Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 11:38 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
He was TWO. He may have just been rooting around in that purse and had no clue what happened. We didn't see it. We don't know.
"Two" runs from 24 to 36 months. A 30-month-old child can be taught how to pick up a pistol, point it, and squeeze the trigger.

Idaho mother accidentally shot by 2-year-old son after he unzipped gun pocket, family says | Star Tribune

Quote:
Terry Rutledge, Veronica's father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman's purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Terry Rutledge said his daughter-in-law did not put the weapon "loosely into her purse."

Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother's purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff's office said.

The woman's purse was new and was designed to carry a concealed firearm, the sheriff's office said.
My daughter and I have been shopping for one of those purses for her use. The gun compartment is completely separated from the rest of the purse, and the zipper is deliberately hidden in those purses. The child wouldn't have found it if he hadn't seen earlier where it was and how to get to it. If he'd never seen or played with a pistol before, it's unlikely he'd have found the trigger and known to give it hard enough and long enough of a squeeze to make something happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Maybe try to be a responsible gun owner instead of taking unnecessary chances? What about this is so hard to understand? Since you are already thinking about future scenarios, maybe think of this one as well and think hmm. baby can reach into there and take the gun, maybe I should but it in a babyproof case or something.
We get it. You don't think people make mistakes. Noone ever said she is not to blame, but your views are idealistic, not realistic. Trust me, almost all I do for a living is deal with the poor choices of others. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES! This does not remove fault, but it's also not shocking, and "there but for the grace of God go I" is a much more sensible approach to it, unless you're somehow flawless...Do you drink? Smoke? Ever driven when tired? Eat red meat? The list goes on and on of "things that will kill you because you did them knowing better".

Once again, when you are around things that can potentially get fatal, it should be ingrained in you to be extra cautious. I'm going to say you're already more paranoid than most when you get a gun to protect yourself, shouldn't you be a bit more proactive too? Hmm, do I really need this CD, or should I wait til I'm secure and parked to get it. I'm driving this heavy car that can kill me. Of course, you've never done anything like that. No, not you...
Again, idealism vs. realism. Right? No. Realistic? Sadly so. This article is proof.

Sure, I'm sure I'll do things in poor judgement (hopefully not around anything that can kill me or others, but I'm always more cautious in those situations), and I'll probably face the consequences. I won't be looking for sympathy or say things like "it's a lapse of judgement" to try and lessen the blame.
I don't think anyone is "lessening the blame". We are only saying that this woman wasn't an inherently stupid person. She just had a stupid moment, and she paid. If you think one person's life is defined by a single moment, well, can I pick yours from your facebook wall for 2014? LOL!

there's plenty to take her place (and I'm willing to bet more cautious). She's in a field where you have to be cautious or else you'll blow something up, so I'm betting if this gun "lapse" didn't do her in, something similar would have. You can't be carefree and work with nuclear energy.
There is no way to know. She went to college and had on the job training to deal with nuclear energy. She maybe didn't have much training at all with a firearm. You are equating expertise in one field with a "set level" of expertise across all fields. As someone who works in healthcare, I deal with a TON of "experts" in their fields who can't even manage to not kill themselves by over-eating, not taking their medication, etc. Are they all just worthless stains? No. They just don't excel at that one thing, which happens to be an important thing.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Two" runs from 24 to 36 months. A 30-month-old child can be taught how to pick up a pistol, point it, and squeeze the trigger.

Idaho mother accidentally shot by 2-year-old son after he unzipped gun pocket, family says | Star Tribune

My daughter and I have been shopping for one of those purses for her use. The gun compartment is completely separated from the rest of the purse, and the zipper is deliberately hidden in those purses. The child wouldn't have found it if he hadn't seen earlier where it was and how to get to it. If he'd never seen or played with a pistol before, it's unlikely he'd have found the trigger and known to give it hard enough and long enough of a squeeze to make something happen.
Why in the world would you carry a firearm that is in something that is likely the first thing to be snatched, and further, is nearly impossible for you to get to quickly? This is one of those "Talisman" mentalities..."If I just have it near me..."

I ignored most of my childhood physical and motorskill development classes, so I can't argue with you intelligently about the other.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,641 times
Yet another Darwinian Award winner I see

Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying "Oh poor woman, let's feel sorry for her", but rather "She paid her money and made her choice, RIP, let's move on." Then some are all "I'm glad she's dead", which is nutty and stupid. It would be like me being glad you got raped because we had an anti-gun conversation and you didn't think you needed one. That would be idiotic and symptomatic of some personal issues, don't you think?
ugh. I'm not anti gun. I have no issues with you having a gun (or 10).

she made a deeply moronic decision. Too me, there's way to many people in the world and it's going to get harder with Chinese and Indians becoming real competitors for the same jobs. The less stupid people, the better.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Yet another Darwinian Award winner I see
I still think this guy takes the cake for child gun safety fails:

WARNING kid shoots man at wedding - YouTube

Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
ugh. I'm not anti gun. I have no issues with you having a gun (or 10).

she made a deeply moronic decision. Too me, there's way to many people in the world and it's going to get harder with Chinese and Indians becoming real competitors for the same jobs. The less stupid people, the better.
Making a stupid decision does not make one a stupid person. I think what I am trying to accomplish is to prevent you from looking through the key-hole and thinking you've seen the entire room, and it's just not working.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree this might be the biggest tragedy of all.

But he WILL know that he killed his own mother - even if he does not remember her as a person. That's a lot to carry around during your formative years.
Yes, it will give his life an interesting twist that few others will share.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:56 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I shot my mother
but I did not shoot the Wal-Mart clerk oh no oh no

Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My daughter and I have been shopping for one of those purses for her use. The gun compartment is completely separated from the rest of the purse, and the zipper is deliberately hidden in those purses. The child wouldn't have found it if he hadn't seen earlier where it was and how to get to it.
You are SERIOUSLY underestimating the curiosity and manual dexterity of young children. (And no, the zippers are not that well hidden - they can't be and still be reliably found and opened under the adrenaline stress of a real emergency.)

Quote:
If he'd never seen or played with a pistol before, it's unlikely he'd have found the trigger and known to give it hard enough and long enough of a squeeze to make something happen.
Bull. Guns are made to be easy to hold in a firing position. All the kid has to do is pick it up, and the odds are that his hands will soon be in the right position. And in this particular case, the kid's pulling on a holstered gun, which means he's automatically grabbing the stock and not the barrel end.

Now tell your daughter to stop looking at purses for concealed carry and to work out a suitable on-body carry method. The problem with a concealed carry purse, besides its vulnerability to being snatched, is that it's all too easy to forget and treat it like a PURSE rather than a LOADED FIREARM. That small lapse cost this woman her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events