Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,735,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why on earth ANYONE would point a gun at a policeman, and expect to live, is beyond me.
10 whole posts before the old man effectively gets blamed for an egregious error on the part of the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 AM

240 posts, read 253,401 times
With gun ownership comes responsibility. Don't play Rambo of the Neighborhood. Don't lurk around outside in the dark with a gun in your hand, with burglar alarms going off, knowing that everyone's nerves are already heightened, knowing that the police will surely respond to investigate every movement and shadow. You'll only find trouble.
No, I'm not blaming the victim. But I also won't blame the cops.

We can argue till doomsday about whether this man was right or wrong to do what he did. The fact is cops are a phone call away. Had the man stayed in his house, locked the door and waited for the police to do what we pay them to do, he'd be alive.

Do not point a gun at a police officer, not even a toy one that's "only plastic", and expect the officer to stand there and absorb the first bullet. Life doesn't work that way.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 AM

17,712 posts, read 15,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Personally if the neighbor's home burglar alarm goes off I would NOT be wandering around their house in the dark, especially with a handgun in my hand, trying to figure out what's going on. That IS what police are for and any of you that know me know that I am NOT a big government person. And YES, if the police are dispatched to an incident, they DO have the right to be there. That's just nonsense to think that they can't. Don't ever point a firearm at the police unless you expect to be shot. Think about it. If YOU were a police officer or even military person would YOU allow someone to point a gun at you if you did not know what their intentions were? Still this is very tragic that the homeowner was shot.
He wasn't wandering around their house.. He went from HIS front door to HIS garage is the way I read it.

If he was not on HIS property.. This conversation would be over.

The incident was not at the victims' house. The incident was at a neighbor.. Which, I have seen no indication of where that neighbor was.. Was it a next door neighbor? Across the street? So, if there's an incident 5 houses up.. Where's the line here? Simply having a gun does not make you a suspect.

There's a video on the link that I provided.. Certainly doesn't look like there were any blue lights flashing in it.

I totally agree that there were mistakes on both sides. However, the part that gives me any pause on this is that the police shot a man on his own property, quite possibly, inside his own home. Pending on what the layout is here.. If it's an attached garage or not.. If this guy had walked to the curb with the weapon around.. I'm much more firmly on the side of the police. The fact that this happened in his garage.. If it was a detached garage.. What stopped the police from falling back and keeping him contained there? If it was attached.. Then I can see concern that the person might have gone into the house where you could have hostages.

But, then there's another part where you see that the guy is in his 70's.. That should enter the thought process of the police as well.

This was not a "Good shoot".. There's problems with it. And there should be consequences.. I don't think the cop is guilty of murder.. But.. He shouldn't be a cop anymore.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,161,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
As we get tired of police haters who post up biased articles....

Grand jury not good enough for you..hunh?
In NY there looking at legislation to reform the Grand Jury. Because no, its not working when it comes to prosecuting Police.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,842,572 times
Here we go another hater thread bent on misrepresenting the facts. Boring. Yawn. Bottom line: Don't take the law into your own hands by trying to play hero, and don't point a gun at a police officer.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Here we go another hater thread bent on misrepresenting the facts. Boring. Yawn. Bottom line: Don't take the law into your own hands by trying to play hero, and don't point a gun at a police officer.
Somebody died here. How about you show some respect.

The only hater here is you. You obviously don't care about people. Keep your hate to yourself.

That could have been your grandpa.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 AM

78,848 posts, read 61,050,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Officer cleared after going to wrong address, shooting innocent grandpa in his garage - Police State USA

This article and event makes me want to puke! More murderers set free to prey on innocent Americans. The comments are hopeful though. People are getting sick and tired of these cowardly bully gangsters.
"Policestateusa"?

Seriously?

And you bit hook line and sinker?

Well, you seem to be a really intelligent and honest person.
Could I get your help in recovering 20million from my bank account in Nigeria? I will give you half!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
"Policestateusa"?

Seriously?

And you bit hook line and sinker?

Well, you seem to be a really intelligent and honest person.
Could I get your help in recovering 20million from my bank account in Nigeria? I will give you half!
If you would've read through the thread there's actually someone here who's from the area.

There's also other sources for links if you search.

If we start focusing on credibility of news outlets we might not have any credible sources left to use.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,316,894 times
One thing I am taking from this incident is at least the grand jury is consistent with it's no bill finding. The brown and Garner incidents led to a ground swell of racism and protests that black lives matter, and in both of those incidents both parties were either being placed under arrest or questioned about a crime that had been committed, and we all know the grand Jury's out come.

In this instance the elderly white home owner standing in his garage with his legally owned gun is killed by the Police who had no business being on his property and the grand jury still no billed it. If the victim was black forget about it. Racism, civil rights violated, shot because he is black, black lives matter, protests, riots blah blah blah blah bullcrap. But because the guy was white not a peep from no one. In fact I had not heard about this incident until I read the thread on CD yesterday.

I don't agree with this grand jury decision, but I agreed with the Garner and Brown decision, so I guess I and anyone else feels the same way must be racist.

I would also like to add one more thing......going by what the cop said that he picked his gun back up and went berserk......I kind of find that hard to believe. Do we know for sure he pointed the gun at the cop? No we don't. We only have the rookie cop's story and I think he screwed up and lied to cover up his tracks with the help from his partner. Another reason body cameras should be used and homeowners should have cameras on their property as well. It's sad what the world has come to but this is the world we live in now. You can't trust anyone. The world is full of **** and everyone is out for themselves so they can save their own ass.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,284,222 times
[quote=Old Gringo;38496201]From the OP's link:

We had a very similar incident here about 15 years ago. SWAT team goes to the wrong address, even though the correct address was on the no-knock warrant. They roughed up a young couple and their two small children for hours, while the criminals at the stash house the next street over packed up all their drugs and got away free.

I just don't understand what's so hard about getting the address right. Especially now with GPS equipment in the cruisers.

How can something so obvious and basic be screwed up so horribly?[/QUO

Maybe he was smoking something before hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events