Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM

259 posts, read 178,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Un-Politically Incorrect = Politically Correct

Drop Un and the term is Politically Incorrect.

Which are you looking for?

Why are all incidents like these from all corners of the world viewed with an American slant?
This is an American forum and many Americans seem to view their country as the center of the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,272 times
Nothing is off limits.

Some things bother me, and I will respond accordingly, but I think that there are no words that shouldn't be said just because it makes someone sad/mad.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyu86 View Post
This is an American forum and many Americans seem to view their country as the center of the universe.

You don't know much about C-D.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You don't know much about C-D.
It's Russian, in fact.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
this post really doesn't address the premise of my thread. regardless of education/available facts, is there anything that is untouchable?
I recently watched a show where people from opposing sides of ongoing wars sat down to dinner and expressed themselves civilly. I don't think truth is a PC issue. It's good taste vs ill manners.

Ever hear of the Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom?

What an unbelievably sick person.

Sade is where the word sadism and sadistic comes from.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If having a politically incorrect viewpoint bars you from keeping a job and earning a living then we really do not have the freedom to speak. You know that as well as I do. If this is to be the case then you need to fear speaking out as much as if the government were locking people up for it. (and some want that too!) What the left wants is to silence those who oppose them, and this new tactic is working in grand fashion. I agree that free speech has consequences, but they should remain social consequences not official ones. Ending ones ability to earn a living is an official consequence, and very effective in ending free speech as we know it. No one on the left will ever admit this because the tactic is now working so well for them, but if it were being done against them imagine the outcry. Imagine if people were being fired from their jobs because they argued for special rights for gays, or programs for minorities. Imagine if they were losing their jobs because they spoke out in support of abortion. Would you still be ok with it if the situation were reversed?

The radio station is offering a product, and country music listeners are known to be conservative. The listeners have turned against this song because of perceived gay tones to it. I don't know the song so I really don't know if they are there or not, but that is not the point. If listeners tune out then the station loses advertising revenue. The outcry is related to the product being sold. That is different than employees being prohibited from speaking on political issues. Employees views have nothing to do with the product of a company.

If conservative views become impossible to speak on publically because of this infringement of speech that is spreading then consequences may arise in the future. There is already a feeling in red state America that we are disenfranchised, that outside forces are imposing this "new America" upon us. Restricting our ability to speak out only creates more anger, more resentment and more division in this not so United States. The serious divisions in this nation already cast a shadow on our future, and divisions like the ones we have now have led to terrible conseqences in our past. Any one who knows anything about our history can look at election maps and see the division between red and blue looks so very similar to those from the 1850s and 1860. The issues of political correctness, free speech issues, states rights issues and the progressive agenda and how its being implemented through the federal government are all part of the same story, and all of it is leading to more and more division. Not in living memory has this nation been so deeply divided, and as the nation becomes more Orwellian the danger rises, danger of some very bad history repeating itself. You can see hints at what could happen in the Alabama gay marriage saga. Many state officials are still defying a federal court order. Why are they doing this??? They feel their rights are being violated, and are now willing to take that chance. Those kinds of feelings can spread. Also look back to the citizens and even states who defied the closing of national parks during the government shutdown. In 2012 after the election hundreds of thousands of people in conservative states signed secession petitions. Secession has not been so publically talked about in this nation in 150 years. Some very rebellious attitudes toward federal government are out there already.. I know this speech issue is very different and we are talking about private entities who are infringing on the right to speak out, but these things are often linked in the minds of people on the conservative side. There is a deep resentment of all this progressivism, and a hatred of political correctness. The idea that it could be enforced by your employer or even the government enrages many people. We need to get back to our American ideals, let states run their own affairs where they can choose to be as liberal or as conservative as their people choose to be, respect the bill of rights and allow citizens their basic freedoms. Just the idea of Political correctness brings to mind "thought police" and Orwells 1984. I can think of nothing that is more un-American than that.
no. it is not different. it is exactly the same. people are free to boycott and protest whatever they want. it has nothing to do with a liberal agenda. it sounds like you are upset, because these tactics aren't as effective for those trying to push their conservative agenda.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Actually, I have friends who live in NC, and they said people there cannot even use that term when requesting an order in a restaurant.
Just because you haven't experienced something yourself doesn't mean it never happens.

Second, I didn't say anything about anyone 'handling' insulting vocabulary- I said people with common sense and basic respect for other people didn't use it. Re: random examples- 'the N word,' or 'the Q word' (rhymes with 'near') we were brought up with "Decent people don't talk that way."
first, my husband is from Raleigh and we drive there frequently from our home in Hampton Roads. I almost, always drink my coffee black. (first and a half anecdotal evidence on the internet means nothing at all.)

second, then the world must have been filled to the brim with indecent people at that time. (still is, but now descent people call them out on there nonsense.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM

165 posts, read 169,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I made a post that the moderator called racist and chastised me and gave me a point on my record. I see posts all the time that are more racist than my joke comment.
Same here. Apparently, making a joke about my own ethnicity that my friends, family, associates and even forum members of the same ethnicity either find funny, corny or indifferent to warrants a digital Scarlett "A" by the control freaks that are called "moderators" on these forums.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
All this politically correct stuff just serves to push me further the other way. It makes me be a 'worse' person, if it's judged by that yardstick.
you chose to be a worse person. perhaps you were never a good person.

i'll share here. growing up everyone around me called asians orientals, including me. i was from a small rural community in california. farms everywhere. none of them grew enlightenment. but, you know where i learned what asians wanted to be called? where i learned there was ever an issue about what asians wanted to be called? MTV. but you know what. i have not referred to an asian as an oriental since. i made a little note: they deserve to decide what they should be called. it's no burden on me.

that is why i do not understand, for the life of me, the washington redskins. if a group, which has been systematically marginalized and disenfranchised tells you that they are hurt, not offended, direspected by the name of a stupid football team, why not change it? why put it up for debate for everyone to debate? people who have not dealt with the racism and challenges real native americans have faced.

why is it so hard for some people to refer to a transgender person using the gender they have chosen? they're not harming anyone. they're just trying to live their lives.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
For The Un-Politically Incorrect

^not sure who you addressing here due to the double-negative. you want input from people who are politically correct to answer?
i do believe the title was changed. i recall writing "un-politically Correct"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events