Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...194346168.html

We need more public figures like this.
Yes...

The world needs more football coaches who agree with you on social issues, because... well, why, precisely? Because you value the input of football coaches on social issues? Or because you just think it's really impressive when a guy who won a Super Bowl agrees with you on an issue having nothing to do with football?

On a side note, I'm embarrassed to be a member of the same species as Mr. Ditka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 PM

22 posts, read 19,548 times
Why should he be embarrassed? The players are exercising their freedom of speech. Things like police violence and racial profiling tend to happen to minorities and there are a lot of people that are against that, we should have moved on from those days we live in the in 2014 for goodness sakes!

Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, we definitely need more people like Mike. You know, someone who actually worked hard to get where he is. Someone who continued his education, contributed to society, etc. We dont have to work hard to pay for Mike Ditka. We dont have to send police to watch Mike and his neighborhood. We dont have to hear about Mike selling drugs to kids, or pulling drive by shootings on people because he doesnt like the neighborhood they live in or the colors theyre wearing.
So if you support the Ferguson protests and an end to Police corruption you didn't work hard to get where your at?

What narrative are you pushing here?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why am I picturing John Carlos and Tommie Smith? They were wrong because of the time and place.

The Rams players are wrong because the hands up thing did not happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Even Don Lemon from CNN has begun the process of dismantling the false "hands up" narrative.
All but 2 witnesses I believe, said that Brown's hands were up when Wilson started shooting.

And Don Lemon? What a joke.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanoroftroy View Post
Why should he be embarrassed? The players are exercising their freedom of speech. Things like police violence and racial profiling tend to happen to minorities and there are a lot of people that are against that, we should have moved on from those days we live in the in 2014 for goodness sakes!
+1

30 years since Rodney King (who was a butt head), got thrashed by the cops & they still have the nerve to object to wearing body cams.

Sorry, but if you're "on the clock", the people have a right to see what you're using that gun/badge & maglite for.

If ya aint doing anything wrong, ya got nothing to fear.. isn't that what the cops always say?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Really?

What was this all about then:

Some people clearly disprove of the Rams' players stance in the Ferguson issue (they're professional athletes, not politicians, blah blah blah, play football, etc.)

Yet, those same people applaud Ditka's stance on said issue as it's a complete 180 from what those players believe (we need more people like him voicing their opinions, running for office, lol wut?).

And vice versa.

The 'you' is a general statement.

I wasn't talking about his assessment of what the Rams' players did, I was talking about his opinion on Ferguson.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:39 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
A millionaire facing a dui charge is in a whole other league than an "average guy" facing a dui charge.

So yes.. it's quite likely he doesn't get stomped/choked/shot unless he really acts up.
Let me put it a different way, then. I personally had 2 DWI's in the 1980's, plus a driving-while-suspended-for-DWI. I am an average guy, not a millionaire.

As an average guy who grew up in a working class family and who has had non-amicable contact with law enforcement, I am embarrassed for the working class Rams players who haven't bothered to learn the facts of the Mike Brown case. He did not have his hands up despite what his crime partner told the TV news crews on the day of the shooting.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Even Don Lemon from CNN has begun the process of dismantling the false "hands up" narrative.
You Jest, I thought Don was the biggest promoter of hands up, or tail up, or something like that.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 PM

777 posts, read 880,612 times
The NFL players put their hands up after they came out of the tunnel.
So what!!!!!!?
Mike Ditka used to spit on the ground a lot when he coached the Chicago
Bears. I found that far more disgusting. I nicknamed him Mike Spitka.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Really?

A wealthy old white guy who lives in a multi-million $$ home in a gated community doesn't understand the problems faced by black / poor Americans?

What else is "news"?

Is water really "wet"?

/duh!

Let's be honest here, a lot of the problems "faced by black/poor Americans" are self imposed. The majority of us play by the rules, respect the police, and generally never have any problems getting through our lives. But a handful of people seem to chose to march to a different drummer. Blacks and poor Americans, as you put it, could do so much toward elevating their status and respect levels by simply doing the right things and by using peer pressure to make their fellow blacks and poor Americans want to do the right things too.

I keep hearing the word "respect" thrown around so much by the people you describe, and they seem to feel that they deserve respect simply because they exist. NO ONE automatically gets respect in this world, everyone EARNS it by their behavior, their deeds, and the way they treat others. A good percentage of blacks and poor Americans "get it" and are rewarded by the respect from others, but the small percentage (like we have been seeing acting like fools in Ferguson) tarnish everything those good people have worked so hard for.

Scenes like we have been seeing on TV lately have caused a lot of us to look at the entire black population a lot different than we did a few weeks ago............I know I do.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events