Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,233,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Elizabeth Warren for President!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Elizabeth Warren would make a bad president and an even worse candidate. She barely beat Scott Brown in a very blue state. She talks down to people, which Baystaters seem to accept but it would go over very poorly with most Americans. She also has a fair amount of baggage along with privilege that have to be checked. Democrats can and will do better than her if only because it's hard to do worse.
You got that right, troyfan! ^^^^^^ As a Bay Stater, the LAST thing I want to see is Elizabeth Warren running for president!! She is another real phoney.

LMAO @Labonte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,621,359 times
I am curious to see who the Republican presidential nominee ends up being. I suspect that the primary will be pretty rough, as there is no clear front runner. I do not see Romney, Paul or Christie winning in a primary fight.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,048,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jimmy Carter.

Name something the Democrats have fixed...
Thank you for taking the bate.

• Social Security
• Medicare, Medicaid, Healthcare Reform, Food Safety
• New Deal, Great Society, Peace Corp, Vista, Job Corp
• Civil Rights, Women’s Right to Vote, Equal Rights, The Voting Rights Act, Equal Pay Act, Motor Voter
• Consumer Protection, FDIC, Banking and Wall Street Regulations, SEC, Federal Reserve System, Anti-trust Legislation
• Funding for Science, Medical and Engineering Research, Space Exploration, NSF, NIH
• Support for Public Education, Head Start, School Lunch and Breakfast Programs
• NLRB, 8 hr. Work Day/40 hr. Work Week, Overtime, Unemployment
• Protection for the Environment, Increased Numbers and Support of National Parks and Wilderness Areas, Endangered Species Act, FEMA
• Veterans’ Benefits, GI Bill
• UN, NATO, Marshall Plan
• Vehicles Safety Requirements, Reduced Emissions, and Fuel Economy Standards (CAFE)
• TVA, Federal Loan Program, PBS, NPR, the Internet
• Economic Growth (Democratic Presidents: Roosevelt through Obama)

Meanwhile you couldn't come up with even one thing the Republicans have ever fixed. Republicans are the most epic political failures in the history of the world.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,332,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I generally identify republican (more libertarian), though I tend to think for myself rather than vote party lines. But.. Republicans have been given a chance to fix things. Better do it. Otherwise, another wave will come around in 2 years.

Obama has been a pretty bad president from the compromise side. I've completely been against him since the "Go win an election" comment. Republicans held the house when he said that, guess how they did it? by winning elections. Well, they won an election without question now, so now what, Chuckles? Oh, it doesn't count because there was low voter turnout? Idiot.

It still remains though.. this election was nothing more than "Ok, they've totally screwed up.. Your turn.. You've got 2 years to impress us"

Republicans need to drop the 'repeal Obamacare' mantra.. focus on fixing what's wrong with it vs throwing the whole thing out. There are some good parts of it. Both sides need to shut up and compromise. And if the Libertarian party would get off its butt and do some Perot type organizing, they could steal 2016. Yeah, that's not gonna happen, but.. It's a nice dream.
Yeah right. Now that the GOP has control of both houses, NOW they'll suddenly be concerned with "fixing" things. Never mind the number of GOP candidates who ran in 2012 on the platform of "getting rid of Obama" and nothing more. Yeah, they sure did a lot of "fixing" when their attitude revolved around "I'd rather see the country fail utterly than to see Obama succeed." The GOP was more than willing to throw America and everyone in it under the bus just to stroke their own irrational hatred of this president.

Since the GOP did nothing but try and obstruct just about every piece of legislation introduced by a Democrat since 2008 - and since the GOP constantly shut down the government, or threatened to, whenever they didn't get what they wanted, "fixing" things now is a dollar short and a day late.

The ONLY reason why the GOP managed to take control of both houses is because far too many Americans have woefully short memories. Only the very politically astute will remember a lot of the farcical nonsense that has gone on since 2008 including, but not limited to:
  • No less than 13 Republican investigations into Benghazi (9/11 only had ONE) because the GOP refused to give up until they could pin something on Obama; even the Pentagon was getting irritated at the repetitive requests for documents. Thousands of man-hours and $54 million of tax payer dollars were wasted in this stupid witch hunt.
  • The unconstitutional racial gerrymandering in Alabama designed to limit black voting power - which it did since Democrats lost 4 seats thanks to these cheap and underhanded un-American tactics.
  • When Republicans tried to redefine rape so that violence was necessary for non-consensual sex to be considered rape. This was attempted purely to make it harder for rape victims to get an abortion. This bill was so repulsive that it never went to a vote, thankfully, but for crying out loud, it shows the depths they are willing to sink to get their own way.
  • Boehner refusing Obama's request to address a joint session of congress - the first time in US history a president was refused. Instead, the GOP moved Obama's jobs speech to the same night as the opening of the NFL season - deliberately sabotaging the size of Obama's audience (Obama might have a good idea or two, so best to limit the number of people who actually hears them)
  • The various voting shenanigans that preceeded the 2012 elections. GOP politicans tried relentlessly to limit or discontinue voting services heavily used by Democrats such as same-day registration, early voting, and polling stations on college campuses. In Ohio, that all-important state, Republicans tried to rig the election so that polling stations in Republican districts would have polling stations open late into the evening and on weekends while Democratic districts would only be allowed to open their polls Monday through Friday during business hours. Democratic voters in North Carolina were all but openly refused the right to vote with all of the nonsense the GOP majority there tried putting into place.
  • The Republican's bigoted stance against gays and same-sex marriage (which Americans overwhelmingly support now) - and how every single GOP presidential candidate in 2012 supported a US constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman (whatever happened to letting the states decide?!?)
  • The fact that a transportation bill that has passed every year since the Eisenhower administration was rejected for no apparent reason (but we know it was to merely tweak Obama). The refusal to pass this bill nearly cost America one million jobs.
  • Or that time when the GOP wanted to spruce up spending at the Pentagon - and this cash infusion to the military would be paid for by taking money away from social programs, mostly for the elderly (Meals On Wheels was a big target). Most people were unaware that excessive spending on the military even when social issues are dire is one of the 14 points of fascism). Fortunately, that bill was defeated.
  • Or ... the numerous times the House held the American people hostage by shutting down the government (or threatening such) whenever the GOP didn't get it's way. A majority of Americans blamed the GOP for this BS as well they should have (but everyone has forgotten about that)
  • The fact that internet memes and general internet stupidity actually began appearing in mainstream GOP politicians' and candidates' speeches. Everything from Obama's birth certificate, his religious beliefs (Gingrich called him an atheist Muslim LOL!), not wearing an American flag pin on his lapel, Obama bowing to the Japanese prime minister, childish teleprompter jokes, harping on his golfing (even though Bush Jr. has taken the most vacation days of any president - with Reagan coming in second), the completely bogus "$200 million per day" trip to India, and dozens upon dozens of other, similar examples of GOP immaturity and sophomoric behavior.
  • Oh yeah, I just couldn't leave out the ruckus the GOP made about the government helping to fund NPR (mainly because of the firing of Juan Williams, one of NPR's more conservative figures). Yeah, firing Mr. Williams proved that NPR was too liberal for the government to fund. Of course, the party line was that it was too much money - though when it came to the $10 billion in government subsidies the oil companies received every year - in addition to their record profits - well, that's different! There's always plenty of money for corporate welfare!
  • The Muppets are a bunch of liberal communists and haters of America because a business tycoon was the villain in their newest movie. Yeah ... that was dumb.

Sure, NOW the Republicans will sit up straight and actually play the game the right way - but only because they want to turn the next 2 years into a big public relations stunt. They want to strut around like peacocks saying, "See? See? Look what we can do if we have ALL the power." Never mind the Democrats could be just as effective if Obama hadn't needed to fight tooth and nail against non-stop obstructionism.

But they better do something pretty damn impressive. If all they do is cater to the GOP base by ripping apart Obamacare, eroding the separation of church and state, giving the rich hefty tax breaks while the working and middle classes are still struggling with stagnant wages, deregulating Wall Street so they'll be permitted to rake in billions of personal dollars by causing a second recession, and going full bore against abortion and contraception - or even reversing the gay rights victories - yeah, we'll see just how far across the aisle the Republicans are willing to reach.

If Americans remembered even 1/10th of the idiotic GOP hijinks that ground the government to a screeching, painful halt (since they were all willing to see every American fall into abject poverty than to see Obama succeed), they would NOT have taken control of the Senate. Hell, they may have even lost the House.

But no ... the 20 minute American attention span won the day for the GOP.

Last edited by Shirina; 11-12-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM

10,257 posts, read 6,346,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thank you for taking the bate.

• Social Security
• Medicare, Medicaid, Healthcare Reform, Food Safety
• New Deal, Great Society, Peace Corp, Vista, Job Corp
• Civil Rights, Women’s Right to Vote, Equal Rights, The Voting Rights Act, Equal Pay Act, Motor Voter
• Consumer Protection, FDIC, Banking and Wall Street Regulations, SEC, Federal Reserve System, Anti-trust Legislation
• Funding for Science, Medical and Engineering Research, Space Exploration, NSF, NIH
• Support for Public Education, Head Start, School Lunch and Breakfast Programs
• NLRB, 8 hr. Work Day/40 hr. Work Week, Overtime, Unemployment
• Protection for the Environment, Increased Numbers and Support of National Parks and Wilderness Areas, Endangered Species Act, FEMA
• Veterans’ Benefits, GI Bill
• UN, NATO, Marshall Plan
• Vehicles Safety Requirements, Reduced Emissions, and Fuel Economy Standards (CAFE)
• TVA, Federal Loan Program, PBS, NPR, the Internet
• Economic Growth (Democratic Presidents: Roosevelt through Obama)
All of which Repubicans would like to end in the name of "less government". They never met a social program or safety net for ANYONE they liked. Survival of the RICHEST.

I am old enough to know these things run in cycles. Americans need to learn their "don't know what you have got, until it's gone." Hopefully, they will wake up in time before it's too late this time.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 PM

17,652 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I am curious to see who the Republican presidential nominee ends up being. I suspect that the primary will be pretty rough, as there is no clear front runner. I do not see Romney, Paul or Christie winning in a primary fight.
I think it's going to wind up being Jeb to be honest. And he will have a tough time overcoming that he is not his brother.

Christie, I think has no chance. He's the golden boy of the moment, but I think once things get dug into.. Skeletons come up (It's New Jersey after all)

Romney I don't think runs again.

Rand Paul.. It could turn around for him.. But right now I don't see it.

Rubio.. I think the lack of experience would hurt.

Rick Perry.. if he doesn't go boneheaded like in '12, he might have a chance.

Any republican candidate pretty much needs to just bow out of 2 issues.. They need to say that abortion is the legal and they're not going to try to make it either harder or easier to access. They need to say that gay marriage has been decided by the courts and they're not going to attempt to undo what has been done on it. A third might be Obamacare, which I would recommend running on a 'fix it' platform.

Take those issues off the table.. You swing a whole lot of independents to you.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Democrats knew they were in trouble on election night Tuesday when a Virginia Senate seat that was expected to be a blowout victory began to come in much closer than expected.

Read more

The democrats were not expecting such a result of this election. This means if Hillary runs in 2016 she has to dig herself out of a huge hole. America rejected Obama plain and simple and Hillary was part of the administration
Hillary has for several months before know it was coming it seems and started trying to distance herself from Obama. bill Clinton has been gather his faction for a platform fight to replace progressive liberal who got the majority in 2008. He wants to bring the party and his wife back to center right in party. Just as senate democrats now want to vote on pipeline to help in Louisiana senate run off.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM

30,541 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Name one thing the Republicans have ever fixed.
Slavery.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM

390 posts, read 942,955 times
Women are flocking to the Republican party in droves

Old 11-12-2014, 02:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,880 times
The pendulum swings the other way every two years. Both sides have to find a way to cooperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events