Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 09:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
We had two situations in our county where someone texting while driving caused an accident that killed people. They were pretty much ostracized by the public and they had the book thrown at them. I don't know of anyone who felt sorry for them.
I'm amazed how you ignored my other list of known risky actions...but not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
What this was was a self-fulfilling prophecy. The woman was afraid to go into her local grocery store without a weapon because she was convinced something bad could happen to her. And it did.
Ummm...yea. I can't speak as to what her actual concerns were, in carrying her weapon. But yes, something quite bad happened. I carry a weapon all the time. Not always a firearm, a LTL can usually be found with me , most everywhere, though. Its not fear that makes this so, however. Its just preparedness.

A while back, but not that long ago, my lady was attacked going to her car after work. A weapon saved her from being viciously raped, and probably killed. It DOES frighten me, thinking about that. In the after math of what that vermin had in mind, I don't think she would have wanted to go on living. There are evil people out there. They are NOT a myth or a creation made up to justify wanting to be armed.

Nor is it paranoia to want to be prepared to deal with them, should they target you or your loved ones. Also, successfully defending yourself against a violent attack does not mean you "win" and get out unscathed, either. Quite the opposite. My lady carries a heavy burden because of what happened. She has nightmares, jumps at shadows, shys from my touch sometimes, because her mind is elsewhen/ where when I reached out....I shudder to think what it would have been had the creep been successful in his attack. Without her weapon, he would have been.

This young woman's reasons for having a weapon are unknown. She could have been under some threat, or been attacked before, or just was not wanting to be a victim. Fear? Perhaps...but that is not a bad thing, all around. Fear is there to help us survive. Her death was a freakish accident, caused by inattention. That it happened in this manner is not as common as a lot of other ways that people die , for the same reason, but the root of it is from the same tree. She didn't deserve this. The world is not better for it, and it contains no humor. At all...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Are you trying to say that the 2 year old deliberately killed his mother?
I suspect his parents had been playing "guns" with him with either a real gun or an airsoft-style facsimile.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I haven't seen anybody denying that the rules of safe carry were violated here. People have lapses in judgement all the time. That doesn't mean they are "morons". Nor does it give anyone the right to pass judgement and call the world a better place because a child lost his mother. Honestly, this take is right up there with the crap those Westboro Baptist clowns spout.

It has nothing to do with intellect. Even the most brilliant among us have lapses in judgement. Brain farts. If you will. She was a nuclear scientist. Hardly a field of endeavor for "morons". Goes to show, education by itself, must be supplemented with common sense and experience. This lapse in judgement was fatal. It happens every day too. A worker doesn't lock out a machine before working on it, texting and driving, drinking and doing ANYTHING that requires clear faculties... etc.

By the logic you apply, if her son had gotten hold of a book of matches and burned himself to death, you would call that deserved. As to the kind of person I am, I'm a guy that thinks a dead mother does not make the world a better place, and justify that opinion with an inflated opinion of myself. Since you went so far as to tell me what kind of person I am, I'll take a turn myself. I'll bet you are one of those "educated" people, some degree or another, of some significant academic achievement, who feels an educational degree also doubles as a license for a pompous attitude, and makes one somehow exempt from Murphy's Law and lapses in judgement.

At any rate, so happy that YOUR world is a better place with a young mothers death. My world sees that as an...odd..thing, to feel warm and fuzzy about.
So, according to you, this woman keeping a gun within reach of a child is an unfortunate lapse of judgement ? What does it take for someone to be at fault in your book? If the child shot at another person, would that also be an ok event in your book?

So do you feel sorry for people who get DUIs or who text and drive and end up killing some other person? That's who you feel sorry for?

uh, if the boy burned his mom down, ya that would be deserved. The toddler has no idea what he is doing, thus isn't at fault. It would be somewhat sad if he burned himself. He didn't do anything wrong, so he shouldn't be injured. If he managed to burn his mom? No, still no sympathy. Don't keep matches near a toddler. Why is it so hard for people to keep dangerous items away from children?

Yes, I'm in college. I'd like to point out that "Murphy's law" isn't actually real. It's a saying. Sure people have lapses in judgement. That's why if it's something that can be potentially fatal, you double check yourself. I reserve my sympathies for things that people can't control. I.e the victim of some drunk guy driving a car and crashing into them.

I don't feel warm and fuzzy about her death, but I'm not particularly sad about it. It's how this world works, you do dumb things, you pay the consequences. Why should I feel sad about it?

Just out of curiosity, do you think tamar rice is responsible for his own death? (the 12 year old who was pretend shooting at people with a fake gun, some lady called the cops, and the cops shot and killed the boy after he allegedly was trying to get to the fake gun when the cops told him to raise his hands).

also, since you are conservative, you are likely against abortion. How about some 15 year olds have a "lapse of judgement" and have sex and that results in a child. What do you suggest then? Marriage and raising the child because of a "lapse of judgement"?

Last edited by stellastar2345; 12-31-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect his parents had been playing "guns" with him with either a real gun or an airsoft-style facsimile.
He was TWO. He may have just been rooting around in that purse and had no clue what happened. We didn't see it. We don't know.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Two is too young for that. No one plays guns with a 2-yr-old.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
So, according to you, this woman keeping a gun within reach of a child is an unfortunate lapse of judgement ? What does it take for someone to be at fault in your book? If the child shot at another person, would that also be an ok event in your book?
I don't think anyone said "It was okay", but what was said is that noone is 100% perfect 100% of the time. Most of us are just lucky those times, but this woman wasn't.

So do you feel sorry for people who get DUIs or who text and drive and end up killing some other person? That's who you feel sorry for?
I don't think this has to do with feeling sorry for anyone but the kid. What was said, again, is that noone is 100%, 100% of the time, and no criminal intent was present, nor were laws broken. DUI is criminal intent, and laws are broken, same for texting and driving in many states. This is more equivalent to bending down to get a CD that you dropped.

uh, if the boy burned his mom down, ya that would be deserved. The toddler has no idea what he is doing, thus isn't at fault. It would be somewhat sad if he burned himself. He didn't do anything wrong, so he shouldn't be injured. If he managed to burn his mom? No, still no sympathy. Don't keep matches near a toddler. Why is it so hard for people to keep dangerous items away from children? Agreed, poor move for Mom, and no, the toddler is not at fault. The adult is.

Yes, I'm in college. I'd like to point out that "Murphy's law" isn't actually real. It's a saying. Sure people have lapses in judgement. That's why if it's something that can be potentially fatal, you double check yourself. I reserve my sympathies for things that people can't control. I.e the victim of some drunk guy driving a car and crashing into them. Let us know in 10 years how nothing you ever did in poor judgement ever had consequences.

I don't feel warm and fuzzy about her death, but I'm not particularly sad about it. It's how this world works, you do dumb things, you pay the consequences. Why should I feel sad about it? Well, unless you knew her, it would be a bit much to TRULY feel sad about it, but I wish it hadn't happened, if only for the sake of the motherless child and the loss of productivity to the work force, etc. She was "one of us" who actually had a job and worked for a living and contributed to the system instead of a leach.

Just out of curiosity, do you know about the tamar rice case? If so, do you think the 12 year old is responsible for his death?
Yes, I know about the Tamir case, and yes, I think that Tamir is responsible in part for his death, as are his parents, as is bad luck, as are inexperienced officers, but ultimately, I would have to place the blame on the person who at their age should have known better than the point a pistol at people in a park and make to go for it when he saw police.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Yes, I know about the Tamir case, and yes, I think that Tamir is responsible in part for his death, as are his parents, as is bad luck, as are inexperienced officers, but ultimately, I would have to place the blame on the person who at their age should have known better than the point a pistol at people in a park and make to go for it when he saw police.
it's not much of a mistake for a grown woman with a college education (it's just a lapse of judgement) to leave a gun within reach of a toddler, but it's mostly a 12 year old's [childs] fault for playing with a fake gun.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
it's not much of a mistake for a grown woman with a college education (it's just a lapse of judgement) to leave a gun within reach of a toddler, but it's mostly a 12 year old's [childs] fault for playing with a fake gun.
I'm sorry, did you find where I said it wasn't the woman's fault? You can call Tamir's actions a lapse of judgement, too, if it makes you feel better.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I'm sorry, did you find where I said it wasn't the woman's fault? You can call Tamir's actions a lapse of judgement, too, if it makes you feel better.
weren't you saying it's just a lapse of judgement? I may have you confused with another poster then. I'm sorry about that then.

Personally? I think both were signs of moronic people, and like I said, dumb decisions have bad consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events