Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 AM

495 posts, read 684,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are making excuses or making things up entirely and at mcdonalds you too can choose your health or should I say unhealthy level. A quarter pounder with cheese, small fries and a diet coke come in at 740 cal

I can split my chipotle meal into two as well but I don't. Again if you want to pay 50% more for your aledged healthier food that's fine but overpriced and unhealth are overused slights against mcd
I have no idea what chipotle you guys are going to but the one I go to gives me a massive burrito. It crushes any mcdonalds value meal in terms of food volume not to mention taste and quality. A big mac is actually a rather small burger and large fry is much smaller than it used to be in the late 90s. I would say my chipotle burrito is almost twice the size(food volume) of most mac burgers and fries.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
You could not pay me to eat at McD's

Old 04-02-2015, 05:44 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I think that they are WAY overpriced. Why pay $7.00 for a fast food meal if you can go to someplace healthy and have a waiter-served meal for about $10.00? I also prefer char-broiled burgers, like Carl's Jr. (and I just like Carl Jr.'s menu better, in general.)

Also, any business advertising in Spanish in the U.S. is a major turn-off for me, and McDonald's does a LOT of that.
Please keep that in mind when they protest low wages. Can't have it both ways. To pay higher wages, meals will go up in price. If no one wants to pay higher prices, higher paid employees will become unemployed former employees.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I have not been ordered food from McDonald's in some time, but with all this talk about McDonald's being overly priced, last night I actually went into McDonald's to see for myself. I was able to purchase two double cheeseburgers, french fries and a giant ice tea for a little over $4.00, while a similar meal at Five Guys would take well over $13.00 out of my pocket, so by this standard I'm a bit confused as to why people feel McDonald's is suddenly so expensive.

2 double cheeseburgers compared to Five Guys, you're talking about the difference between a slider and a cheeseburger. 3.2 ounces of ground beef in two McDonald's double cheeseburgers versus 6.4 ounces of ground beef in two Five Guys double cheeseburgers, you're literally getting twice the meat with the Five Guys double cheeseburger and its all fresh, not freshly frozen. If you don't think that makes a big difference to people, then you haven't been paying attention as to why chains like In N Out and Five Guys are thriving while McDonalds is struggling at the same time. They are trying to outdo themselves by putting too many things on the menu while falling behind in what made them popular in the first place.

Last edited by Juram; 04-02-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 04:27 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yes and it is a problem causing less people to go. For example when Burger king went from the $0.99 Whopper to the $0.99 Whopper Jr everybody knew they were getting less bang for the buck. It is not good to say you got a thin patty hamburger with a slice of pickle a dab of mustard and ketchup at Mickey D when they have been pushing a quarter pounder for two generations as their basic product. The pricing point changed and the corporation is paying the price for it
The $1 McDouble is TWO meat patties. It's not what I would call a tiny burger. From a calorie perspective, it's nearly 400 calories - if you combine with a small fry and large soda, you're at nearly 1000 calories. That should be more than enough for most people that aren't obese.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 04-02-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 04:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
Or you could go to applebees on Monday night when they have any burger meal on the menu for 5.99$. They have a giant southwestern burger that's better than anything mc crappys has, and you can get those fabulous garlic mashed potatos with it for 5.99. The same price as a small big mac meal.
The problem with that is that I never really plan out meals for days of the week. And even doing that you're looking at $5.99 + $2.50 (drink) + $3+ (tip) + $1 (tax) = $12.50. If I were to go with my GF, I'm looking at $25+. Of course I could get it to go, but it would still only work 1 day and isn't exactly fast.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The $1 McDouble is TWO meat patties. It's not what I would call a tiny burger. From a calorie perspective, it's nearly 400 calories - if you combine with a small fry and large soda, you're at nearly 1000 calories. That should be more than enough for most people that aren't obese.

Not a fan of comments like this at all. Nobody should try to make themselves the arbiter of what is "enough" or what is right for any one person. I weigh 220 pounds, am in pretty good shape and eat around 4,000 calories daily. I eat fast food very sparingly and when I want a burger, I want A BURGER. I could care less how many calories are in it since I'm looking at it as a cheat meal anyways. I want something that is going to satisfy me overall. If I'm going to eat 1,000 calories, I want to eat something I'm going to freaking love.

I think what the numbers in the decline of McDonald's show is that while the prices may still be lower than other places, the value just isn't there any more. In terms of quality, in terms of freshness, in terms of the portions being made available, people are voting with their feet and their wallets and that is why you see other chains with strong sales numbers while McDonald's is struggling. Yeah, they are cheaper, but more and more in America you see people putting a premium on quality, people will pay more for what they see as a better value, plus with the Food Network and all these cooking shows, you have a growing "foody culture" where taste and freshness are becoming far more important to consumers.

Millenials especially put less emphasis on price and more emphasis on the value that they get for their money. Cheaper isn't necessarily better and the super cheapo fast food places aren't cheap enough anymore to scale the gap in quality and freshness anymore.

Quote:
Regarding some of the problems McDonald’s faces, the survey showed that consumers were looking for better service, something an increasingly complicated McDonald’s menu has made increasingly problematic. When brands try to be all things to all consumers, you can do that, but something always suffers. In this case, it’s service delivery. This is something that McDonald’s has acknowledged in the past, but has not addressed. The survey also raised issues regarding food quality. Fast food was regarded as “edible” but not much more than that. In the U.S., McDonald's once-reliable base of younger customers have defected to fast-casual chains because consumers deemed fast casual tastier and healthier with offerings “of higher quality” and ingredients that were more “trustworthy,” and more customizable than fast food.

McDonalds Sales Struggle Continues with November Slide - QSR magazine

Quote:

Fast-casual restaurants, including others such as Five Guys and Corner Bakery Cafe, mix of fresher ingredients and custom ordering with the convenience of fast-food. These types of outlets have multiplied over the past decade from 9,000 to more than 21,000 as McDonald’s locations have hovered around 14,000, Technomic said.
McDonald's struggles to stay relevant with millennials - Fortune

Quote:

Last month, Consumer Reports magazine said that in a survey of more than 32,000 subscribers, readers rated McDonald's burgers as the worst-tasting of 20 rival burger chains.
McDonald's Faces 'Millennial' Challenge - WSJ

Quote:
The magazine cited the preferences of younger consumers as a main factor. "Diners, especially younger adults in the millennial generation, may be more willing to go out of their way to get a tasty meal," Consumer Reports said.

Allegations that one of McDonald's main meat suppliers in China was allegedly selling expired meat certainly don't help their situation any either. Or all the criticism about McDonald's using ammonium hydroxide in producing their patties in recent years. I don't buy the whole angle that people want to eat healthier, I do think that younger people especially want to eat more wholesome, they want real food and not a chemically tinged mess that is frozen and then reheated using a microwave.

Last edited by Juram; 04-02-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,868 times
McDonald's used to pride themselves on consistency. It might be uninspiring food but it would taste exactly the same no matter which store you went to. This no longer seems to be the case -- and for the worse, not for the better. There doesn't seem to be rigid compliance with corporate standards by franchisees anymore.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
McDonald's used to pride themselves on consistency. It might be uninspiring food but it would taste exactly the same no matter which store you went to. This no longer seems to be the case -- and for the worse, not for the better. There doesn't seem to be rigid compliance with corporate standards by franchisees anymore.

I think they might do well by opening up a second chain of restaurants, more fast casual dining, going right at the Five Guys, Smashburger segment, focus on quality first and foremost, a limited menu, just make damn good burgers and fries, maybe some shakes and that is all. With their financial wherewithal, if anyone could pull it off, I think McDonald's could, meanwhile keep the flagship restaurants targeted towards those looking primarily at price and go from there.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:45 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I only eat four items at McDs- Egg McMuffin, Sausage McMuffin without egg, Filet-o-Fish, and fries.

The cheapest item is Sausage McMuffin without egg- $1.73
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events