Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times

Advertisements

Today is Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is an annual event to mourn the loss and commemorate the lives of the trans* people who have been murdered in the previous year.

Why do we need such a day? Trans people experience a great deal of violence: physical, emotional, and sexual. They are, possibly more than any other minority group in the United States, very likely to be murdered simply for being who they are.

For example, the odds of a man being murdered in the U.S. is around 1 in 13,500. While exact numbers are hard to pin down, it's often said the murder risk for trans people is 1 in 12. It's measured as being 50% higher than LGB people, despite the fact trans people make up roughly .3% of the overall population.

I would venture to say most people are unaware of or are mis-educated about trans people. I hope this might be a small way to get some folks thinking about trans people and the issues they face day to day.

Here are some links about TDOR itself. The first link includes the names of those murdered this year and in previous years.
About TDOR | Transgender Day of Remembrance
Transgender Day of Remembrance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Transgender Day of Remembrance #TDOR - November 20 | GLAAD

These are a few good introductory sources about trans* people and trans issues.
Transgender 101 | GLAAD
Trans 101 | I Am: Trans People Speak
Transgender - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally, here's an interesting photo essay that shows trans people from different walks of life. Ignore the eye-rollingly hyperbolic title.
14 Beautiful Photos That Will Change How You See Gender Forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times
Transgender people are mentally ill. It's a sickness. They don't deserve violence towards them for the sickness, but they're sick. Only a sick person would want to mutiliate themselves. Their dna clearly tells what sex they are.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Transgender people are mentally ill. It's a sickness. They don't deserve violence towards them for the sickness, but they're sick. Only a sick person would want to mutiliate themselves. Their dna clearly tells what sex they are.
Why would what they choose to do to their own bodies bother you in any shape, way, or form? Seems like the problem is you, not them.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Why would what they choose to do to their own bodies bother you in any shape, way, or form? Seems like the problem is you, not them.
Because they want special protections for themselves, that is why. The fed gov has been pushing for them to be a protected class (there is already an executive order preventing discrimination by federal contractors), and pushing to get all of their body mods covered by insurance.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
Default Transgender Day of Remembrance

[U
First of all, I am not posting to necessarily discriminate against anyone. I'm trying no to do that.

Did anyone make a proclamation and announce through newspaper or other media that November 20 shall be recognized as Transgender Day of Remembrance? I'm just curious about that.

Since I am not exposed to transgender people, I never quite got what that is. Never tried to read about it because I never wanted to.

The first thing i took notice of was the word dysphoria, a medical term for uneasiness or dissatisfaction with life. Dysphoria maybe present with depression, PTSD, anxiety, Schizophrenia and other mental illness.

So, transgender people have gender dysphoria,which is like anorexia nervosa as an obsession with their body ,
the role that society expects because of their body, and the role they feel they need because of their feelings about who they are, not because of their body. Am I right? If not, tell me.

Now, this species dysphoria to me a full blown psychiatric problem. It is insane that a person could believe that they are in the wrong species body. How could a person fathom that they should be in an animal body?
For example, a person believes that they should should be in a deer body. What makes them think that they know about a deer's life or a deer's thought or if you will intelligence. People know little or nothing about the minds of animals or their sexuality or the instinct of breeding
or their sexual wanton, I suppose male animals are sexual predators, I don't know.

What species of body dysphoric people know is they have sexual arousal to thinking of themselves as that particular animal.

So, I think all of those dysphoric people have something that is a defect in their brain or their hormones that gives at least the propensity for those types of feelings.
It would be believable that a hermaphrodite could feel that transgender thing. Species...No way, The DSM-5 does have info on Transgender and included those communities, one the OP mentioned and i don't remember right now. That should tell that those things are Mental Illness.

Last edited by tinynot; 11-20-2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: restructed paragraphs that this device causes

Old 11-20-2014, 04:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Transgender people are mentally ill. It's a sickness. They don't deserve violence towards them for the sickness, but they're sick. Only a sick person would want to mutiliate themselves.
So what do you think about people who get boob jobs? Or nose jobs? Are they mentally ill? What about people who get their ears pierced? Or tattoos? After all, ear piercing and tattoos are a form of mutilation as well. Are these people also mentally ill?
Quote:
Their dna clearly tells what sex they are.
Not necessarily. Some of them have physical conditions, such as hermaphroditism or pseudohermaphroditism in which their biological gender is not clear. Most of them have felt as though they were the opposite gender from the time they were small children. There is some evidence that the brains of TG people are different from gay and heterosexual people. Scientists have not drawn any conclusions about this yet, but it is clear that their brains are wired differently from other people, perhaps even from birth.

I actually know two TG people myself. I bet you don't since you are so judgmental about them. One is a M to F lady who is a very successful practicing attorney and helped me with a minor legal matter. Another is a personal friend of mine who is undergoing transition right now. She is a transitioning F to M, and has a longtime girlfriend who is helping her through this stressful time. She is a great friend to me, and my life would not be as joyous without her in it.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
There is definitely some sort of mental problem with these people, or they would not be changing their sex.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But it is at least partly factually wrong.

Being trans is not listed in the DSM V as being a mental disorder. Instead, to quote the source:
Quote:
The new manual will diagnose transgender people with “Gender Dysphoria,” which communicates the emotional distress that can result from “a marked incongruence between one’s experienced/expressed gender and assigned gender.” This will allow for affirmative treatment and transition care without the stigma of disorder. Earlier this year, the APA also released new health guidelines for transgender patients, as well as a position statement affirming transgender care and civil rights. Both documents align with a new standard for respecting trans people in the medical community.
This stance is agreed upon, as far as I know, by every major medical association in the western world.

Gender dysphoria is treated primarily through transitioning, which covers both social and medical aspects of living as one's identified gender. It can cover everything from telling friends and family to call you by a different name to having genital surgery. It is all considered medically appropriate treatment. It's no more mutilation than someone getting a flu shot or having a broken arm reset or having a malignant tumor removed.

As far as DNA, again, partially right. We live in a world of X and Y chromosomes and really want to believe it's as simple as that. Unfortunately, it's not. There are intersex people with various X and Y combinations, but even in people who are obviously male or obviously female, there's some variation.

For example, the brains od transsexual people more closely resemble the sex they identify with rather than the sex they were born into. This is a short article, but the actual studies can be found by Googling transsexual brain studies or something similar. There are a few out there.

I am glad that you agree we shouldn't be subjected to violence for who we are. It's unfortunate that some people disagree. Unfortunately, the idea that we're mentally ill/sick often contributes to that violence.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because they want special protections for themselves, that is why. The fed gov has been pushing for them to be a protected class (there is already an executive order preventing discrimination by federal contractors), and pushing to get all of their body mods covered by insurance.
I'm curious as to why you think that's a bad thing? Trans people are subjected to violence and discrimination in school, jobs, housing...pretty much ever facet of life, and at a much greater rate than many other protected classes. Why then should we not be entitled to the same protection others have?

I'm unaware of any movement to give us rights above others or anything like that, but gender identity should be protected alongside race, religion, sex, and everything else.

And as stated in the above post, those "body mods" are appropriate medical treatment. They should be covered by insurance.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
I don't really care that much whether people are women, think they are women, or whatever, but people with penises should not be changing in women's locker rooms. That's just wrong, regardless of how someone feels about it.

Another thing that bothers me is, I've heard of doctors in my very own city who are starting to give pre-teens drugs and hormones to help them "transition" from one gender to the other, usually at the desire of parents who would rather present a transitioning female to the world rather than bear the "shame" of having an effeminate son. This is something for a person to decide when he/she is 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events