Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,922,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13
LOL "You need to leave."
Ya really.......He should have tried all he could to not make the guy madder!! (I supppose that would make too much sense these days)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,496,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I worked at McDonald's and HATED it. Horribly mistreated, such as them asking me to clock out but keep working, taking my break but them getting mad because I took the entire time I clocked out (well duh I got a 30 minute lunch, I'm not going to only take 10 minutes since I am not getting paid), not letting me go when my shift was over (a few times I had somewhere to go and they wouldn't let me go when I was supposed to because of the customers). The end though had to do with an abusive customer who kept calling me names and mean to me. The manager then told me I had to apologize to the customer because I must have done something wrong. I didn't. I then said nope not apologizing and I walked out.
I've heard of other stories on C-D where someone was asked to clock out, then go into the parking lot of the supermarket where he worked to bring in carts. He's not inside the building, so it's not work right? Another employee was asked by his manager to sign a sheet confirming he got his OT. Problem is, he didn't. His manager just wanted to avoid paying that. Last I heard, he's taking the business to court.

At Kmart, they would make me clock out first all the way at the back of the store, THEN order my lunch at the front.

You know a place has a "punch in" system when you see a group of middle aged ladies rushing into the building towards the end of lunch time on a business day.

I thank my lucky stars I don't work for these types of places anymore

Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've heard of other stories on C-D where someone was asked to clock out, then go into the parking lot of the supermarket where he worked to bring in carts. He's not inside the building, so it's not work right? Another employee was asked by his manager to sign a sheet confirming he got his OT. Problem is, he didn't. His manager just wanted to avoid paying that. Last I heard, he's taking the business to court.

At Kmart, they would make me clock out first all the way at the back of the store, THEN order my lunch at the front.

You know a place has a "punch in" system when you see a group of middle aged ladies rushing into the building towards the end of lunch time on a business day.

Yeah Venture (a gone store like Kmart) was the same way. Our timecards were at the back of the store but of course it was possible for a customer to ask for help before you signed in and of course that meant free. Every time I went on lunch they would page me and when I told them they would say "just one question" but it was never a quickie. I hated these places too. I ended up quitting Venture when they wrote me up because I didn't show up for a day of work. However it is more complicated because I asked for the day off a month early, I didn't get it off because someone else wanted it off (it was the Saturday before Halloween 1991). I asked a coworker to cover for me and she ended up in the hospital. The managers knew I got her to cover, knew she was in the hospital and they fired her and wrote me up. I tore up the paper and that felt good.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:32 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,953,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. They would have to take the person to court for damages. File charges for destruction of property assault etc. The payroll check is pay for time worked.
Not true.. It depends on what state you live in....

Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,129,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Not true.. It depends on what state you live in....
If you're talking about just the wages for time worked, then that's a federal law......nothing to do with the state you're in.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,394,450 times
Default Hey, for once

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If I had to tolerate the smell of McDonald's all day long, I'd probably snap, too.
It's usually the customers that go nuts.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,425,721 times
A long, long, long time ago (early 70's) McDonalds was one of my first jobs. I knew from the day I was hired that it wasn't going to be my life work, but it was a job and a paycheck. Unless I decided to go into management, I had no plans to be there for any length of time.

If I remember, believe I stayed about a year and a half. Pay was low, but so was any other entry level job. Working conditions were what we made of it, and to be honest it wasn't bad. Most of the people that worked there were roughly the same age as I was along with a couple of older folks. We all decided if we were going to work there, we would make the place run like a well oiled machine, and we did!

The good part about McDonalds (at least way back in those days) was that they taught their young workers "systems", how to do things, and why we were to do things in a certain fashion. We were taught how to talk to customers, how to fill a bag,how to make a burger, wrap it etc., small things maybe, but important to the success of the company. And without the company, we were out of a job. They were good lessons, even if I didn't recognize it then.

When I go into a McDonalds today, I don't see those systems in place. I don't see the counter kids greeting you with a smile, they don't want to interact with you, they just want you gone. Bags snapped open, food stuffed in with no thought. We are annoying to them, or so it appears. Don't know if this is the fault of the company now, or the attitudes of the workers.

Any job is what you make of it, face it with dread and a poor attitude, you will be miserable. Take a job to learn from it, and you may just be rewarded down the road. McDonalds isn't a multi billion dollar company for no reason- there are a whole lot of fry guys who now own their own stores. A whole bunch of burger flippers that are the boss and doing quite well.

Bottom line, get over your selves. It's not the responsibility of a business, any business to make sure you have a sunny and happy life. That's your job.... lose the poor me attitude, and go make something of your life. Try doing something for the company you work for, make yourself important to them.... you may be surprised!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

I used to work in one of those places. It was asinine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Any job is what you make of it, face it with dread and a poor attitude, you will be miserable. Take a job to learn from it, and you may just be rewarded down the road. McDonalds isn't a multi billion dollar company for no reason- there are a whole lot of fry guys who now own their own stores. A whole bunch of burger flippers that are the boss and doing quite well.

Bottom line, get over your selves. It's not the responsibility of a business, any business to make sure you have a sunny and happy life. That's your job.... lose the poor me attitude, and go make something of your life. Try doing something for the company you work for, make yourself important to them.... you may be surprised!
In a way yes, a job is what you make it similar to life is what you make it. When a company makes excessive, unrelistic demands, it will take a toll. Some companies think micomanagement is the answer when it usually makes the low-level employees miserable. Not everyone is able to quit or have the education to find a better job. I was one of the lucky and bold ones that was able to leave that work environment.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,071,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thing is with these places, and I worked for a fast food place is it sometimes depends on the manager. They can be really good or they can be nuts.
Sounds like every job that has managers, not just fast food.

McDonalds sure gets in the press. This really has little to do with McDonalds and has more to do with on idiot. Plenty of idiots out there.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM

7,085 posts, read 8,985,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
It's usually the customers that go nuts.
Yep, running out of McNuggets can be hazardous, people go nuts over ground up baby chicks mixed with pink slime.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events