Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
The right to bear arms is one of them. A background check is not adequate. People can fake it well enough like Lubitz with German Wings did, then you can make history. A residence check to see that the firearm is stored in a secure place so a young teen can't get access to it is necessary.

Please don't equate gays with black discrimination. It is not close on multiple levels.
Why don't you tell that to Congressman John Lewis?

John Lewis was one of the original Freedom Riders. He's the last living member of the Big Six from the Civil Rights era. On Bloody Sunday in Selma, while peacefully marching for the right to register and to vote, he was attacked by Alabama State Troopers and their dogs, and had his skull fractured.

Here's a photograph of him on that very day:

And what does Congressman Lewis have to say about discrimination against gays as it relates to discrimination against blacks?

Quote:
This discrimination is wrong. We cannot keep turning our backs on gay and lesbian Americans. I have fought too hard and too long against discrimination based on race and color not to stand up against discrimination based on sexual orientation. I've heard the reasons for opposing civil marriage for same-sex couples. Cut through the distractions, and they stink of the same fear, hatred, and intolerance I have known in racism and in bigotry.
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/10/25/at_a_crossroads_on_gay_unions/

John Lewis bled for the civil rights of blacks. He is a giant of the Civil Rights movement, and a towering giant of an American. Here's the contact information for Congressman Lewis:
https://johnlewis.house.gov/contact-me

Why don't you drop him a note and explain how wrong he is to make the comparison he makes. Be sure to school him on civil rights - I'm sure he has lots to learn from you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
WRONG - historically blacks were view as inferior. Gays are seen as sinners by committing acts of unnatural sex that are against the teachings of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Baha'iism, etc.

The ACT is a sin, the people are no less inferior or superior than any of God's children.
THE PEOPLE ARE GAY... they cant help how they feel or act.. and of course they are seen by some as inferior..

Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I would joke and invoke Godwin's Law if this were not so serious.

To compare not being able to buy flowers for your gay wedding from the flower shop of your choice with the murder of millions of people is despicable and disgusting to the nth degree.

Good point. The argument of last resort Reductio ad Hitlerum

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I disagree... both stem from Hate....
blacks because they were different and seen as "inferior" so of course the hate on gays is equal to other prejudice like racism.
Hate is probably the only common ground... So, I disagree.

You can hide being gay. There is that "in the closet" term ya know - You cannot hide being black, brown or multi-racial.

In the media, people see gays as non-threatening while there's mostly negative views associated with blacks or minorities because that is what is predominantly shown.

Discrimination is immediate when you are another color while being gay may not be detected for a long, long time unless you announce or openly display it.

There's many more examples too. Having said that, I don't think blacks should get a free lunch, a sympathy pass, or affirmative action (unless it's a Silcon Valley tech company).

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
THE PEOPLE ARE GAY... they cant help how they feel or act.. and of course they are seen by some as inferior..

WOW, you think Gay people can't help how they act or feel? You are equating a homosexual to an animal that is incapable of self-control??? If that is how you think, the issue is with you!

Someone who sins is not inferior. This may be news to you, but every human being is fallible and thus a sinner.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Why don't you tell that to Congressman John Lewis?

John Lewis was one of the original Freedom Riders. He's the last living member of the Big Six from the Civil Rights era. On Bloody Sunday in Selma, while peacefully marching for the right to register and to vote, he was attacked by Alabama State Troopers and their dogs, and had his skull fractured.

John Lewis bled for the civil rights of blacks. He is a giant of the Civil Rights movement, and a towering giant of an American. Here's the contact information for Congressman Lewis:
https://johnlewis.house.gov/contact-me

Why don't you drop him a note and explain how wrong he is to make the comparison he makes. Be sure to school him on civil rights - I'm sure he has lots to learn from you...
Bully for John Lewis, but his is one opinion. I know a lot of blacks who are adamantly opposed to such comparisons.

Gay Rights Don't Compare to Civil Rights, Say 100 African-American Pastors

Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
It is discrimination but I can't understand why either side should care that much.

How is delivering some flowers condoning gay marriage? If God objected couldn't He wilt the flowers?

LOL

Are florists that hard to find? Why couldn't the loving couple find another florist? Why make a big deal out of this trivial *****?

psik

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Right. And the Jewish and Muslim faiths also teach that homosexuality is an abomination, so that shows this has nothing to do specifically with Christianity.
And they are not allowed to break the law either. Some Muslims believe in marrying children, but to do so would violate generally applicable law. They can not claim first amendment protections to violate the law and neither can Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, or pastafarians.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
WOW, you think Gay people can't help how they act or feel? You are equating a homosexual to an animal that is incapable of self-control??? If that is how you think, the issue is with you!

Someone who sins is not inferior. This may be news to you, but every human being is fallible and thus a sinner.
Dont you dare go there.... you knew exactly what I was saying...........we as hetrosexuals cant help how we feel can we... your being rude and silly and trying to take me down..or twist my words.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Invalid. We are discussing RELIGEOUS freedom and RELIGIOUS beliefs. NOT POLITICAL Ideology.

Try learning from something other than Wikipedia and you might learn how to think for yourself and argue without falling back on fallacies and tactics people use when they have no valid argument.
It's crazy isn't it.

If I owned a bakery or flower joint or banquet hall, I could legally refuse business from the Hillary or Bush prez campaigns, or Planned Parenthood or American Right to Life, or the Chamber of Commerce or AFL-CIO, because I don't like what they represent.

otoh, I'd be in trouble for not serving the White Aryan Resistance or New Black Panther Party, or GLADD or the Westboro Baptist Church, or the Council on American-Muslim Relations or the Jewish Defense League, etc..

Though I'm not religious, I have values and beliefs. Honesty is among them, but if forced by law to associate with a business with beliefs or acts that I want no part of, I'd lie to avoid those customers.

The florist was honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events