Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Now the child will grow up, and have to deal with
the knowledge for the rest of his life, that he shot and kill his own mother.

Right, but I don't really think he'll be able to feel as terrible as everyone expects. He won't know this woman. He likely will soon have a stepmother or be raised by an aunt or a grandmother. On an intellectual basis he will know he shot his mother, but he will have no memory of the woman who was his mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,732 times
Where on her body was she shot? In the head, or in the chest?

Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Right, but I don't really think he'll be able to feel as terrible as everyone expects. He won't know this woman. He likely will soon have a stepmother or be raised by an aunt or a grandmother. On an intellectual basis he will know he shot his mother, but he will have no memory of the woman who was his mother.
But his siblings likely will.

I think I read that he has some.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
True, but harder to do if you're female, because female fashion isn't as uniform as men's. Most of my pants don't even have any belt loops - so much for using any waistband holster. (And of course an inside-the-waistband holster can't be used with a dress at all.) Women are less likely to routinely wear a jacket indoors, so shoulder holsters don't work as well for us. Ankle holsters? Think of all the women's fashions that leave the lower leg exposed. That pretty much leaves belly bands as the only viable option - but many women are unfamiliar with them, and it isn't easy to find one that fits well and also holds your particular firearm securely.

No wonder so many women resort to off-body carry in a purse! It's the only option that works pretty much all the time, no matter what the woman is wearing. Unfortunately, it has grave disadvantages which not enough women take seriously.

This, in spades. You MUST retain control of that weapon at all times, and also have a very secure place to stow it when you need to enter a location where carry is not legally permitted. It's far more of a hassle than most people realize when they first consider carrying.
Okay, so either wear the appropriate clothing or don't carry.

It's better to wear dorky clothes and be safe than to have your head blown off in your sweet Sunday dress.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I actually feel really sorry for people who feel like they need to be armed all of the time. It sounds like a stressful and miserable way to live. Your odds of being killed by a stranger are so slim--unless you are involved in illegal business or in a violent relationship I cannot see the point.
Moreover, it's childish.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,896 times
I don't begrudge the folks out there who want to legally carry a weapon, concealed or not, so long as they've complied with whatever laws their state has and of course that they carry safely. Most people that comply with the concealed carry laws will be the types of people that carry safely (obviously some exceptions, but in general). As gun owners, neither my SO nor myself have much interest in concealed carry because we don't see a need for it in our lives and it would be far more hassle than it's worth. If I lived or worked in a high crime area I might want to carry, but more likely I would move or get a different job to avoid having to carry. The reality is that in most of modern America, 99.9999% of the time you will never need a gun to keep you safe.

Most of our guns are for hunting, some for target shooting, and the handguns for whatever purpose needed. The second reason, besides the hunting, that we keep the guns and why many gun owners have more guns than they seem to need is that deep down feeling of what if, as in what if there is a earthquake, tornado, riot, etc. and calling 911 does me no good? What if there's a disaster and people come to loot my house while I'm inside? If I have guns and am prepared to use them, the looters will move on to the next house, where average Joe Suburban lives and since Joe doesn't believe in private gun ownership, he gets to watch the looters take his stuff and hope like heck that the looters don't decide to rape his wife and kill his family while they're at it.

Rest assured that I'm no crazy doomsday prepper; looking at me I would be the last person you would expect to be a gun owner. Natural disasters and riots happen in the USA the same as anywhere else in the world. So far I've never been in this situation and I hope I never will be, but if the disaster comes and the police are nowhere to be found, my family will be in a lot better situation than Job Suburban next door because we have guns. This is why most gun owners are of the mind you'll take away my guns only when you pry them "from my cold, dead hands". It's the what if scenario.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Yes indeed! I would make the round-about argument that a properly trained individual leaves the firearm alone/at home/away from them while drinking, though, and never ONCE while drunk was I tempted to do stupid stuff like that. This guy had issues sober, exacerbated while drunk, is my bet.
One of my Drill Instructors in the Army used to say that the most dangerous thing in the world was a Basic Trainee with a loaded weapon, and he would usually add that the only thing worse was a drunk civilian with one. Unfortunately, later in life I found that to be all too true.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,164 times
I don't think the 2 year old will fully, or at all, remember shooting his mother at Wal-Mart. I don't believe he should ever be told. When should he be told? At 6 yrs, 9yrs, around puberty, graduating high school, college? I can just hear it, "Well son, you shot and killed your mom in Wal-Mart when you were 2 yrs. old."

If he suffered problems while growing up, or grew to have an obsession with guns, then by all means deal with it. There is always the problem, I do realize, that some kids (mean kids) will tell him eventually. I think the family should relocate if possible.

One poster mentioned, that guns should be removed from the earth and all guns removed from the U.S. Well, take a look at places where civilians are prevented from owning guns.

I can't understand having a gun without a safety, with children in the home or in stores that many children will be in. If you carry concealed weapons in a purse that a child has access to seeing, that's not very concealed, licensed or not.

Did the Today Show give the reason she was concealed carrying in Wal-Mart?

I believe responsible people who legally own guns don't have them to go out and kill people. Do anti gun people think that is the issue? Or, are they simply parroting some cause. If they are simply overly concerned about gun deaths in general, they should try being concerned about hungry people or something they "can" make a difference in.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't gun owners required to get training in this sort of thing in order to get their license?
getting training and following said training are two different things. She treated the gun with less respect then it deserves, and she paid the price.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I'm sure it's been said...but this is not a case of "stupid people think Americans need guns" or "guns are bad!" when there are so, so many commonsense and common knowledge rules this woman was disregarding. My husband is into guns and I am not. I have dodged having to go to the range for the last few years, though he wants me to...I'm not comfortable with 'em. Has to do with my upbringing. Doesn't mean I can't accept his right to love or own them. But they're not for home defense, they are for recreational hobby shooting, hunting, collecting, etc. Mostly because he worked hard in the military for years and gets to own them because it makes him happy. Fine. They get stored locked up and unloaded.

Anyhow even a noob like me with no comfort and almost no knowledge of guns is aware of how dumb this woman was...

For carrying a loaded gun.
For carrying any gun in an unsecure location (a purse that she is willing to set down in a shopping cart.)
For having a gun that stays loaded when she has kids and they are around it.
For not having awareness and security over it at all times.

The real tragedy here in my opinion is that such an obviously intelligence-impaired human being has already passed on her genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events