Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM

399 posts, read 685,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That is another thing that merits its own discussion.

There always seemed to be a natural enmity from those in combat MOS' towards non combat types. Especially the infantry, who view all non infantry types as pogues and REMF. There was even a new derogatory term coined during the war in Iraq, "Fobbits," directed at those who stay behind the wire in relative safety.

Very immature and disrespectful. How can we give them respect if they can't return it? Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM

399 posts, read 685,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So basically you are saying that his feelings count for nothing and he should just accept being approached by strangers as part and parcel of what he signed up for?

Too bad if he doesn't like it, right?

How dare he deprive you of the experience of making yourself feel better.

How presumptuios of you. I haven't thanked any veterans in my life.

And how presumptious of you to assume people say thanks to make themselves feel better. Maybe they are actually appreciative of the action and truly thankful.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,747 times
when someone says thank you to a vet it puts the thanker above the vet because what was the person doing the thanking doing when that vet was doing his service to the country. Its like saying thank you for fighting because then I didn't have to do any fighting. Thank you for saving the country so I can live a good life. The answer should be go do your duty like I did and don't thank me for doing your duty for you.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Which I would do. Nobody even knows they served until they advertise it.
Sheeze, that's not even true at ALL.

Many are still in uniform - that's not advertising. As for my kids who served, my friends know it - not from THEM, but because they know how I have worried about them -and my friends and family are always glad to see them come home.

There's a group here who makes a big point to do a big airport welcome for all returning veterans. Not sure how they find out when they're coming in but word gets out. My kids asked that this NOT be done for them - neither of them are center stage sorts and didn't want the hoopla. Sometimes the media even shows up - and it can be embarrassing for the veteran.

Most veterans I know definitely do not advertise their status - except for a few older guys who may wear their Vietnam Veteran baseball cap or something like that. My dad does it because it gets him a ten percent discount at Lowes! LOL

Old 02-22-2015, 06:20 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bingo! This is EXACTLY what my combat veteran kids and their spouses have told me. It's an awkward moment for them - every time. They really dislike it - because no matter what they say, it feels small and silly.

What they WANT to say, no one wants to hear - "Yeah, it was the worst time of my life and I lost some really good friends - hey, wanna know something interesting? I have no fingerprints because I burned them off trying to get the door to the jeep open when my platoon leader's jeep got struck by a missile - but it was wasted effort anyway because when I did finally get the door open I realized most of his head was gone and he died in my arms, and I've always felt like the bottom half of his head was trying to tell me something because his lips were still moving. Oh - am I upsetting you? Yeah...it sucked for me too and now he comes and sits in my room sometimes in my dreams and asks me what I've done to deserve living while he's dead and in the grave. But hey - you're welcome! Glad to do it! It was nothing! Thank YOU for your support!"
I kind of wish he WOULD say that. People badly need to hear that perspective.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I think most folks are intelligent enough to realize that is the combat perspective. I mean we have been inundated with personal combat accounts on certain cable tv docus and internet sites for years now.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:57 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think most folks are intelligent enough to realize that is the combat perspective. I mean we have been inundated with personal combat accounts on certain cable tv docus and internet sites for years now.
Until you meet someone who has gone through something like that it can be very abstract and the idea of what goes on in combat can be very distant if you never meet anyone who has actually survived it.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Some people just do not want the attention, Vets included.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 PM

450 posts, read 507,636 times
I come from a military family here's the short and sweet...

1. My dad enlisted in the marines when he was under-age. Got accepted and was wounded at Iwo Jima. Came home, married my mom and they had ten of us kids.
2. My oldest brother enlisted in the marines and went to Nam working with a medevac crew. (Scary stories I don't wish to share). He came home with severe PTSD and died before he reached age 60.
3. My next older brother also went to Nam. He still feels guilty because he never saw combat. So he went to Iraq as a contractor to help re-build the electrical grid, which he claims was a waste of time because they kept blowing it up.
4. A guy I knew and worked with years ago was also in Nam. He told a story about a young girl his troop grabbed and "used" until she was dead. He claimed he didn't take part, but knew it was happening. (Sick).
5. My youngest brother served as a marine in Dessert Storm.

Yes. I thank veterans for their service. If they can't handle a "thank you", then they have no business in the service.

Last edited by JWEvergreen; 02-22-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 08:46 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
I think the best thing is to ask vets if they know of the one of the most famous leaders, USMC General Smedley Butler. If they do, ask if they feel the same way after their 'service'. If they don't - tell them they should look up what he wrote.

War Is a Racket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every service person I've known from Dad in WW2 (and his contemporaries) to those in Vietnam to Desert Storm don't expect nor want "thank you", they just felt they did their duty and want to be left to move on with their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events