Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The problem is that there is absolutely no evidence to link him to terrorism other than people's weird paranoia. There's nothing whatsoever in his background that has emerged that would make him even slightly fit the expected profile. There is no history of association with extremists or extremist groups, not even a third or fourth degree connection. There was no history of activism, nothing that he posted online, no distribution of propaganda, no fixation or fault put on certain targets, there's absolutely nothing to slightly justify a suspicion of terrorism.

This was just a disturbed guy, struggling with internal demons, seeing multiple psychiatrists, on all sorts of different pharmaceuticals and its not all too difficult to believe that given the opportunity to have a clean death, to end his life without any pain associated, that he took that chance.

Terrorism exists to fulfill a political, religious or ideological goal. An anonymous terrorist that doesn't make a specific point or leave a reasoning behind for his actions is as useful to their cause as an $11 dollar bill. The goal is to build fear, so either Lubitz is the most incompetent and modest terrorist that we've ever seen, or quite simply his actions had no point to them, no real motive other than a deranged mind that just simply wanted to make it all end.

If you want to find someone that fits the profile of a terrorist, look at the Alphabet Bomber, Muharem Kurbegovic and contrast that with everything that is known about Lubitz.
why does it bother you so much what I believe?
the information you have is all from the press, and what they've been told.....while it is a far cry, it is to me, worth considering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
This was just a disturbed guy, struggling with internal demons...

...his actions had no point to them, no real motive other than a deranged mind that just simply wanted to make it all end.
This is also what I believe, and in some ways that makes it all the more terrible.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:24 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Except investigators haven't even confirmed that his supposed vision loss was real and it has been said that they are investigating the possibility that it was simply psychosomatic. He was reportedly "doctor shopping" and the majority of the visits were to psychiatrists, he was complaining about issues with depression and sleep loss.
Yes, but HE believed he was losing his vision, it doesn't matter if it was real or not. They do know though that it wasn't due to making a religious/political statement, which is what I was disputing.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I don't have any phobia of flying, but wow...

Seeing this can easily make someone become scared of flying.

People argue that you could die just as easily in a car, but at least in that scenario, you'd be driving, so you would maintain all control. When it comes to a plane, you're relying on the pilot and co-pilot to take you to your destination safely. The co-pilot was mentally ill, and this is what happened.
I feel the same but for different reasons. In a car crash you don't have 8 minutes to know you're going to die, it's instantaneous. That to me is the worst part of this, they knew what was happening. There were two babies on that plane, imagine what their parents were going through holding them and knowing they couldn't do a thing to protect them...that's not the case in a car accident. That part, the terror, is the part that scares me most, even more so than death. 8 minutes or even 2 minutes, is interminably long to go through something like that.

My fear is copycats, that it becomes the newest "trend", like school shootings. Before Columbine it was unheard of, after Columbine, they started happening all over. I really never liked flying, now I have one more thing to be paranoid about.

I feel sorry for pilots, as they are probably being scrupulously studied by passengers as they board now. Before I would say hello and smile, now I'm also going to be looking for signs of madness in their eyes.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:54 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I think this guy had more issues than just depression. What he did puts him in the category of a sociopath in my opinion. He had no empathy, or sympathy/feelings for anyone other than himself. He was depressed over the fact that his mental illness was going to ground him and prevent him from fulfilling his dreams, and decided to end it all. Understandable perhaps, but he could just as easily rented a small private plane, and gone up for one last flight before flying it into the ground. He didn't have to take 149 other innocent people with him when he made his exit. There was something else going on in his head. If you believe in the concept of evil, no doubt this guy would qualify.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Report: Germanwings crash co-pilot tried descent previously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events