Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times

Advertisements

I see PLENTY of breathtaking women walking around here in NYC and I don't notice behavior like this toward them to this extent. This seems extreme.

I myself just notice I get a lot of stares, which is uncomfortable in its own way. An occasional comment, but nothing like this. But I've been told often I seem "unapproachable" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:53 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
It's funny how women say that and then dress up in their yoga pants, sports bras, thongs, belly shirts, and short shorts. That's gotta put a damper on the ol' revolution, right?
No, the two things have nothing to do with one another. Harassers aren't harassing women because of what they're wearing.

They aren't secret Taliban, they're just pervs who have no game, and like to intimidate people they perceive as weak.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Oh my gosh! Men make lewd comments to them while they have their shirts up?
You don't know a thing about New Orleans, do you? Bourbon Street is a raunchy street of nightlife in the French Quarter. Mardi Gras is a short annual event around Ash Wednesday, and has nothing to do with daily activity along Bourbon.

If you go to Bourbon Street tonight there will be nothing happening resembling Mardi Gras. Sorry to disappoint. Yet the harassment will occur.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
This is hardly typical in America. If you go to a typical suburban shopping mall, big box store, downtown, or anywhere where people are, that same woman would likely hear little if anything. But yes, white girl walking through the "hood" is going to get some comments. So don't walk there. Total setup, as though this happens everywhere. Complete BS, and most people know it.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
But yes, white girl walking through the "hood" is going to get some comments. So don't walk there.
She wasn't walking through the "hood". She was generally walking through fancy areas in Manhattan. Whites aren't rare anywhere in Manhattan, so would not stand out anywhere.

And women get these types of comments all over the place, in all types of environments.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's NYC, what can you expect ?

Do that somewhere decent like Dallas, Kansas City, Atlanta and you'll get a very boring video.

Atlanta is no different.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
It's a mild form of harassment.

i have a problem with it when it crosses the line by asking for sexual favors and getting into her immediate body space. I also have a problem when they do this to young girls.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but would like to mention one thing that really hasn't been discussed. One of the reasons this is harassment, no matter how mild some it may appear, is because it is an entirely one-sided interaction. The woman has no way to safely or reasonably respond to these comments. Sure, she can reply to these comments in a number of ways, ranging from going over and kneeing the jerk to telling them she isn't interested, but any of these responses would result in continued harassment potentially escalating into an overtly dangerous situation for the woman and/or possible arrest.

In these situations the woman's only safe response is to move on as quickly as possible without replying. This is a no-win situation for the woman- she must either be the passive receptor of rude and/or vulgar comments- an object for cretins to project onto- or she responds to the comments, in which case she causes another slew of comments likely including "well, she stopped to respond so she must have been interested".

This isn't a new situation, and it does happen in almost all venues possibly barring family oriented contexts.

Those of you who find amusement or have been making crude remarks about women in this thread are only proving the point- you are exhibiting in an anonymous forum the same type of behavior that many of the men were exhibiting on the street.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Oh please. These men did nothing wrong. If this constitutes "harassment" then I have a lovely bridge for sale on Mars.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
The actress is dressed in a specific way and is, presumably, instructed to carry herself in a scripted manner in regards to how she walks, her facial expressions, and her willingness to interact with strangers. As such, this isn't so much a reflection of reality as it is a sociopolitical editorial
You didn't watch the video, did you? She's dressed in a COMPLETELY normal way. There is NO sexual suggestiveness to her dress whatsoever. Men AND women wear that every day in every country of the world. She didn't walk or talk in a suggestive way. Go back & watch the video please. Your comments are so off the mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events