Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM

35,282 posts, read 31,638,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Gee, who would have expected a minimum wage employee to not be totally professional and classy ?? I'm shocked !

Don
Not saying the employee should have done it, but he was probably treated like crap and finally lost it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,033,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yeah Venture (a gone store like Kmart) was the same way. Our timecards were at the back of the store but of course it was possible for a customer to ask for help before you signed in and of course that meant free. Every time I went on lunch they would page me and when I told them they would say "just one question" but it was never a quickie. I hated these places too. I ended up quitting Venture when they wrote me up because I didn't show up for a day of work. However it is more complicated because I asked for the day off a month early, I didn't get it off because someone else wanted it off (it was the Saturday before Halloween 1991). I asked a coworker to cover for me and she ended up in the hospital. The managers knew I got her to cover, knew she was in the hospital and they fired her and wrote me up. I tore up the paper and that felt good.

I've worked in retail (Kmart) back in the day, and a smaller local chain in which it was a bit better... but yeah... retail jobs suck!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,927,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I've worked in retail (Kmart) back in the day, and a smaller local chain in which it was a bit better... but yeah... retail jobs suck!
To be fair I also worked at Borders and that was run better. My boss there was amazing so it made it better. At Borders though I didn't like the cliques because they ended up getting more and better hours than me. However we didn't have a time card, our pay started when we walked in and ended when we walked out. I usually worked overnight which was pretty decent.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 AM

6,024 posts, read 15,391,122 times
Hmm, interesting turn of events:

McDonald’s Manager Fired After Teen’s Viral Meltdown « CBS Minnesota

Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 AM

126 posts, read 201,568 times
^^^ I hate to say this but that was dirty and F'd up on how they treated the manager! What was he supposed to do? I think he handled the situation very well. Even he said that he couldn't put his hands lest he get in trouble himself. This is one of the reasons why the world is jacked up as it is. doing the right thing gives you bad consequences. WTF!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,033,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
To be fair I also worked at Borders and that was run better. My boss there was amazing so it made it better. At Borders though I didn't like the cliques because they ended up getting more and better hours than me. However we didn't have a time card, our pay started when we walked in and ended when we walked out. I usually worked overnight which was pretty decent.

The other retail place I went to was a small local chain in which I was head of shipping and receiving. Crappy pay, but as time went on they were heaping more responsibilities on me, and it appeared they were grooming me towards being in management. For the most part it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I had to quit, because I had recently gotten engaged, and therefore needed more money due to planning a wedding. That was when I got into a more professional environment, and was working for a bank (not a branch) but handling collections and recovery of defaulted loans, secured and unsecured. At any rate, I had left on good terms, and in addition to me working full time for the bank, DJing on Friday and Saturday nights, they let me come back on Wednesday nights and Thursday nights to help with stocking, as Wednesday was their big truck day! They did so knowing that it was only temporary and for a couple of months. But, I left on such good terms they were thrilled to have the extra help. Not to mention, prior to me leaving I set up the guy taking my place so that he knew exactly how to run things.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:39 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,158,438 times
They shouldn't have fired the manager, but he will get unemployment now at least. Hopefully find more employment, too.

McD's corporate had to do something - for PR purposes if nothing else, and as mentioned - the employee is a minor so suing him would be a PR nightmare. That leaves the manager as the only safe person to target. Note the word used is "safe" not "appropriate" or "correct". Working for a corporation this sort of thing happens. They don't have any of their worker's welfare at heart. Although, working for a family - unless you're part of the family - doesn't really have your welfare at heart, either.

Just one more reason why McD's is probably going to replace a lot of staff with robots, no doubt.

The only way to have a good workplace and be treated properly is to have your own business.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:46 PM

35,851 posts, read 21,250,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I couldn't see the video for some reason,

but based on what I have read, I can't believe these low class fast food workers expect to get paid for working such a crappy job. Low wage workers are today's slaves. Shut yer yap and work. If you get a couple hundred bucks a week, thank your God because its more than you deserve.

lower your nose--- everybody reserves to be treated with dignity and respect something the American people have completely forgotten about.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

100 posts, read 82,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
lower your nose--- everybody reserves to be treated with dignity and respect something the American people have completely forgotten about.
This. I'm not endorsing what this person this did, but the snotty attitude of the people bashing low wage workers in this thread really surprises me. I wonder how long you people would last without the minimum wage man to step on and do the daily tasks that you take for granted in your world. Stock boy at the grocery store making minimum wage puts your groceries on the shelves that you buy. The minimum wage janitor and maintenance keeps your work place clean and functioning at night.

Learn some respect.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM

11,428 posts, read 9,359,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
^^^ I hate to say this but that was dirty and F'd up on how they treated the manager! What was he supposed to do? I think he handled the situation very well. Even he said that he couldn't put his hands lest he get in trouble himself. This is one of the reasons why the world is jacked up as it is. doing the right thing gives you bad consequences. WTF!
Call police, tell customers the store is closed, and lock the door. He was slow to react to this emergency. Telling the employee to just "leave" was the wrong thing to say.

But I do not think he should have lost his job. That was a surprise. Dumb on the manager's part to even bring up he couldn't put his hands on him. Stating the obvious was not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events