Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Or are you just a hypocrite with a double standard?
Do you know what a rhetorical question is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
It is different because the man with the gun WAS NOT AN OFFICER.
No, it's not at all different, as it's the right to defend myself/yourself, not the right to have an officer defend myself/yourself.

See also - VIDEO: Gun-toting north Mpls argues with black man - KMSP-TV

Quote:
An MPD spokesman sent us the following statement about the incident:

On February 8, 2015 at approximately 5:45 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the area of the 3600 block of Sheridan Avenue North. Officers responded to a report where both parties involved called 911.

Officers arrived and spoke with both parties involved. At that time, neither party was interested in making a report.

Officers mediated the dispute, believing that no crime had occurred, based on the information they had at that time.

As with any call, a report may be taken, or charges levied at a later date/time if further information is brought forward to the police department.

Today I called and spoke with [Demetrius], who took the video. [Demetrius] decided that he now wished to make a report, and will do so later tonight.
With as much as Demetrius made a phone on the video about the guy having pulled a gun on him, I don't believe for a second that he just forgot to mention it to the police. He also declined to file a report at the scene, and I suspect that after seeing the traction it has gotten online (or the reporter somehow convinced him to do so), he now sees it as an opportunity to benefit in some and thus has decided to file a report after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak
Why has no one asked why the man with the gun didn't just call the police if he had actually witnessed criminal or suspicious activity as he claimed, instead of playing cop?
See again in the above linked news article...

Quote:
On February 8, 2015 at approximately 5:45 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the area of the 3600 block of Sheridan Avenue North. Officers responded to a report where both parties involved called 911.
"BOTH parties callled 911". We don't need to ask why he didn't call police because he actually DID call the police, and then he was approached in a hostile manner by Demetrius.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
No, it's not at all different, as it's the right to defend myself/yourself, not the right to have an officer defend myself/yourself.

See also - VIDEO: Gun-toting north Mpls argues with black man - KMSP-TV

With as much as Demetrius made a phone on the video about the guy having pulled a gun on him, I don't believe for a second that he just forgot to mention it to the police. He also declined to file a report at the scene, and I suspect that after seeing the traction it has gotten online (or the reporter somehow convinced him to do so), he now sees it as an opportunity to benefit in some and thus has decided to file a report after the fact.

See again in the above linked news article...

"BOTH parties callled 911". We don't need to ask why he didn't call police because he actually DID call the police, and then he was approached in a hostile manner by Demetrius.
The article I read made it sound like they both called AFTER the confrontation, I didn't see anything indicating the neighbor called police before Demetrius came over. What I read is he was standing there filming Demetrius in the car, when he noticed he (understandably IMO) went over to ask what the heck he was being filmed for; while he was approaching, the gun was pulled. If the man had just stayed inside and called the police none of this would have happened, but he had to play George Zimmerman stupid detective games which any police officer would tell you they do NOT want people to do and just causes more issues for the police to have to deal with, as was the case here.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:04 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Weren't you the one who posted in another thread that because some black people use the N word toward each other it meant all black people had lost the right to be offended when white people use it against them?

I told you before. I'm white. I call my white friends crackers sometimes. None of them get offended. They call me a cracker sometimes and I don't get offended. We all think it's hilarious.

By your own logic this means every white person has lost the right to be offended when a black person calls them a cracker.

Or are you just a hypocrite with a double standard?
I will address your various points.
  • I think everyone has the "right" to use the N-word. It's a first amendment issue. What I said is that it's hypocritical for Blacks who use the N-word to call Whites racist when they use it. Next time try reading what I post.
  • Your high opinions of yourself are irrelevant and uninteresting. If you told me this stuff in the past, I don't remember it.
  • I don't think I've ever met a White person who is offended by the use of the word "cracker'. They are more bemused by the use of such words by people who cry racist at every turn. Your personal anecdote only proves this. i.e. Non sequitur.
This topic isn't about you or I. I'd rather hear what you have to say about the OP's topic which, BTW, I notice you have yet to address.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 02-14-2015 at 03:37 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 03:15 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post

I saw the guy draw the weapon, and keep it pointed towards the ground, seemingly to let Demetrius be aware that he had it, and was prepared to use it if the situation escalated. I did not see the guy ever point it directly at Demetrius as if he intended to shoot him.
Yes indeed. If Demetrius had walked onto that property, then the homeowner, in any state with a SYG law would be within his rights to shoot him on the spot. I commend him for handing the situation as best as the idiot confronting allowed. Proof enough that carrying a gun for defense works. Who knows what Demetrius would have done if he had been unarmed.

Too bad that Demetrius knowing that this man has a gun decides to confront him anyway instead of walking away and simply calling the police. It's obvious he was trying to make this a racial event in a place where he doesn't even live.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Wow. That guy has a loose grip on reality. Dangerous.
I think they both have a screw loose, lol.

I can think of a hundred things Id rather do today than go video my neighbor, and all the annoying things that neighbor does to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events