Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times

Advertisements

A stoned meter maid told me buy her a bagel or she would give me a ticket ! That was in Upper Monclair NJ in early 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Terrible reporting by MSN. The lead statement suggests it as fact prior to adding that the claim was made by the governor, who goes on to say that if he could have reversed the popular vote the day after the election he would have done it.

1. That's not democracy, so he needs to have a warm glass of ****.
2. Nothing new since he opposed it from the start.
3. This just in, plenty of southern governors after the civil war would like to have undone the war and still had their slaves.

Nothing newsworthy and MSN shouldn't have given the governor an opportunity to repeat his tired and ignorant position.

I live in Colorado. We haven't had problems from the laws. We have seen violent crime across four major categories go down while employment went up. A new niche industry was created offering real jobs, not the terrible part time minimum wage crap, because there were customers that actually wanted the products.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
It sounded to me like he was saying that being the first state to legalize it created many problems for his government and his job would have been easier if Colorado was not the first state.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Many counties in Colorado have NOT gotten on board with marijuana
It isn't the boon mj proponents like to state...
Low lifes moving in... stoners on the streets... hospitalizations.. use of social welfare ... DUI... the list gets bigger...

Proponents like to tout tax revenues... but behind the scenes the black market economy is thriving... would national legalization help... maybe ... after Phillip morris.. con Agra and Monsanto take over... then potheads can really complain.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Low lifes moving in... stoners on the streets... hospitalizations.. use of social welfare ... DUI... the list gets bigger...
If you have some documentation of this, that would be helpful.

I also don't buy that "Big Tobacco" will ever be a player in the cannabis industry. While they ostensibly have the resources, their presumed target customer base almost uniformly distrusts them.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:43 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Many counties in Colorado have NOT gotten on board with marijuana
It isn't the boon mj proponents like to state...

Proponents like to tout tax revenues... but behind the scenes the black market economy is thriving... would national legalization help... maybe ... after Phillip morris.. con Agra and Monsanto take over... then potheads can really complain.
Completely utterly disagree about hospitalizations. What hospitalizations, for what, where??

I do think there's something to your point about homeless people. I don't consider them "low lifes" but I am seeing more...shall we say...misguided youth, moving in. In states like Florida the young struggle to get even minimum wage jobs. Getting your "foot in the door" for these kids just out of high school is tough. And they hear that there's this golden new land out West where pot is legal, and they think "hey, I like pot" and raise exactly enough money to get here...only to get hit in the face with REALITY once they arrive. People who grew up being told "you can be anything you want! You're an American kid!" are having a bad day, maybe if their Daddy had been around to say, "Son, you're going to learn the family business. Here's how you hammer a nail." then it wouldn't be so rough.

I dunno.

It's a small piece of a big problem with young people in America.

But pot really isn't to blame. Heck, my Mom grew up thinking she wanted to raise cats in California and be a beach bum. That didn't really work out so well for her. The issue goes back a lot further than the question of legal pot does.

I don't think we've got more people driving under the influence.

And I know we've beat the "pot vs alcohol" argument to death in here...but it seems that many people who for whatever reason have trouble dealing with reality sober, they can easily choose one or the other, and not need to do both. Since pot became legal, I've known a number of people who used to have major drinking problems who have turned to weed instead, and now they don't drink. Which means that a discussion of the consequences of each of these things is relavent when you're dealing with people for whom sobriety is not an option. Guess who is much more likely to THINK he's OK to drive? The drunk guy. Guess who's more likely to do anything violent? The drunk guy. Guess who will have more health problems (hospitalizations and social welfare, what?)...the drunk guy.

I don't do either. My only vice is Camel cigarettes, and you bet if I could do it without screaming at my kids I would have quit by now. The hold is so strong that if I even think about quitting I feel panicky and want to smoke immediately. Talk about an awful, addictive substance, with no benefits whatsoever and only harm coming of it...nicotine takes the cake. But my husband is one of those who quit drinking and went over to pot. In the approx. one year that has passed, he still does not have a job, and he doesn't really seem to care...that kind of sucks...but he has lost 45 lbs, his sleep apnea is gone, and his psoriasis has cleared up. It also does wonders for the pain in his back (degenerative disc disease and sciatica.) And perhaps best of all, we can all live with him because he's not acting like a jerk anymore. Overall, I'm calling it a win.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Stoners; the new normal.

It started out as medical marijuana. We read all those posts about people having to "suffer", and people who "could not manage pain any other way".....Remember all that?

It was all a hoax, of course. They just wanted to smoke pot. Nothing medical about it.

They will repeal it, someday.

Meanwhile the rest of the country just rolls their eyes and laughs.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meanwhile the rest of the country just rolls their eyes and laughs.
What country are you talking about?

In the one I live in, legalization passed a popular vote in two states and DC - one of them a solid "red state" - and 58 percent of Florida voted for medical.

Surely we're not talking about the same one here.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,493 times
Great post Sonic!

On the topic of DUI's

NHTSA: Marijuana use may not increase traffic accidents - UPI.com

NHTSA: Marijuana use may not significantly increase traffic accidents

WASHINGTON, Feb. 7 (UPI) -- A new study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicates marijuana use doesn't increase traffic accident risk as much as previously thought.

The study looked at 9,000 drivers over the course of 20 months. It found drivers who regularly use marijuana are 25 percent more likely to be involved in a traffic accident. However, when the researchers factored in age, gender and level of alcohol consumption among marijuana users, they found those factors were more significant than the use of marijuana. Marijuana use did not noticeably impact crash risk once the other factors were added.

"Analyses incorporating adjustments for age, gender, ethnicity, and alcohol concentration level did not show a significant increase in levels of crash risk associated with the presence of drugs," the study reads. "This finding indicates that these other variables (age, gender ethnicity and alcohol use) were highly correlated with drug use and account for much of the increased risk associated with the use of illegal drugs and with THC."

The study indicates that drunk driving is still a major problem, more so than using marijuana, but it also found drunk driving has decreased in recent years.

"These findings highlight the importance of research to better understand how marijuana use affects drivers so states and communities can craft the best safety policies," said Jeff Michael, NHTSA's associate administrator for research and program development.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Let me give you real seat of the pants stats that are sobering ... from Shasta County California

DUI marijuana only up 12 percent from three years ago
DUI alcohol AND marijuana up 50 percent from three years ago ...this is self reported and arrestees may have inot been tested for mj...

Probation crime monitoring of arrestees self reporting 70 plus percent mj use.

Marijuana crime went off the charts here as we became known as one of three California counties in the emerald triangle... which is why this county and a number of others following suit severely curtailed growing...now required to be in a permitted structure with strict mitigation practices.
Sacramento.. Fresno.. other counties also put restrictions in place overwhelmingly voted on by the voters ... despite millions spent by pro dopers

Mj supporters cherry pick stats... overall mj use when unfettered has serious negative implications for every community that has tried it

I can offer stats that dispute life is better with dope...it isnt

Current nhsta stats do not tell the real issue ... roadside testing... let's revisit this in thirty six months and you will see mj DUI skyrocket... saying there isn't an issue when good field testing isn't routine for mj... means any stats a druggie wants to cite is skewed and unreliable... since nhsta stats come from local agencies entering the real story will be told when appropriate testing is available .

Currently if someone is stopped for DUI and alcohol is present human nature takes the easiest path to booking... pas test.. intoxilyzer.. is vastly easier than a blood draw..
Once a reliable vetted pas test is readily available for mj you will see stats rocket

Don't worry... we're working on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events