Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So Terry and Darcy would be fine and the baker could not refuse to put that on the cake unless he of course knew that they were both females or both males?
is this a sentence, a haiku? i'm not exactly sure

Quote:
I fail to see
not surprised, per above

Quote:
Guess the safest way to handle this if you are getting married is to try to buy your cake out of state.
yeah, I guess. . .wait a minute, why?easiest thing is to just buy a cake from a place that proclaims it doesn't discriminate and drive those discriminatory places out of business.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If your door is open to the public you need to serve the public.

The solution is to post a sign at the door that reads "By appointment only".

Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because they're hypocrites. They only single out gay couples. They sell wedding cakes to atheists, agnostics, people whose religion they disagree with, etc.

If you open a business to the public, you can't pick and choose, other than something like belligerent customers.
Will you and others stop the nonsense of 'If you open a business to the public, you can't pick and choose, other than something like belligerent customers.'

The fact is, a business can pick and choose Unless the law inhibits that right. I can discriminate if you're driving a Hummer or Prius, or wear a Clinton or Bush button, or wear a hoodie or fur coat, and in most states because you're straight or gay.

The blitz against this law and others like it is the successor to ssm. SSM is now up to the SC. The next gay rights issue is discrimination in public accommodations and employment, and the propaganda machine is up and running.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If your door is open to the public you need to serve the public.
No true. Go info an Apple store wearing a shirt that says Samsung rules and see how long you're permitted to remain there. It is free speech but that right doesn't extend to inside of a store. There are women only gyms. There are all kinds of discrimination. You're confusing public and privately owned places. My store my rules. A business can also prohibit a lot of things that are rights in public places but once you enter a store tough luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
This is good news for Somali cab-drivers! I suppose they'll all be moving to the shining beacon of religious freedom that is Indiana, now that totalitarian liberal Minnesota is infringing on their sincere religious belief that it is haram to carry passengers with dogs and/or alcohol.

Minnesota's Muslim cab drivers face crackdown | Reuters

Allahu akbar!!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:44 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The same God who gave the 10 Commandments also ordered parents to murder their disobedient children. Not very much space between the Bible passages, either.

So religious freedom does not trump an action against you, such as murder. OK. What is discrimination? An inaction?

I guess it goes back to the Christian idea of hate the sin love the sinner. It is not the gay people the cake makers are against it is being involved with their marriage the act of which they believe is wrong. Those same gay people who want to buy a cake for a birthday party would be more then welcome. That is the point I want to make.

It is very likely a Christian bakery would be turning down any other type of cake they also considered sinful not just gay marriage.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-27-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I wasn't trying to distract just trying to understand what is acceptable and what is not legally.

I do see your point but in this case many Christians will point to passages in the bible that they say forbids them from accepting the marriage of a gay couple so there is a religious freedom issue. There is no such feeling over interracial but let us not forget that interracial marriage used to be illegal in many states so that makes it complicated too. I do not think there is any mention in the bible of interracial relationships being wrong in fact I know of one famous bible couple that was interracial King Solomon and the queen of Sheba.

PS if the gay rights people are going to take over this thread and attempt to intimidate and insult everyone like they sometimes do I will be out of here , but if they want to have a calm discussion I will talk about it more. Lets see how it goes. I never said I was against gay couples but I do not liked hijacked attack threads of any kind.I like to be treated decently.

it all depends on which version of the bible you want to use. old testament? he/she/it hates women, and is ok with essentially slavery.

but hey, its not like Christianity hasn't committed the most murders/genocides in the world compared to other religions. even the Nazis cant compare to Christianity in terms of murder/genocides.

truth is, evil hides behind a cause and in many cases its religion. the bible says love your neighbor, don't cheat and yet so many do cheat and hate their fellow man because they don't fall under their belief system.

hell im betting not even 20% of americans can tell me more than 3 amendments in our constitution muchless 5 rules in the bible other than those they wish to push for. they ignore the whole picture by their assumption.

religion to me is like the game telephone. its slowly changed and diluted each time man spread the word, but did it for their own reasons. that's why I say to not accept religion in government as did our founding fathers (even though they knew religion would be part of its folks)

Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
So denying me service is "religious freedom" But if I say "happy holidays" it is a war on Christianity.

Seriously people.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:10 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
No true. Go info an Apple store wearing a shirt that says Samsung rules and see how long you're permitted to remain there. It is free speech but that right doesn't extend to inside of a store. There are women only gyms. There are all kinds of discrimination. You're confusing public and privately owned places. My store my rules. A business can also prohibit a lot of things that are rights in public places but once you enter a store tough luck.

I bet the geeks who work there wouldn't even care they are used to debate about mac vs pc they may even welcome it, if you have money you are willing to spend you could probably walk in there with a t-shirt that reads Apple Sucks and not be turned away lol.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What's funny about the outrage over the new law is that it has zip to do with the baker's refusal.

Gay rights advocates should at least grasp the real issue. Indiana doesn't have a law against sexual orientation discrimination. The baker could have said, You're icky, and Legally refused service.
But several cities in Indiana do. This law now makes them virtually worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events