Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,386,750 times

Advertisements

Reading between the lines of this, maybe I myself have had ADHD all my life? I quit working in an office, sitting at a desk, in front of a computer, for 8 hours a day. Drove me crazy because I could not MOVE. Found a new line of work which involved PHYSICAL activity instead.

Maybe professional athletes, construction workers, firefighters, police, etc., all have ADHD too? Ask them if they could just sit 8 hours a day. I bet you they would say NO.

Maybe we need to get off the mentality that there is some kind of drug for every member of society. To quote what a nurse once said to me, "What do you mean you take NO MEDS AT ALL?" Something is very, very wrong with an attitude like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 AM

460 posts, read 1,142,926 times
The brains of people with ADHD actually look different: Inside the adult ADHD brain | McGovern Institute for Brain Research at MIT
There are lots of different studies over the past 6 years that show differences on MRIs and fMRIs of people with ADHD and without.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,910,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
AdHD is pure nonsense and starting these poor kids on drugs is silly and harmful to the child.

1. What lots of kids need is more discipline. That is, get out of line, misbehave, etc. and you'll be punished. That's what a spanking was for. That's part of the way to keep a child to behave.

2. Children, with very active bodies and lots of energy, need time to blow it off. What I was in school we have a morning and afternoon 15 minute recess, and a one hour lunch time, all of which was spent outside, playing on the playground, playing kickball, that kind of stuff. And this was in Wisconsin, all winter long. YOu can't expect kids, especially boys with lots of energy to sit in a classroom all day and pay attention. Its unnatural. I really feel sorry for kids today. Recess and play time is also a good remedy for this problem.

Not only all of that () but, as usual, the pharmaceutical companies are the big winners here. No one gets better. They just stay drugged.

ADHD has been the go-to diagnosis for normal behavior for a couple of decades now. Hyperactive kids (do birds fly?) and not paying attention have resulted in kids not only being drugged at home, as the article points out, but also lined up in class to have teachers dispense drugs without a license.

All kids are losing, but the biggest losers are the boys, and that's by design because it's that "boy behavior" that's verboten now. Many schools don't even have recess anymore. Those that do, have a hand-wringing female following them around lest they play cops and robbers or [gasp!!] pull Suzie's pigtails.

Kids are being stifled and stunted in school, and little boys are being turned into wusses, and drugs do it. Yesterday, boys were boys. Today, they're drugged if they act like Tom Sawyer. How sad.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,271,661 times
ADHD isn't about not being sit still.

[url=http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/06/24/9-myths-misconceptions-and-stereotypes-about-adhd/]9 Myths, Misconceptions and Stereotypes about ADHD | World of Psychology[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Reading between the lines of this, maybe I myself have had ADHD all my life? I quit working in an office, sitting at a desk, in front of a computer, for 8 hours a day. Drove me crazy because I could not MOVE. Found a new line of work which involved PHYSICAL activity instead.

Maybe professional athletes, construction workers, firefighters, police, etc., all have ADHD too? Ask them if they could just sit 8 hours a day. I bet you they would say NO.

Maybe we need to get off the mentality that there is some kind of drug for every member of society. To quote what a nurse once said to me, "What do you mean you take NO MEDS AT ALL?" Something is very, very wrong with an attitude like that.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,786,439 times
It's too much junk/processed food being fed to kids. The hormones, chemicals, dies, preservatives, "natural ingredients", fats, sugars, etc, are doing a number on kid's brains. It's a new phenomenon that's come around only in the last generation or so.

Give the little tykes some frosted doughnut cereal and some colored sugar water disguised as juice for breakfast and they are bouncing off the walls 1/2 to lunch. Then it's "This child has ADHD".

Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,589,852 times
Quote:

My very point, well made. In MOST instances there are lifestyle changes that can be made to allow for a non-prescription solution.

I am "hyper" the same way in terms of a job: I love to be "out and about", doing something besides sit. I can, however, sit for hours and read a book or watch a movie. But this is not the essence of an ADHD or ADD diagnosis. It has more to do with concentration and focus, skills which CAN be taught and assimilated through experience.

Our media and culture feeds this "momentary attention span". Everything is fast-paced, brief, and comes on so rapidly that a person would have a hard time grasping the content. Snippets of data, if you will. This is ingrained now in our classroom environments and our workplaces as well. "Hurry up and let's get on to the next thing."

You have to look at the whole situation to better assess a viable intervention for child behaviors: family, school, relationships, physical health, emotional health, diet, etc. Behaviors and ways of thinking can be modified but it takes time and commitment, something for which a pill becomes an easy and profitable substitute.

Did you know that Ritalin is used in nursing homes to subdue the elderly? It is. On older people it works as a tranquilizer. Think of the wonderful benefits that an active exercise and social program could bring into these institutions. Instead, many subdue the populace in order to control the situation of unrest. Hmmm....

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-21-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,860,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
AdHD is pure nonsense and starting these poor kids on drugs is silly and harmful to the child.

1. What lots of kids need is more discipline. That is, get out of line, misbehave, etc. and you'll be punished. That's what a spanking was for. That's part of the way to keep a child to behave.

2. Children, with very active bodies and lots of energy, need time to blow it off. What I was in school we have a morning and afternoon 15 minute recess, and a one hour lunch time, all of which was spent outside, playing on the playground, playing kickball, that kind of stuff. And this was in Wisconsin, all winter long. YOu can't expect kids, especially boys with lots of energy to sit in a classroom all day and pay attention. Its unnatural. I really feel sorry for kids today. Recess and play time is also a good remedy for this problem.
ADHD does exist , it has been study for years.
Some kids are bored or bad apples.
My Family has alot people AHAD or ADD include me.
My brother was worst one because he would not understand that he need to sit down and be quiet at times.
I suffer ADD , sometimes I cannot complete things , I get bored easily and I had trouble with school at times.
Other my brother is fine.
My parent did not put me on meds but my brother did get on meds.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,532,786 times
Quote:
, "What do you mean you take NO MEDS AT ALL?" Something is very, very wrong with an attitude like that.
I agree, and this very question was asked of me when I recently went to get a tetanus shot at an area hospital for a slight injury. I am 67, the father of 2, and grandfather of 6. If today's parents and teachers could see the way that my younger brother and I rough-housed, played on the streets, and wrestled with other kids, they would have locked us in an institution! We were "all boy" and our family was glad to get us outside to keep the ruckus out of the house. We both did fairly well in school, both graduated college, and both made good money during our careers. Oh - and we both were "drug-free kids".

No one has tried to drug my grandkids (or my 2 daughters before them). Thank goodness. The grandkids are 4 boys and 2 girls. I personally pay for the 2 girls to take dance lessons, and 2 of the boys to take Karate, which they love. The other 2 boys are into school sports. As a family, we all believe that lots of exercise and physical activity (including rough) is healthy for kids. They are severely limited in the amount of time spent with TV, computers, and gaming. And me? Don't prescribe any drugs for me...I won't take 'em.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,120,076 times
Default Here we go again...

Ahhh, the first of the year ADHD post. This subject has been hashed,rehashed and then beaten to death. They all do the same thing and end in the same way after several pages of mind numbing nonsense.

Fact: ADHD exists.

Fact: In most cases it's not bad parenting but an actual physiological issue although I will admit that bad parenting can result from ADHD.

Fact: It has been over-diagnosed.

Fact: Sugar has nothing to do with it.

Fact: Allergies to dye in foods or other allergies can exacerbate or trigger ADHD.

Fact: ADHD can hinder ones ability to function in the "normal" world.

Fact: Meds can and do help, if you can stand the side effects or are willing to go through them to find the right one(s) for YOUR body/mind.

So, I think we've now covered it all and this thread can die a quick death.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,386,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I agree, and this very question was asked of me when I recently went to get a tetanus shot at an area hospital for a slight injury. I am 67, the father of 2, and grandfather of 6. If today's parents and teachers could see the way that my younger brother and I rough-housed, played on the streets, and wrestled with other kids, they would have locked us in an institution! We were "all boy" and our family was glad to get us outside to keep the ruckus out of the house. We both did fairly well in school, both graduated college, and both made good money during our careers. Oh - and we both were "drug-free kids".

No one has tried to drug my grandkids (or my 2 daughters before them). Thank goodness. The grandkids are 4 boys and 2 girls. I personally pay for the 2 girls to take dance lessons, and 2 of the boys to take Karate, which they love. The other 2 boys are into school sports. As a family, we all believe that lots of exercise and physical activity (including rough) is healthy for kids. They are severely limited in the amount of time spent with TV, computers, and gaming. And me? Don't prescribe any drugs for me...I won't take 'em.
I worked as a Special Needs Para. Oh, yes, there were little boys with ADHD whose parents refused to give them Ritalin for compliance. I know the general feeling with Admin. was that they did not like NOT giving meds to these kids, but this was a decision for parents to make themselves. It is far easier on staff to have a child given some meds than to have to deal with the extra work unmedicated kids can present.

Worked around it. You cannot have one or two kids totally distrupting the entire class. Time Out. By that I do not mean standing them in a corner. Take them out of class for a time, walk the hallways, or even go on the basketball court and let them RUN. I am tired. Can I go back now? Are you ready to sit and work in the classroom? Yeah. The girls acted differently. They would fidget in their seats. Doodle on a piece of paper when teacher was talking. Things like that. The boys wanted PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.

I know a lot of people would say what I did was rewarding bad behavior, but was drugging them into submission the answer? Oh, no. They did come back and do their work.

One size does not fit all does not work, especially with special needs children. You just have to work with what an individual child needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events