Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,147,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
I think Michigan might be the only state that bows down to all minorities demands more than California does.
All minority demands? You conservatives crack me up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,265,926 times
There should be more than one mug shot per person. The purpose is to ID the person. With and without hat, scarf, etc. Whatever they were wearing when arrested. And from different angles.

What if your religion required you to wear a halloween mask? What if you were arrested in a sharia country? Would they respect your religion and let you keep the halloween mask on?

They took pictures of Michael Jackson's bare thighs. Religion isn't the only social convention not respected by cops, when they need evidence or ID.

Before we start fighting against cops' rights to ID people, we should start fighting against their right to be careless and arrogant with guns, and go around shooting unarmed people and pets. It's a more important fight.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM

11,823 posts, read 12,072,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
That is just total hogwash! No one should be allowed to drive with their face covered. People are getting VERY irritated with all the double standards allowed in the name of religious rights, and I'm one of them.You want to live in our country, then follow our laws and expect to have the same rights as we have, no more, no less.
A hijab doesn't cover the face, it covers the hair, ears and neck, leaving the face exposed. It's not a burqa.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:22 PM

240 posts, read 253,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
No actually a mug shot should show an unencumbered view of the face, neck, and ears. For facial recognition purposes.

So no hats, skull caps, beanies, turbans, or anything
Exactly. This American system has worked for decades and decades without complaint or question. It's what we do. Now all of a sudden that system is being questioned because a couple of Muslims don't like our system? Give me a break. Deport the whiners back to the middle east. They've only come here to create trouble for us.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,563,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think a mug shot should look like the person looks most of the time.

If a bald man always wears a hat, then he's going to be more recognized if he's shown wearing a hat in a mug shot. Same gown with a guy who hasn't trimmed his beard in 20 years. The cops don't require a bearded man to shave before a mug shot, do they?

So it is with a woman who always covers her hair every time she goes out in public. Why show her hair if it's never going to be seen in public?
I think that's a fair point.

I also think people are confusing Hijabs that cover the hair with Niqabs or Burkas that cover the face.

CBBC Newsround - What's the difference between a hijab, niqab and burka?

I have a real problem with the face covering thing.

The Burkas are especially nasty. When my son came back from Afghanistan, he brought back a Burka. It was blue and had a little mesh for the eyes. I tried it on and it made me feel nauseous. You couldn't see clearly through the mesh and you had very little peripheral vision. It was very claustrophobic.
To me having to wear one of those is like a form of abuse and extreme disrespect.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM

240 posts, read 253,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I think that's a fair point.

I also think people are confusing Hijabs that cover the hair with Niqabs or Burkas that cover the face.

CBBC Newsround - What's the difference between a hijab, niqab and burka?

I have a real problem with the face covering thing.

The Burkas are especially nasty. When my son came back from Afghanistan, he brought back a Burka. It was blue and had a little mesh for the eyes. I tried it on and it made me feel nauseous. You couldn't see clearly through the mesh and you had very little peripheral vision. It was very claustrophobic.
To me having to wear one of those is like a form of abuse and extreme disrespect.
Most of us are smart enough to know a hijab from a burka. We won't give an inch of the hija because we've seen the result of that kindness too many times. Today the headscarf, tomorrow the burka. No thanks!

Take it off or don't get licensed.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,913,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
No actually a mug shot should show an unencumbered view of the face, neck, and ears. For facial recognition purposes.

So no hats, skull caps, beanies, turbans, or anything

Banks and federal buildings are starting to post signs alluding to no head coverings for the very same reason. The cops will show up with cuffs if you want to push it. It is the prerogative of an establishment to post such rules and federal buildings do so to ID people using facial recognition software.
Mug shots are taken sans head coverings to expose hair color, tattoos, scars or other markings and ear shape. Rules are rules. If you don't like them don't participate.
We voted for the legislatures - local, state and federal - which made the rules so we must agree with them.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM

22,518 posts, read 12,068,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

How would you feel if the cops forced you to wear a turban or a Jewish head cap, just for the purposes of a mug shot? I'm pretty sure you would be upset as all get-outs if that happened.
^This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I can say with all certainty that this will never happen. You are really, really reaching here.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,862,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
These people aren't radical; they are islamic. The problem is not radical islam. The problem is islam.
The Natvan/Downtrend whackos have seriously infiltrated this thread. What's the matter, did the SPLC get your usual hate sites shut down again?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,972,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The Natvan/Downtrend whackos have seriously infiltrated this thread. What's the matter, did the SPLC get your usual hate sites shut down again?
It seems like there's a group on here that will take any opportunity they can to hijack a thread into a movement against Islam. From their posts you would think that these Islamic extremists are on the verge of taking over all of the USA . When in reality they barely possess the power to take out a squad of US solder’s on any given occasion. Get over your delusions; they couldn't even take over a city block, much less all of the USA. Oh and FYI Muslims make up less then 1% of the US population so don’t even get started with the “oh they are trying to assimilate our culture into theirs” rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events