts, and short shorts. That's gotta put a damper on the ol' revolution, right?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 PM

128 posts, read 203,078 times
Quote:
We've said this many times throughout the thread. The guys saying it's about being "thick", and dressing to show off, haven't responded to that, though. Slim, non-curvaceous women do get harassed in the same way around loiterers like that.
I responded several times to this and you're focusing too much on the "thick" part when it really just comes down to how they see her as being sexy and attainable. She wants sexual attention, and if it's not evident by her temperament, it sure is by all the photos she's put up of her breasts. Any woman, including obese women in burqas walking down Wall Street, can be sexually harassed. It doesn't mean it's equally likely to happen to every woman. Go to any street where catcallers lurk and you'll find that they're much more likely to feel they have a shot with a slightly overweight, sexual-looking girl.

For 10 hours of walking, they didn't even get much footage, but put a conservative-looking FOB Indian or Vietnamese girl and this girl on the same street and one of them will get far more attention while the other will not get spoken to or noticed nearly as much, if at all. Guess?

Men tend to assume that more promiscuous-looking women prefer aggressive approaches - because they usually do! It comes from experience. These women often see boldness in an approach that another woman may see as low-class. Studies show women with lower-back tattoos are significantly more likely to be approached than women without tattoos because men perceive these women as being more promiscuous.

Effects of a Tattoo on Men

Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
This is true. I lived in Dallas for one year and during that time I was proposed to 3 times by complete strangers. It happened once at Kroger wearing sweat pants and t-shirt with jacket. The other two times happened at the same flea market. I guess since they did not have the opportunity to make daily catcalls on the street, they jumped straight to proposals in the shopping centers.
LOL! Someone left me a rep asking if what I experienced was a proposal or a proposition.

Does it matter? It is inappropriate to propose in public to a complete stranger. I am sure for those folks who can't seem to figure this out and end up getting turned down, they eventually turn to propositions as they lose respect for themselves and then those around them. All this simply because they can't learn.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
And she's average at best. So you can only imagine what happens to really attractive females
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events