Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:28 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
What topics, if any, should be off limits and worthy of outrage?

Sweet Injustice: French Bakery Ordered To Remove 'Racist' Cakes - Breitbart
This is worthy of outrage in my opinion. Thanks for sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What matters is how well an opinion or theory can be backed up with facts and logic, not how offensive some people think it is.
^^^^^^^^This!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 PM

687 posts, read 915,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Many conservative are itching to live somewhere where their racism is allowed.
I think you have your cause and effect a little bit off.

Many conservatives are just looking for places where crime and thuggery ISN'T tolerated.

You know, places one can safely raise kids and live a normal life without having to look at drug dealers on every corner, where unmarried single moms constitute the average "family", or where one has to worry about everything from being carjacked to having a random gang-related bullet fly through their window at two in the morning.

It's also nice to not have to live somewhere where rap music gets blasted all night when us normal folks have to get up and go to real jobs in the morning. Just an added bonus I guess.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
I think even the most anti PC people have a sacred cow. very few people don't.

I am a conservative and I detest political correctness. Do those of us who oppose PC have a so called "sacred cow"? No I don't think so. Anyone who believes in freedom of speech should accept that everyone has the right to express their views. Now if those views are repugnant then those expressing them may be shunned by people who hear it. What should never happen is any kind of government action against them for it, nor should a corporation be able to fire them from their job for it. Government action would violate the constitution, should never happen. Hate speech laws are an example of this kind of thing. Also corporate action against employees who are off the clock should be protected. This may not be part of our constitution as corporations are not government but private entities, but their actions to silence those who say things they do not approve of is another way of enforcing political correctness. Liberal activist groups have learned that corporations fear boycotts and court action so its much easier for the employers to cave into them and promote whatever agenda the threatening special interest group promotes. This includes things like special rights for homosexuals, promoting certain ethic groups, womens groups etc. Employees have been fired for speaking publically or on the internet against these interest groups. We need laws to protect this speech, as it has been exposed as a hole in our right to speak freely.

Personally I do not like insulting statements against God, nor do I like hearing rants against white European people. I also really hate Nazi symbols, those people were the most evil force ever to exist on this planet. Seeing Americans support Nazi ideology or display their swastikas makes me sick. Its also highly insulting to our grandparents generation that sacrificed so much to stop those evil barbarians. However as a freedom loving American I would gladly go to war to protect the right of those atheist and racist to speak freely. I feel the same way about KKK rallies or even Nazi rallies. Those people are total idiots, but as a free and educated society we need to let them speak, then we reject their stupidity. If they can go to jail, be fined, or lose their jobs they do not really have the right to speak. The age of political correctness had led to an environment where people are now willing to pass laws enforcing it. This is dangerous and its a path to dictatorship. Its a sad sign that Orwells 1984 is coming true, just 3 decades late. The "thought police" and modern PC and hate speech laws are very similar.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
this post really doesn't address the premise of my thread. regardless of education/available facts, is there anything that is untouchable?
You asked a question that I posted my opinioned answer to. Should things be shunned?

I feel education would correct any misgivings over time - as nothing is instant when it comes to changing minds.

As to your current question, I cant tell you what is untouchable. It would seem to me, to be genuinely fair to everyone, noone should be touchable, as I original said in my first post on your thread.

I will trouble your thread no longer. Peace.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
"Political correctness" and legal consequences are not the same thing. Political correctness involves societal acceptance of an idea, not its legal status. The example posted in the OP is of a case where there something has been deemed illegal. That is not the same as something being politically incorrect.

I think that shop should be shamed publicly by people, but I do not think there should be laws banning racism. That is France, not the US, however.

In other words, this example posted has nothing to do with political correctness.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I think you have your cause and effect a little bit off.

Many conservatives are just looking for places where crime and thuggery ISN'T tolerated.

You know, places one can safely raise kids and live a normal life without having to look at drug dealers on every corner, where unmarried single moms constitute the average "family", or where one has to worry about everything from being carjacked to having a random gang-related bullet fly through their window at two in the morning.

It's also nice to not have to live somewhere where rap music gets blasted all night when us normal folks have to get up and go to real jobs in the morning. Just an added bonus I guess.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. This particular thread is geared towards the conservative opinion that there shouldn't be outrage towards their racism. In France at that... Conservatives seem to believe that someone calling them on their racism is somehow a PC issue... It isn't...

Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
I personally don't think a government should regulate what we say or the design of a cake, but what I am speaking about is the anti PC sentiment that many express regarding stories such as these. there seems to be an outrage against outrage. there are people who don't understand the first amendment and think it means that other individuals should not react or respond to people who say or do things that others find offensive.
Californian34, France does not have the 1st amendment! What happened here did not happen in America. But if it did personally I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
but many opinions cannot be backed up by facts, so should the people who express them be quieted or shunned by society?
Shunning would just be practicing your freedom to associate, wouldn't it? Should I not shun a gangster or child molester because they have the freedom to commit their crimes of choice? And yes, everyone has the freedom to do good or evil, it's called free will. But there is a consequence.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I made a post that the moderator called racist and chastised me and gave me a point on my record. I see posts all the time that are more racist than my joke comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events